What are your "Claims to Fame"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
My "claims to fame" are:

1: I was on the TV program "Candid Camera" on 05-09-90.
Here is the pewter coin I was given at the time:
ccamera2.jpg
ccamera1.jpg

2: One of my pet rats was on the TV program "AFV" im November 1998.

3: I was featured on Fox Sports Northwest during the summer of 1999 or 2000 at Safeco Field in Seattle; they were broadcasting a Mariners game, and apparently had their cameras trained on me for approximately 4 minutes in the 7th inning, using the telestrator on my head and wondering out loud how come people wore mohawk haircuts the way they do instead of side-to-side.

4: Around the turn of the century, I created a new cocktail called a "007" - this drink consisted of 33.4% Seven Up, 33.3% orange juice, ands 33.3% vodka. The drink is served in a large glass (16oz. capacity) on the rocks. Only one bar that I'm aware of ever served it - probably because the bartenders at this bar are the only other people (besides me) that were aware of its existence (because I told them what it was & how to make it).

5: My LED/flashlight/laser reviews website is the largest on the face of the planet.
Viewable content exceeds 1.00125 gigabytes.
LED & flashlight manufacturers regularly contact me solely because they found my website while performing a simple search on the internet.

6: My website was featured on...er...*AS* the front cover of a magazine in 2001.
To wit:
eepn.jpg
eenews3.jpg

7: I hold two world records on coin-op arcade video games:
Looping (mfd. by Venture Line) - 2,458,770
Star Trek (mfd. by Sega) - 31,054,500

eg2.jpg

(The July 1983 copy of Electronic Games magazine)

looping9.jpg

(Page A2 from the Juneau Empire newspaper; month/day no longer known)

To the best of my knowledge, these records (obtained in the early-1980s) still stand to this day.
================================================================

Does anybody else here have a "claim to fame" - regardless of how small it might be?

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Very cool, Craig! I wonder if that episode of Candid Camera is on Youtube somewhere. I'd like to see it. :)

BTW Craig, I get EEPN mag and I saved that copy with the mention of your site. That's how I discovered it if I recall.

I've been on local tv many times, even though I've got a great face for radio. :laughing:

The only famous people I've met in person are Garrison Keillor (one of my favorites), Richard Dawson, Ernie Anderson (deceased, he was once The Voice of ABC, best remembered for the way he said "The Looooooove Boat") and various local newscasters and sportscasters.

Last edited:

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Back a long time ago I thought about how to force an ARC LS into "moon mode". Since the ARC entered low power mode when the battery voltage dropped, the obvious solution was to add a resistor to the path that the volatge traveled.

The solution was the first viable two stage tailcap, and I shared the concept and plans for making them in dec 2003. It was discussed in this thread:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/39298

This simple concept is the one that Don (McGizmo) based his two stage tailcap on. He showed me his prototype at a CPF get-together and we discussed how he had implemented it. The man is a genius when it comes to manufacturing.

The same concept was used in the Fire-Fly and several other lights.

So my claim to fame? The first two stage tailcap mod. I sold around 150 of the mods for about 10 dollars each including shipping and tax. It has since been eclipsed by the solid state PWM converters, but it was a great thing at the time.

Daniel

shakeylegs

Enlightened
Fun topic!
I had a close encounter of the wierd kind when Jeff Goldblum came in my store with his "date" - post Gina Davis IIRC. He seemed so agressively uneasy that if he had crawled out of his skin I wouldn't have been shocked.

Polar opposite, Barbara Streisand, James Brolin, and Sammie the dog spent an hour in the store. She was one of the most unassuming, down to earth people I've ever met in my life. And Brolin is just a regular guy. Exactly what you see on screen. I never acknowledged her identity as I thought she'd appreciate some peace. As she was paying and preparing to leave, she told me she had 12 thousand rose plants in and around her home. And that "1000 of them are named after me:poke:" - pregnant pause as I smile quietly - "Barbara Streisand" she finished.

As a kid of about 8, I attended, with my parents, the Bing Crosby Clambake (now the AT&T golf tourney at Pebble Beach). I brought my autograph book along and got Bob Hope's autograph, then Phil Harris (anyone even remember him - talk about a radio face), and then I approached Dean Martin who had just tee'd off. He put his arm around me, walked me down the middle of the fairway, signed my book and chatted me up, as much as anyone could an 8 year old. Of course, all of those autographs were done at my mother's behest. The autograph I really wanted was Robert Sterling (TV show Topper - seen here wearing a box http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZenHkJXA5Q). He was basically a nobody but as the star of this 8 year old's favorite show, I approached eagerly. And was promptly stiffed - "they don't let us do that kid". Which is why I'm a big Dino fan until today.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Nothin' for me . . . .

Although i DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

:whistle:

Oh, my Mother, age 84 next month, went to a production
of "Arsenic and Old Lace" when she had graduated from High School.

This was at the very classy Theatre in Downtown Minneapolis. Circa 1942.

After the show, she met the star actor,
spoke to him, and got his autograph.

None other than Boris Karloff !

Sadly, because of an unfortunate mix-up,
this autograph (and other valuable mementos)
got thrown away when i was a baby.

:mecry:

But, as a big Boris Karloff fan,
this event still means a LOT to me.

:twothumbs

PS: Great thread, Craig !
_

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i was the first man on the moon but they wont ever admit it

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
My claims to (internet) fame would be the web sites I used to run regarding Borland's (now CodeGear's) Delphi programming language.

The Delphi 3/4/5 Information Page and The Delphi Skunkworks sites.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was on the TV game show program Starcade as a child (1982?). I didn't win the full size Joust game, but I got some other junk. Some friends in school saw it. Somehow my dad lined it up (I think he knew the producer).

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am the father of the most beautiful daughter that the world has ever known.

No. Really. Don't dare me. I have proof.

I double dawg dare ya...........OK I will let her be #1 by a nose over mine but only because its you.:p

I made the front page of the one and only local bird cage liner for being target practice at work. :whistle:

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I was on the TV game show program Starcade as a child (1982?). I didn't win the full size Joust game, but I got some other junk. Some friends in school saw it. Somehow my dad lined it up (I think he knew the producer).

Hey I remember that show!! My friends and I used to watch that all the time... and then go play atari 2600.

as for the discussion, I have no fame.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been on TV a bunch of times

--Early 80's at Talbot's Toys in San Mateo, Ca when there was a big scare about the toxicity of Cabbage Patch kids. I was in the background acting silly.

--Was on a Discovery Channel special about Police

--A bunch of local news casts, usually at a crime scene of some sort.

Other weird stuff:

--In 5th Grade I was put into an independent learning program that was supposed to be some sort of experiment with "gifted" kids. I went through every math book through the 12th Grade in one school year, then went to 6th grade and the whole thing was forgotten about, and I moved, etc. I've always wondered "what if?" on this because I'm not a big fan of going to school, and should have explored mathematics more.

--I have a "photographic" memory that drives people nuts (eidetic or simply learned repetition...who knows)

--I was an R/C car racing champion

I'd guess that everyone has some sort of Claim To Fame that sets them apart from the rest; we're all unique in some way...

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I once led about 25 people down the Half Dome Trail in Yosemite in the dark with 2 other friends with flashlights!

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
I appeared many times in local TV in my early 20s, I was a cellphone hacker (phreaker) and participated in a local event with some well known hackers from around the world (IE Emanuel Goldstein - 2600 Magazine) The event catched media attention. Here is a review of it via google translation.
These were the days of analog cellphones, it was very easy to listen to other peoples cellphones :D

Even before that I co-won a local magazine programming contest, the objetive was to write a basic program with the less amount of instructions to print the 1st 20000 prime numbers for the TI-99 computer :)

Pablo

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I created the first Lot Control purchasing, manufacturing, shipping and tracking program which could use an infinite number of component parts including raw material, manufactured, and purchased components interchangeable into infinite numbers of finished goods for automotive suppliers.

Of course since I worked for a company at the time, it was entirely their property, which they enventually gave to a software company in exchange for company wide pc support. Of course this was after I supervised the conversion of the software from DEC/VAX VMS to Windows based software. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts