My impressions of the Solarforce L2 R2, 5-mode

highseas

Newly Enlightened
So I received a Solarforce L2 R2, 5-mode two days ago, and have played with it. I wouldn't call this a review as I have no scientific measurements, etc. However I can give you some impressions that I have of the product in case you are thinking about this light.

1. Fit-and-finish is impeccable. It's a beautiful light with good machining. I got the glossy black version with a defensive bezel. It is high quality.

2. There are lots of configurations of the L2 out there on eBay, you have to look carefully for the details. There are the Q5 versions, and also the R2, and within these two versions there is a single mode version (either max. 300 lumens or 275 lumens, advertised levels), or a 5-mode version. I got the one that is advertised to have (300 lumens high, 150 lumens medium, 20 lumens low, strobe, SOS).

3. My bulb has memory so that if I use medium most often, I can just leave it on at that level for about 2-3 seconds and next time it will come on at that level again. It is a plus.

4. I have no way of measuring the lumens output, but I had a Coleman MAX that was at 115 lumens. Both the medium and high levels are definitely brighter than 115 lumens. It is the brighter light i have ever had. Big plus.

5. HOWEVER, unlike what is advertised, the low level is also very bright, and approaches the 115 lumens by the naked eye. I can almost safely say it is brighter than 20 lumens. I was told that at the low mode it would run 30 hours. NOT. Unless I got a dud, at low mode the light does not last more than 3.5 hours on freshly charged batteries (maybe 3 hours, but I felt asleep while testing). This tells me that an alternative description by another vendor was probably the more correct description of lumens output of this particular configuration: (high 300 1 hour, medium 195 1.3 hours, low 125 2 hours.) Is it just me, but if 2 CR123 batteries can only last 2-3 hours at what I estimate to be between 70 to 100 lumens--the runtime is not very impressive. This makes it not as useful for me (for the same reason I didn't get the Fenix TK11. I don't need a "low" mode that runs at 60 lumens. Can anyone tell me where can I find a VERY HIGH and VERY LOW combined in one flashlight? Is L2D it?)

6. All in all I like the shape and style of the product, and also the power, compared to the Coleman MAX 115 lumens that I had. However, I am very disappointed by the low runtimes, esp. at low. I wanted one with a powerful high, and a low that can last a long time. I was hoping that the low would last at least 10-15 hours but no. In contrast, the Coleman MAX at 115 lumens can run 8 hours (advertised, not tested).

I was testing the low mode using freshly recharged 3.7v 880 CR123 batteries.

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have a DMM? That's probably the best way to figure out what the runtime values would really be.

Once you know the mA draw from high, medium, and low, you can use that to figure out what your runtime would be with 3.0v primaries (usually have 1300 to 1550 mAh capacity) and 3.7v 880 mAh rechargeables.

Some eBay vendors exaggerate their numbers and specs, so it's hard to determine what is truth and what is there simply to catch peoples attention.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Solarforce lumen specs are completely bogus. Disregard them completely, or you'll go nuts trying to figure out whats wrong with your light. FWIW, my R2-M drop in seems to be around 45 Lumens on low. I'm lucky to get 150 Lumens out of it on high. IMHO its still a good value product and I am happy with my purchase... its just not what the manufacturer claims it is.;)

Last edited:

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I just got the new Solarforce L2 Pewter version yesterday... I've got a few Surefire 6Ps, C2s and black Solarforce L2s, but never got around to getting the Gunmetal 6P and so I figured the pewter L2 would be the next bang for the buck best thing. Sure enough, I am again thoroughly impressed by the quality of Solarforce L2s. Granted that the Surefire 6P design has been around since the 80s, you'd have to almost wonder if someone at Solarforce somehow copied the manufacturing process of the 6P from Surefire. Anyway, I really like my new pewter Solarforce L2 and the finish reminds me of my pewter colored Maglites just like the black L2 reminds of my black Mags. I honestly got bored with the L2 for a while wishing that Solarforce would come out with design variations and to a point took for granted the quality of it until a recent purchase of Ultrafire's Surefire C2 Clone, the Ultrafire C1. While the Ultrafire C1 is parts compatible with Surefire C series format flashlights, it is noticebaly inferior in quality compared to the Solarforce L2.

For those who are not hard set on only getting Surefires as hosts for P60LED dropins, I really think the next best choice is the Solarforce L2 and an extremely great value for what they cost ($24 for a single-mode Cree equiped one on ebay). I've got a Malkoff Devices M60 in one of mines.

Oh and yeah, don't pay attention to any specs you read off those ebay descriptions as they are often erroneous and it looks like most dealers just copy the information from each other...hence, one error snowballs to everyone. Since aftermarket P60LED dropins are abundant, you can get a good general idea of their performance capabilities from reputable manufacturers and dealers (like Lumens Factory, Malkoff Devices or Bugout Gear).

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally decided to enter the P60 world with what appears to be a decent yet affordable host based on the feedback on the forum.

I ordered a Solarforce L2 R2M (5-mode) that has the 18650 body, includes a Solarforce 18650 cell and a holster - all for $25.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two L2's, one with the Solarforce single mode R2, and one with the DX single mode R2. The DX is brighter, but both are good. I agree with Kramer that they're excellent value for money, despite the inaccurate claims. I prefer that to accurate specs and rubbish quality anyway. :)

seaside

Enlightened
I have two L2's, one with the Solarforce single mode R2, and one with the DX single mode R2. The DX is brighter, but both are good. I agree with Kramer that they're excellent value for money, despite the inaccurate claims. I prefer that to accurate specs and rubbish quality anyway. :)

Yup, what Zatoich said.
I have both drop-ins and solarforce L2. DX single mode R2 (11826) is bit brighter, and both are quite nice even if they have ringy beam pattern. Their lumen rating is nowhere near accurate though, both drop-ins are very useful and good value for the money. I also agree tht solarforce L2 is one hell of p60 host at very reasonable price.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I received a Solarforce L2 R2, 5-mode two days ago, and have played with it. I wouldn't call this a review as I have no scientific measurements, etc. However I can give you some impressions that I have of the product in case you are thinking about this light.

1. Fit-and-finish is impeccable. It's a beautiful light with good machining. I got the glossy black version with a defensive bezel. It is high quality.

2. There are lots of configurations of the L2 out there on eBay, you have to look carefully for the details. There are the Q5 versions, and also the R2, and within these two versions there is a single mode version (either max. 300 lumens or 275 lumens, advertised levels), or a 5-mode version. I got the one that is advertised to have (300 lumens high, 150 lumens medium, 20 lumens low, strobe, SOS).

3. My bulb has memory so that if I use medium most often, I can just leave it on at that level for about 2-3 seconds and next time it will come on at that level again. It is a plus.

4. I have no way of measuring the lumens output, but I had a Coleman MAX that was at 115 lumens. Both the medium and high levels are definitely brighter than 115 lumens. It is the brighter light i have ever had. Big plus.

5. HOWEVER, unlike what is advertised, the low level is also very bright, and approaches the 115 lumens by the naked eye. I can almost safely say it is brighter than 20 lumens. I was told that at the low mode it would run 30 hours. NOT. Unless I got a dud, at low mode the light does not last more than 3.5 hours on freshly charged batteries (maybe 3 hours, but I felt asleep while testing). This tells me that an alternative description by another vendor was probably the more correct description of lumens output of this particular configuration: (high 300 1 hour, medium 195 1.3 hours, low 125 2 hours.) Is it just me, but if 2 CR123 batteries can only last 2-3 hours at what I estimate to be between 70 to 100 lumens--the runtime is not very impressive. This makes it not as useful for me (for the same reason I didn't get the Fenix TK11. I don't need a "low" mode that runs at 60 lumens. Can anyone tell me where can I find a VERY HIGH and VERY LOW combined in one flashlight? Is L2D it?)

6. All in all I like the shape and style of the product, and also the power, compared to the Coleman MAX 115 lumens that I had. However, I am very disappointed by the low runtimes, esp. at low. I wanted one with a powerful high, and a low that can last a long time. I was hoping that the low would last at least 10-15 hours but no. In contrast, the Coleman MAX at 115 lumens can run 8 hours (advertised, not tested).

I was testing the low mode using freshly recharged 3.7v 880 CR123 batteries.

Yeah , with a 18650 Batt , my low draws 300mA , which should give 6 to 8 hours run time dep on the batt capacity ..

The new Ultrafire 3000mA batts look good for R2 applications , and if they have a true 2800 to 2900mA capacity , then they should last all night long on Lo ...

But yes , the Solarforce L2 has a very high Lo , but I also think its one of the best R2 [ 2xCR123A size ] value for money flashlights out there .

Just hit it with the multimeter , 320mA on Lo , so 6 to 8 hours on a 18650 .

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=1845

This driver may be a good option if your looking for a lower medium and low .

On my Cree P4 Romisen mod , Hi is 700-800mA dep on batt used .
o.33mA on Med and o.07mA on Lo . + Strobe - SOS and it has memory .
So could be the answer for many , but input is 4.5v max so your going to be using 1xCR123A [ Short Body L2 ] or 18650 ...

So far I have ordered one more of these drivers , I like it , but have nothing to compare it too ATM ... [ Come on DX ]

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my Solarforce L2 R2 5-mode light today.

My first impression was that it is bigger than I had expected, particularly the bezel area.
This is my first P60 host and the only other one I've handled in person was a SureFire G2L.

I gotta say this thing is built like a tank.

It works well on the unprotected 18650 that came with it, as well as an AW protected 17670.

My only complaint would be that it came with a noname unprotected 18650 cell.

I was hoping it would have come with a protected 18650, but to get the light, holster, and an 18650 battery all for only $25 I can't really complain.

Going to order a grey/pewter one next and I'll be set for hosts for awhile....then I'll start accumulating drop-ins :D

Last edited:

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Great brightness for the money, and agree with how well built it is, but the lack of a proper low limits the usefulness for me. Using it in the rain, you can see the PWM quite easily on the raindrops and I would estimate the mark:space ratio on low to be around 30%, so the 150 lm on high and around 50-60 on low sounds about right, as does the 3 hour runtime on low.

Would also prefer a forward clicky and get rid of the strobe/SOS which I won't be using on this light.

But . . . these niggles aside, it's a helluva lot of light for the money. Because of the price it doesn't matter so much if it gets bashed around a bit, dropped in the mud and so on, so it may well get quite a lot of use !

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have 2 of these on the way:D can anyone say if they tail stand?

Only if you got this tailcap on the left.

img0001p.jpg

dirtech

Enlightened
The one I just received tail stands.

I can definately tell a difference in quality from my Jet IIIM, but I wasn't expecting that quality anyway. It has a much cooler tint than the R2's in my EagleTac M2XC4. A little bit of battery rattle with an AW 18650. For $25, I'm satisfied with this host. Now I can play around with other dropins.:twothumbs

dirtech

Enlightened
Well that's interesting - do you mean the standard configuration, or with the optional tailcap? My wife just placed an order for one, so I'm wondering what will show up.

I ordered a flat bezel 5 mode R2 version with memory for 25 smackaroos. No optional tail switch.

ETA- I'll add that my tail switch does not look like Zeruel's. It looks just like the standard switch but the button is recessed enough so that it is slightly less than flush with the end of the tail cap.

Last edited:

boomhauer

Banned
I ordered a flat bezel 5 mode R2 version with memory for 25 smackaroos. No optional tail switch.

ETA- I'll add that my tail switch does not look like Zeruel's. It looks just like the standard switch but the button is recessed enough so that it is slightly less than flush with the end of the tail cap.

That's what we ordered (from Solarforcestore - I assume this is where you got your's). Cool beans. Still a reverse clicky?