Non-LED headlamp?

Jerimoth

Newly Enlightened
I've been a bit frustrated by the flatness of field effect you get with the LED headlamps. Any recommendations for sources for incandescent/xenon/HID lamps? To be used in SAR, and also in case of foggy nights where the LED light seems to scatter more.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
high power incan --> Silva

headlamp in fog --> no

runtime --> Led

flat field / color rendering / ... --> what Led/incan headlamps are You comparing?
... because the standard Duo/Zoom/Myo is in no way up to the better headlamps (which unfortunately still tend not to have Cree/Seouls mounted already; and the "usual" Led-headlamp the unenlighted considers as "good", is crap. That multiple 5mm led ones like Zipka and such are built to give a bit of light - enough for navigating - for a very long time, and thats what they do)

Jerimoth

Newly Enlightened
When moving fast across very complex terrain, I've found that my Apex- perhaps because of color, I'm not sure- makes the field in front of me seem flatter than incandescents. I tried a NitePro (normally used by cyclists) and it seemed significantly easier to use and I tripped over stumps, waterbars, rocks, less often. The problem is that the mount for the light seems easily breakable, so I was curious what else was out there.

Prior to the Apex I had been using "hybrid" headlamps- a black diamonds, princeton techs, but the incandescent bulb wasn't very impressive. I'll look into the Silva, but I'm also thinking that if there has been any progress in the hot wire world then the hybrid model- with LEDs at backups- could be interesting again.

ifor powell

Enlightened
Well having used a big Silva 20W hallogen for years night Orientearing. I have now moved onto a home made led setup. For the amount of light you can get with the same power there is no comparisone and then the dimming capabilities adds even more to the mix.

There is no substitute for lots of lumen if you are going across country in rough terain. You want to be able to look off into the distance with good throw to pick out your rought at the same time as having enough light at your feet so you will pick up those trip hazards without realy having to concentrate on them. For a single led setup a moded Apex dose a good job for the throw part of the job but there is not realy enough spill to be comfortable with those periferal trip hazards, you have to bring the main beam to bear. My small teraining light is a 2 led setup with one diffuse optic for spill and a spot for throw. Unfortunatly I don't know of anything like this comercialy. You go from single hight power led reasonable price straight to the very expencive 4+ led setup which are generaly a crossover from the biking market.

As for the colour so far I have only used the cool whites but I do plan to try somthing with a neutral white mc-e sometime during the winter.

Ifor