Give Me Good Reasons to Buy an Arc6

Dadof6

Enlightened
I have a few lights like most of you. I have several HDS', Novatacs, and some Ra Twistys with a couple of clickies on the way. I have looked at the new Arc6 and I wonder, what does it have that justifies payment of $300.00.

Can someone give me really good reasons as to why an Arc6 would be of additional use or features it has that would make me justify $300.00?

Rich

superflytnt

Enlightened
I have a few lights like most of you. I have several HDS', Novatacs, and some Ra Twistys with a couple of clickies on the way. I have looked at the new Arc6 and I wonder, what does it have that justifies payment of $300.00.

Can someone give me really good reasons as to why an Arc6 would be of additional use or features it has that would make me justify $300.00?

Rich

No, I really can't. I've read many of the reviews here on CPF and it pretty much sounds like a perfect light on paper but a lemon to use IMO.................

Save up and get a McGizmo light would be my advice.

Last edited:

shomie911

Enlightened
Considering you have Novatacs, HDS' and RA lights, I don't think an Arc6 would really be worth it to add to your collection.

Do you actually need another light? Most of your lights seem similar, maybe you should branch out into different categories.

shomie911

Enlightened
No, I really can't. I've read many of the reviews here on CPF and it pretty much sounds like a perfect light on paper but a lemon to use IMO.................

Save up and get a McGizmo light or just save some $$ and get a RA clicky would be my advice.

He already said he had a couple RA Clickies coming his way.

Kerch

Newly Enlightened
It depends entirely on the user. I couldn't justify spending that much on a flashlight myself, but it may be money well spent if you have a serious application or profession that depends on a quality flashlight.

As for the Arc6, why does it use an SSC P4? I thought a Cree Q5 would be more efficient.

shomie911

Enlightened
I say you should spend the money on 6 kids!! ("Dadof6")

Buy them a flashlight or two, get the bug going early. :thumbsup:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Rich

Honestly, it is no were near as nice as any of the lights you have on the way. Sounds like you have a serious case of flashaholism! Looking to buy more lights when you have several on the way already. I like it! :laughing:

Seriously though I would get a different kind of light than what you already have. How about getting a throw monster or maybe a huge output Mag Mod. Just a thought.

Russki

Enlightened
You got this right; actually R2 would be even more efficient.
Unfortunately, no dissent flashlight manufactures want to mess with Cree.
Go figure this out? :(

It depends entirely on the user. I couldn't justify spending that much on a flashlight myself, but it may be money well spent if you have a serious application or profession that depends on a quality flashlight.

As for the Arc6, why does it use an SSC P4? I thought a Cree Q5 would be more efficient.

tricker

Enlightened
the only thing i can see that could possibly justify it is the name brand.....(doesn't justify it in my mind, but thats the only possbility)

iocheretyanny

Enlightened
Sounds to me since you are posting this question - you will end up getting this light to compare to the Novatac's and HDS's :).
You won't rest or sleep well until you do!:devil:

I have it, and am now selling it to pay for new novatac I have on the way and a clicky..

Haz

Enlightened
Sounds to me since you are posting this question - you will end up getting this light to compare to the Novatac's and HDS's :).
You won't rest or sleep well until you do!:devil:

I have it, and am now selling it to pay for new novatac I have on the way and a clicky..

what made you decide to sell the Arc6?, did it not meet your expectations?

DArklite

Enlightened
You got this right; actually R2 would be even more efficient.
Unfortunately, no dissent flashlight manufactures want to mess with Cree.
Go figure this out? :(

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but don't the HDS, Novatac, Ra Lights and LiteFlux use SSC P4 emitters? Efficiency isn't everything; some people prefer the SSC's output and beam color/quality, and users of those lights seem to be happy with the beam quality in the threads I've read.
That being said, I really don't see a reason to go after the Arc 6 unless you're a collector.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but don't the HDS, Novatac, Ra Lights and LiteFlux use SSC P4 emitters? Efficiency isn't everything; some people prefer the SSC's output and beam color/quality, and users of those lights seem to be happy with the beam quality in the threads I've read.
That being said, I really don't see a reason to go after the Arc 6 unless you're a collector.

Partly wrong - HDS never had SSC P4's unless someone modded it. Some Ra use the P4 but some use Osram I believe. Some Liteflux use SSC P4 but some use Cree. And I can't think of any reason to buy an Arc 6 with an SSC P4. None that makes any sense whatsoever at that price point IMO. But of course the eccentricity of our collecting lights doesn't always make much sense either.

Haz

Enlightened
In the pre-production models, the runtime/output didn't fair too well against the other lights. Secondly it seems to drop off it's set mode too quickly due to built up of heat. I heard responses previously it was partly due to the K2 led.

I'm still waiting for a comparison to the production version, since it uses a different led. Has anyone done any runtime graph on this?.

Since the launch of the production of the Arc6, it's be very quite. Not much discussion on this light. Alot of opinion has been based on the pre-production model afaik, that's not to say it's not far off the mark from the production model, but i wonder if the production model is much better?

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
much discussion on this light. Alot of opinion has been based on the pre-production model afaik, that's not to say it's not far off the mark from the production model, but i wonder if the production model is much better?

Almost no discussion, which is shocking given the popularity of the Arc AAA. I can only imagine the 3-handle scares a lot of people away. And at that price, still costs $13.95 to ship it. I may buy one someday (waited so long for it) but can't seem to pull the trigger

paulr

Flashaholic
There are not many practical or functional reasons to buy any of these lights (Arc6, HDS, Ra, Novatac, McLux, etc). They are connoisseurs' lights and the reason to buy them is satisfaction as an aficionado and/or to fulfill a desire. Your question is like asking for good reasons to buy 18 year old single malt Scotch. If you try to justify it in terms of nutritional value, you're fooling yourself. It is all about satisfying your discriminating tastes.

My reason for buying expensive flashlights goes something like this. We all put up with endless BS and compromises every day of our lives. But for a mere few hundred $$ of one's recreational funds, less than a typical computer upgrade or 1-weekend beach vacation would cost, you can get something that is the absolute best there is in its category, which you can carry with you and enjoy every day of the week without it getting you stuck in traffic. I realize $300 for a flashlight sounds like an awful lot to a non-flashaholic, but in the scheme of things (look at what computer gamers spend on overclocked CPU's and graphics cards), it's not that expensive a hobby, and the stuff does tend to hold its value. And, by buying from independent and semi-independent flashlight builders, I'm helping advance the state of the art of a really cool medium. So I feel ok about the expenditures.

One of my long term flashaholic desires is a Surefire M6, an obsolete and impractical light in many ways. But, I expect I will buy one anyway someday, just because I've always wanted one. If you find yourself desiring an Arc6, or an M6, or any other light, then as the saying goes, the only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it. If you don't find yourself desiring it, then there are probably more satisfying things you can do with the same amount of cash, so asking other people to make a sales pitch for you is counterproductive.

spgrk

Newly Enlightened

The SSC P4 U2 bin has an output of 100 to 118 lumens at 350mA, while the Cree Q5 bin has an efficiency of 107 to 114 lumens at 350mA. An LED from the middle of the bin range would have an output of 109 lumens for the SSC P4 and 110.5 lumens for the Cree. You would be unable to distinguish any difference in output, but you would certainly notice the better beam pattern from the SSC P4.