"Parts is Parts" Can you still get them?

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
It appears that new lights arrive on the scene every day. They also seem to disappear quickly too along with the companies that make them. Are you concerned about the available parts for lights? There are some really nice lights out there, but will you still be able to get parts a year from now, or even 6 months? What do people think about light parts? are they critical or should we all just go out and buy the "latest and greatest light at the time?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If you're concerned about parts being available for your lights several years down the road, buy Surefire models. Not only is Surefire not likely to go out of business, but there are both companies and individuals that make every single part you can think of. Everything from tailcaps (McClicky), to barrels (Leef), to heads (too numerous to name), to drop-ins (also too numerous to name, but Malkoff M60 for sure).

Sticking with American-based companies is a good bet. While Streamlight doesn't have the aftermarket support that Surefire enjoys, it's a safe bet that the company will be around in a few years to sell you a replacement tailcap if you need one.

If parts availability is a critical issue, buying the latest & greatest from a company that seemingly sprung up overnight; not the best idea.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
It appears that new lights arrive on the scene every day. They also seem to disappear quickly too along with the companies that make them. Are you concerned about the available parts for lights? There are some really nice lights out there, but will you still be able to get parts a year from now, or even 6 months? What do people think about light parts? are they critical or should we all just go out and buy the "latest and greatest light at the time?
Good question. I think it depends on what you already have. If you have some lights by mainstream manufactures I don't see a problem with going with the latest and greatest from a new company. I already have Maglites,Surefires,Inovas,and Princeton Tecs so I don't worry about it.
However, if the light you have is your only one or you have to depend on it in case of emergency I think you would be better served with a quality light from a company that has been in business for awhile and that can supply parts.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is indeed a worry of buying small brands and is part of the reason kept me away most of the new flashlight brands out of china. It's as if the word got out that there are a bunch of dweebs on an internet forum will shell out hundreds of dollars for flashlights, and everybody and their brother is setting up a company to make them. When the profit start to drop for whatever reason, they'll probably start to disappear quicker than they pop up.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I do not worry about parts, in todays consumer marked it is usual cheaper to replace a defective light, than order multiple spare parts, especially when the light is a few years old.
The exception will be some very expensive lights (Like titanium lights).

carrot

Flashaholic
I don't worry about parts. I have two McLux PD's and plenty of Surefires. If I needed something badly enough it would probably be worth my while to have a custom maker make new parts for me, should I be unable to get parts from the OEM.

As for flashlights of the month, they are just that. Use 'em to the ground and then get the next flashlight of the month.

IcantC

Enlightened
If you're concerned about parts being available for your lights several years down the road, buy Surefire models. Not only is Surefire not likely to go out of business, but there are both companies and individuals that make every single part you can think of. Everything from tailcaps (McClicky), to barrels (Leef), to heads (too numerous to name), to drop-ins (also too numerous to name, but Malkoff M60 for sure).

Sticking with American-based companies is a good bet. While Streamlight doesn't have the aftermarket support that Surefire enjoys, it's a safe bet that the company will be around in a few years to sell you a replacement tailcap if you need one.

If parts availability is a critical issue, buying the latest & greatest from a company that seemingly sprung up overnight; not the best idea.

+1! Main reason my main lights are SF and M@g. There is/are plenty of parts and aftermarket parts for them.

I purchased a Jetbeam CL-E, great little light. But after seeing some issues with the company and other ones disappear/reappear or not support older models, I decided to stick with SF/M@g for my main use lights. Or as Carrot says, use and run them to the ground and throw away.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree completely about having serious lights come from an established maker. I've always felt secure with Inova's/Surefire's. I do buy a lot of the import lights, but do so as a lover of new gimmick lights of any kind (aka flashaholism in the 1st degree :grin2:). There are many, however, that buy them as a lower priced "serious light" alternative. I think that is where the parts issue can hurt.

Closet_Flashaholic

Enlightened
Another possible approach is to have identical backups..

"Why buy 1 when you can have 2 at twice the price?"

Use one, keep the other as a backup/spare parts.

This philosophy is appropriate for many things other than just flashlights.. If you have something that you deem "critical" (for however you define critical) than don't you think you should have backup?

Just sayin'.........

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
God, I need to go watch that movie again. It was - get this - science fiction that was actually about doing science!

Latest posts