LED for car spotlight / high beam light

puzzl3

Banned
Seoul Semiconductor's P7 Emitters (W724C0-DSW0J)
Hi, I want to build this LED for my car as a spot light. Will 10 Pcs be enough to be put in wiring for high beam only. ( will only last 15 second each time ).

If so, I have a few questions i'm hoping that you would know.

1. Car battery is 12 Volts, How do i manage to power it up with 12 Volts?

2. What about the reflector? What kind should i use?

3. How big is the dimension if i wanna build 5 Pcs ? Total 2 light for right and left.

4. Do you any suggestion on how i should do this?

Thanks.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since while your car is running you get 14.4 volts you can use 3 in series and get a 2.8 amp regulator board for them. What you can do is mount them on a kind of 3 sided pyramid glued with heatsink compound to a heatsink plate. The pyramid will keep the light centered in the reflector so they can be mounted in a regular reflector and still work.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since while your car is running you get 14.4 volts you can use 3 in series and get a 2.8 amp regulator board for them. What you can do is mount them on a kind of 3 sided pyramid glued with heatsink compound to a heatsink plate. The pyramid will keep the light centered in the reflector so they can be mounted in a regular reflector and still work.

3 P7s will NEVER work in a normal reflector. You need three separate reflectors.

artec540

Enlightened
Seoul Semiconductor's P7 Emitters (W724C0-DSW0J)
Hi, I want to build this LED for my car as a spot light. Will 10 Pcs be enough to be put in wiring for high beam only. ( will only last 15 second each time ).

If so, I have a few questions i'm hoping that you would know.

1. Car battery is 12 Volts, How do i manage to power it up with 12 Volts?

2. What about the reflector? What kind should i use?

3. How big is the dimension if i wanna build 5 Pcs ? Total 2 light for right and left.

4. Do you any suggestion on how i should do this?

Thanks.

Why not use Xenon (HID) lamps that are already commercially available and have appropriate reflectors and lens patterns?

puzzl3

Banned
I live outside US and sometimes i go on road where there are a lots of busses that stop uncontrollable (even cops cant do anything). The only thing that would drive them away is bright lights.
Xenon needs 15-30 seconds to reach fully brightness and i only need to use it more than 20 times a day and each time is less than 15 seconds.
LED has an instant strike unlike HID.
I'm very unfamiliar with LED and i want to ask you guys some questions and hoping i could get it done.
Thanks

superflytnt

Enlightened
I live outside US and sometimes i go on road where there are a lots of busses that stop uncontrollable (even cops cant do anything). The only thing that would drive them away is bright lights.
Xenon needs 15-30 seconds to reach fully brightness and i only need to use it more than 20 times a day and each time is less than 15 seconds.
LED has an instant strike unlike HID.
I'm very unfamiliar with LED and i want to ask you guys some questions and hoping i could get it done.
Thanks

If it were me, I would just get a cheap 55w halogen spotlight that can be had on ebay for around $10 shipped. I actually use one as the headlight on my scooter (just the reflector/bulb hardwired into scooter electronics) and it's the same output as a car headlight. It won't be as bright as 10-P7's but it'll DEFINITELY get someones attention from a couple miles away and they throw really far with that huge smooth reflector.........................

something like this.............http://cgi.ebay.com/New-12V-Halogen...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Last edited: