Need help with Surefire decision, please!

Drjones

Enlightened
Hi all.

I'm new here and thought I'd seek your opinions.

I want a Surefire to carry mainly as an additional defensive tool (those things are blinding!) but also because a light is a great thing to have.

I'm considering the following: (In order)

-Surefire C3

-C2

-E2e (probably not though...I like how with the C2/3 you can get a higher-powered lamp and LED assembly, unlike with the E2e)

***Is the C3 too big for EDC? This is my most important question, and I haven't been able to get much help elsewhere on this!!!***

Thanks!

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
depends how you are going to carry it. In a holster it's not bad. But, it's not pocket sized. I would try the G2Z or G2 you can't go wrong with those two and they fit in a jacket pocket pretty well and do better in pants pocket than the C3.

Drjones

Enlightened
I'm planning on carrying in my pocket or maybe IWB(?).

Is the C3 that much brighter than the C2 as to justify the extra size? (Given highest output lamps, that is...)

I just want a *really* bright light.

Thank you!

kalengkong

Newly Enlightened
a really bright light?
get C3 in your case.

i think C3 is the same with M3, it has 2 options , 125lumens for 1 hour, or 225 lumens for 20 minutes.

while C2 has 2 options as well
65 lumens for 1 hour, and 120 lumens for 20 minutes.

correct me if im wrong.

Drjones

Enlightened
Thanks kaleng, but I also want it to be small enough as to be easy to carry often.

I'm thinking C2 perhaps? What do you think?

Does anyone have any comparison pics of the C3 next to a maglite (2AA) or something?

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
-E2e (probably not though...I like how with the C2/3 you can get a higher-powered lamp and LED assembly, unlike with the E2e)

[/ QUOTE ]

The E2e's KL1 retrofit's as bright as that of the C2/3's retrofit of a KL3. The C3's quite big, probably too much so for an EDC. For pocket carry, the C2's probably as big as you'd want to go. The E2e, you can drop into your jeans or shirt pocket.

The only thing you can't do, unless you get an E2C adaptor, is to increase the E2e's output beyond 65 lumens.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Drjones: you can't go wrong with the C2. i EDC one, and the pocket clip and grip ring is very useful! handle one in person if you can, and if you like the size and weight it should suit you just fine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

NCBirdHunter

Newly Enlightened
Have you considered the G2Z (or Z2)? While it lacks the pocket clip of the C2, it is slightly lighter (1 oz.) while being the same overall length. It uses the same LAs (P60/P61) so it would provide the same light output.

Just something to consider...

OzMan

McGizmo

Flashaholic
If you really want small and bright and don't mind doing a bit of modification, you can put a P61 in an E2e. Once the bezel is modified, it will accept the MN02 and MN03 lamps along with modified P60's and P61's. This gives you many incandescent options and you will be able to host the KL1 and soon KL4, 1 and 5 Watt LED bezels.

- Don

Size15's

Flashaholic
kalengkong is wrong because the C3 and M3 use different bezels and lamps therefore producing different beams.

The C3 comes with the P90 105Lu/60min Lamp Assembly and can also use the P91 200Lu/20min High Output Lamp Assembly. The Bezel diameter is 1.25".

The M3 comes with both the MN10 125Lu/60min Lamp Assembly and the MN11 225Lu/20min High Output Lamp Assembly. The Bezel diameter is 1.62".

What this means is that the M3 has more light and a larger diameter reflector in from which to form it's beam. The "power" of the M3 beam is greater giving the light more "impact" when directed into the eyes.

SureFires with higher Lumen output rating are not really brighter as Lumens is more a measure of the amount of light (the beam size). High Output Lamp Assemblies tend to be more intense (at least to start with) and use more light to increase the overwhelming ability of the SureFire.

Using an illumination tool as a defensive or offensive weapon takes training and practise because as with other tools light can be dangerous and be turned against you.

With regards to what you can carry, I tend to agree that three-cell SF123As models are too long and heavy for "EveryDayCarry" (EDC). The G2Z with P61 is one of my favourite options although I don't carry it because my requirements are not to use a flashlight as a weapon.

Drjones, Welcome to CPF!
If you have not seen or held a C3 for real before, I strongly suggest you try to find a walk-in store with one on display. SureFire Customer Service (800-828-8809) should be able to help you find your nearest Dealers.

Respectfully,

Al

Blikbok

Enlightened
DrJones:
I've got the E2e and C3. Let me try my best.

Q1: Is the C3 too big for EDC? I'm planning on carrying in my pocket or maybe IWB(?).

In my opinion, yes, for pants pocket except a cargo pocket. It's not huge, but I think the extra length will make it uncomfortable in pocket or IWB, if you want it concealed.

Q2: Is the C3 that much brighter than the C2 as to justify the extra size?

Yes. The difference in brightness is much greater than the difference in size or price.
According to SF's specs, the C2 is 5.1", 5 oz, the C3 is 6.4", 6.7 oz, and the E2e 4.5" and 4 oz.

Q3: I also want it to be small enough as to be easy to carry often. I'm thinking C2 perhaps? What do you think?

I'd recommend the E2e for EDC over the C2. The C2 is 1.3 inches shorter than the C3, but it's still the same diameter. I can forget I have the E2e on me.

Q4: Does anyone have any comparison pics of the C3 next to a maglite (2AA) or something?

http://www.redheadsystems.com/personalpages/blikbok/compare.html

Your orginal choice of the C3 is sound. But if carrying the light concealed all day is a priority, go for the E2e. I have an old 6Z, which is a little slimmer than the C2, and it rarely gets used anymore, since the C3 is brighter and the E2e smaller.

In the end though, you sound like you want the C3 and would be settling for the others. Get the one you want first, then get another later /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Drjones

Enlightened
All:

A sincere "Thank you" for your help and kindness.

You all seem like a VERY cool bunch!!!

As to my decision, well...I'm still not sure.

I really am enamored with the compact size and sleek looks of the E2e, but I think I'd like something brighter.

So I'm considering the C2.

BUT THEN, I thought "well, why not the C3?"

I know that it would be plenty bright, but wouldn't the C2 be more than sufficient? Mind you: I was quite stunned with my friends' 65 lumen bulb from his 6P. I would think that the 120 offered by the C2 would be pretty scaldingly bright too... And need I even mention the 200 lum the C3 can throw!!!

Though I must admit, I was surprised to see that the C3 isn't exactly monstrous compared to a 2AA maglight. You sure its that tough to carry often?

I dunno...

Any more pics and advice you could offer would be appreciated.

Thank you so much!!!
Drjones

ygbsm

Enlightened
I'd go with the G2Z with a P61. I have both the C2 and G2Z and much prefer the G2Z for carry. It's lighter, cheaper, has a Lock Out Tailcap and a Pyrex lens and it's cheaper.

The G2Z does not, however, have a pocketclip and with the C2, you could get an extension and P91 that would allow you to switch between a two and 3 cell when you wished (although if you got a HA C2 the extension wouldn't match in finish).

paulr

Flashaholic
Surefire makes an extension sleeve for the G2 that lengthens it for a rechargeable battery. The sleeve is maybe 1.5x the length of a 123 cell. There was a thread a while back about using one of those sleeves, and a cut-down dummy cell, to put three 123's into a G2 and then put in a P91 lamp. Result is a 200 lumen 3-cell light for under $60.

eelnoraa

Newly Enlightened
Hi DJones

I would say between C2 and C3, if you plan to carry the light with you, definitley go with C2. . While C3 is not really large, it is longer, feels a lot larger than C2. C2 would be much more comfortable to carry. Brightness wise, I think P60 is more than sufficient in most of the case, if not you can always go with P61.

I have never owned or seen a E2E in person, so cannot comment on it. But i am planning to get one.

I just got a C2HA from Dan at TW, like it very much. And must say thanks to Dan for the good deal, and good services.
It is my first HA finish light from SF, I would say that the Ht\ finish is totallly worth the extra money

Drjones

Enlightened
Yeah...probably gonna end up with the C2...to start with! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm sure I'll probably end up with an E2 and maybe a C3 at some point...

I think the C2 is "bright enough" for my intended purposes (stunning an attacker and giving me another option besides deadly force) while still being small enough to ensure I'll actually have it with me more often than not.

Also: Opinions on the LED conversion head? May be a moot point since I already have an Inova...

Thanks all for your input, but keep it coming!!!

Drjones

Enlightened
Sorry, forgot:

What finish do you recommend? I'm fine with either black or the Hard Anodized.

Which is more durable? HA, right?

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire HA is the most durable finish currently available. I strongly advise against going for Black anodised finish because the HA will be as good as new long after the Black finish is all scratched and worn.

It is unlikely that I will ever buy another SureFire that isn't HA.

Al