What last longer - 4 D or a 6 volt lantern?

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
A co-worker and I had a question. Which would last longer, a flashlight with a 4 D setup, or one with the 6 volt lantern battery? I thought I heard that the 4 D size would last longer. Am I correct on this?

Thanks!

Kirk

Enlightened
Orion,
I checked the Energizer website http://data.energizer.com/ , and the D alkaline has an 18,000 mAh capacity and the 6 Volt alkaline lantern battery has a 26,000 mAh capacity. The regular old carbon-zinc lantern battery has either 11,000 or 12,000 mAh depending on regular or "heavy-duty". Hope this helps.
Kirk

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys. It did, in fact, help!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ferrous

Newly Enlightened
Careful there- I've seen some lantern batteries that had four D cells inside. I've also seen an adapter for the same thng. The runtime may be superior for a quality lantern battery, but the gas station two miles from the trail head may not have them.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been thinking of an adapter for those lanterns for a few years now. I didn't know they were manufactured.

I thought of an aluminum box, that would take 8 D cells, series-parallel. 6V at double the capacity would work nicely. It would be, roughly, half the height of a lantern battery.

I just don't have the metalsmithing skills or tools to pull it off. I still have two of these lanterns that I'm quite fond of, but I don't use them because the batteries are hard to find. The last two I've seen were in a small hardware store ($20, Ouch!), and in Radio Shack ($13). Last one I bought before then was about $6.

I resurrected my idea after reading about the EverLED. I thought an EverLED would really shine in my old Ray-O-Vac lantern . I need to find someone who can make me a couple of these boxes for me.

Is there a link to these manufactured D-to-lantern adaptors?

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hard to find? Wal-Mart and K-Mart sell them, cheap.

The center terminal is (-) though, so most lanterns pass that on to the bulb tip, which means it would be reverse polarity for, and blow, an EverLED.

Tec40 bulbs work nicely in my Garrity lanterns, and the 500mA draw gets more efficient use out of the Heavy Duty type batts than the std Krypton 750 or the Mag-Num Xe 950. You sure won't get the full amp-hours out of any of those with regular bulbs, though.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, those half sized ones I can find anywhere. I didn't catch that "4 D cells in a lantern battery". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

The large 6V is what I was referring to. The ones that are double the size of the spring terminal batteries. They have the screw terminals, twice as wide, same height.
It's just not practical to use them anymore, I'm afraid. I can buy them online, but them the shipping for that heavy battery drives the price up. And I can buy them in town, but they're pricey.
An adaptor for 8 D cells fits the bill well. With the D cells in series-parallel, it would be 36 Ah at 6V, or 18 Ah at 4.8V w/NiMH. If the battery box were full size, it would be 72 Ah at 6V, 36 Ah at 4.8V w/NiMH.

Hemingray

Enlightened
The larger 6V battery could be replaced with a rechargeable 6V SLA battery, just big enough to fit inside the original battery box. If the battery just hangs from the screw terminas, then some engineering will be needed

One thing to be cautious of when buying the 6V "spring terminal" batteries, is that they aren't really old, and depleted from just sitting on the shelf collecting dust (I've experienced that displeasure, just once).

The local hardware store has the 4D adapters for this size.

/ed B in NH