RCR's in SF E2DL & E1B

Bruce B

Enlightened
Does anyone know if you can use RCR123's in the SF E2DL Defender. Also can they be used in the SF E1B Backup. If so what RCR123's are recommended and what charger is recommended?

Thanks,

-Bruce

Last edited:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I understand it at Surefire they do not recommend the use of rechargeable batteries and they go to a certain length to prevent it. In many types the hole in the body is too narrow for the RCR's (in my case the L1 and the U2) while in others there's room enough. I also learn around here that at 4.2V an SF flashlight may flicker instead of putting out a normal beam.

My personal experience is that a 2008 E1L operates very well with a 3.0V RCR but of course the capacity is 50% of a primary so I have to charge it quite often. Also the E1B accommodates an RCR while as I said my L1 CREE is too narrow. Both the E1L and the E1B work well at the initial voltage of 3.6V but I would not like to try them at 4.2V.

dano101

Enlightened
I dont own an E1B currently, but my E2DL works flawlessly with 3.7V RCR123 batteries. The only issue being a low mode thats not as low as with 3.0V primaries... but not too much a difference that its the least bit bothersome. The RCR's as well in the E2DL fit perfectly.

I recommend using AW RCR123's (order from AW directly in the marketplace, or lighthound.com or 4sevens.com) as well, pick up a WF138 or WF139 charger (get the WF139 if you plan to run other batteries such as the 17500's, 18650's etc, but with the WF-139 youll need some spacers for the RCR's).

My E2DL with RCR's is probably my best combo so far in a stock surefire light and put out an amazing amount of light.

Dano

Rossymeister

Enlightened
RCR`s in the E1B doesnt work very well. Upon turning on the light, it will start slow strobing.

However,AW 3.2 Volt LiFePO4 Works Flawlessly.

Bruce B

Enlightened
I dont own an E1B currently, but my E2DL works flawlessly with 3.7V RCR123 batteries. The only issue being a low mode thats not as low as with 3.0V primaries... but not too much a difference that its the least bit bothersome. The RCR's as well in the E2DL fit perfectly.

I recommend using AW RCR123's (order from AW directly in the marketplace, or lighthound.com or 4sevens.com) as well, pick up a WF138 or WF139 charger (get the WF139 if you plan to run other batteries such as the 17500's, 18650's etc, but with the WF-139 youll need some spacers for the RCR's).

My E2DL with RCR's is probably my best combo so far in a stock surefire light and put out an amazing amount of light.

Dano

Dano,

Explain what you mean by this. "The only issue being a low mode thats not as low as with 3.0V primaries..." I'm confused.

-Bruce

Ray1968

Newly Enlightened
I also use AW RCR123's in my E2DL without issue.

Explain what you mean by this. "The only issue being a low mode thats not as low as with 3.0V primaries..."

He simply means the low setting will be a tad bit brighter using the RCR123's as opposed to using primaries.

Rossymeister

Enlightened
Unfortunatley I believe the Lifepo RCRs are unprottected so if you drain them they are ruined ?

If they are discharged Below 2 Volts, there is a chance of damage. I have been using them for 3-4 months with no problems. I use them in an A2, E1B, and a 120P.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using RCR123's in my E2DL with no problems so far. As already mentioned the low is a little brighter than using 3.0V batteries but I like the brighter low mode.

I should also mention that the E2DL lasts a long time on two primary batteries. If you just occasionally use your light for short durations, primaries are really OK. I couldn't believe how long the original SureFire batteries lasted in mine.

If I remember correctly my E1B just flickered on an RCR123.

Bill

dano101

Enlightened
3.0V RCR's should work the same (as long as there protected). To be honest, i still havent found a 3.0V RCR that compares with AW's 3.7V RCR's. Theres never a gamble using and AW product (IMHO).

Daniel

Niconical

Enlightened
I have 18 LifePO4 cells, all from AW.

I have 2 of them set aside to treat badly, just to see.

My latest torture was dragging one down to 0.67v last night.

It soon bounced back, charged, then powered a light (Romisen RC-N3) fully for testing, just like they always do, same runtime, no apparent difference.

I'm not suggesting anyone intentionally abuse batteries, but if you're going to, LifePO4 are the ones to do it with. They seem even more robust than expected. These 2 that I have been treating badly, I've been so mean to them that I certainly wouldn't put them in a 2 cell light along with a non-abused cell, just in case, but for single use lights they appear to be just as good as when I got them.

You do have to consider the long term effects, but occasional dipping below 2v, or even lower, seems unlikely to have a negative effect on a LifePO4.

For the record, I also have an E1B on the way (my first small Surefire), so I know what will be running it :)

litetube

Enlightened
Thanx for the info Niconical. It makes me edge closer to getting a cpl. Lifepo4s . Is there any indication at all as to when to pull these Lifepo4s out of the light before damage occurs? particularly in a single cell application as in the SFE1b? Does the E2Dl give any warning or do you just guesstimate?

Niconical

Enlightened
If you leave a single cell light on high like an EX10, P2D etc, or just 'on' of course for single level lights, Romisen RC-N3 being my torture tester, you will be in no doubt at all when the light gets to 2v, it will be noticeably less bright.

If you're using a light on low, again, like the EX10/P2D for example, the voltage could be gradually dragged down to very low levels without you even noticing. The solution there is to flick it up to high, or at least higher. If it goes, the voltage is still fine, if it doesn't, time for a battery change!

The amount of abuse that my 2 tester LiFePO4 have been subjected to over the last few months does not seem to have had any effect at-the-moment on their capacity. Of course, I assume I have shaved something off their overall life cycle, but right now, they're still fine. The point of that is to show for an average EDC, if once per couple of weeks you accidently have it down to 1.7v or whatever, then get it in the charger, you'll be fine. They are forgiving, unlike their other lithium cousins.

Plus of course they have the slightly lower voltage, so you don't lose all the low levels in lights like the P2D, and they'll work in the E1B.

Rossymeister

Enlightened
So then what RCR's would be recommended for use in SF E2DL & SF E1B...
-Bruce
--- |
--- |
--- |
--- V

Dano

gunga

Flashaholic
For the E2DL, use AW protected RCR123 (750mAh, 3.7 V)

for the E1B, use AW LiFEPO4 RCR12 (3.2V approx, 500 mAh) (the "safe" chemistry).

Or just use the LiFEP04 for both. The WF-138 ultrafire charger charges both (has a switch on the side).

The E1B may flicker on low mode for a bit till voltage drops. YOu can run on high for a few minutes to drop it to a more workable range. That is what I use.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I very much like the idea of how safe the lifep04 chemistry is and the fact that I could use them in ALL my Surefires, but, possibly not sure if the drop in power is worth it, so...

Can anyone comment on the specific difference in runtimes for a lifep04 vs. the rcr123 in a SF running an M60 or M60L just so I can get an idea of the difference?

Thanks!

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome thread. I am "this close" to picking up an E2DL and I wanted to know if I could run rcrs' in it. What about 17670's?