JetBeam Military or Olight M-20?

Frankiarmz

Enlightened
I'm thinking about my next light, possibly a Christmas present to myself and while I was considering the Olight M-20 along comes the JetBeam Military. The money is about the same, slightly greater lumens goes to Olight, but the JetBeam has some fine things going for it according to the specs. I really like the range of voltage and if it will run on any battery that will fit the tube up to 15volts, future batteries with either higher MAH or voltage should work just fine. I also like the infinite brightness. What do you experts think?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I'm a bit biased since I'm a JetBeam guy, but once you get used to their IBS interface, everything else pales in comparison. The ability to have your flashlight's modes be anything you want, and to be able to quickly/easily set it on-the-fly, makes the old multi-mode interface obsolete. With the Olight, you just have the three output levels to select from, and you have to go through the strobe mode to cycle through them; Whereas with the Jet, you have the full range between 2-225 lumens that you can assign to any mode, plus the strobes/locators (there are a whole range to choose from, strobe from 1-15hz, hi/low SOS, ultra low locator, etc) are *only there if you need them*, and not in the middle of your modes to stumble across inadvertently. Plus the Jet is built stronger - a sapphire crystal lens and squared threads, definitely built for the long haul. Highly recommended :thumbsup:

Patriot

Flashaholic
I think the JetBeam seems a little bit more refined or finished but the Olight always delivers regarding performance. Jetbeam regulation and output can be questionable and I'd have to see a review and comparisons before I purchased it. All of the Olights have lived up to their specs and I can't remember hearing from anyone who felt that they didn't get what they paid for. That said, the last JetBeam that I purchased was up to snuff but I read several threads worth of info about it before hand.

Frankiarmz

Enlightened
I have two Olight T-20's, one of them is the Special Edition. I have no complaints at all. I cannot tell them apart by output which is fine for both. I am curious to read reivews of the JetBeam Military and the features sound very convincing. I'm not in a hurry.

polarbear84

Newly Enlightened
I have the M20...its my first flashlight and I love it. But one thing bad about it tho is the finish is coming off around the edges on the tail cap and tactical ring. Like 3-4 tiny silver spots/dots are showing up. Only had it for about 3 weeks. I have been VERY careful with it and I haven't drop it or anything. So I can only imagine what will happen to it if I drop it.

Im also interested in the JetBeam Military...but it looks like it don't have momentary on or comes with a holster.... which are important to me.

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
I have the M20...its my first flashlight and I love it. But one thing bad about it tho is the finish is coming off around the edges on the tail cap and tactical ring. Like 3-4 tiny silver spots/dots are showing up. Only had it for about 3 weeks. I have been VERY careful with it and I haven't drop it or anything. So I can only imagine what will happen to it if I drop it.

Im also interested in the JetBeam Military...but it looks like it don't have momentary on or comes with a holster.... which are important to me.

The Jetbeam Military does come with a momentary on. They redesigned the new circuit to accommodate those wanting a forward clickie!

Regards,
Flavio
BugoutGearUSA.com

Frankiarmz

Enlightened
The Jetbeam Military does come with a momentary on. They redesigned the new circuit to accommodate those wanting a forward clickie!

Regards,
Flavio
BugoutGearUSA.com

Thanks for the additional information Flavio. Looks like it will come down to cost. I wonder if there will be any discounts, or price breaks in the near future.:D I just had to try.:D

Frankiarmz

Enlightened

Welcome to the Forum PolarBear. Sorry to hear about the finish problem. Have you reported this to the seller? My Olight T-20 have held up very well although I am really careful with them. Make a call, there might be a manufacture defect. Good luck.

Citivolus

Enlightened

Mine arrived today. The switch is a tactical forward clickie, with momentary.

Measurements (spot), using OP reflector:

1x18650:
Low: 3.5 lux @1m
High: 6.5K lux @1m

2x16340:
Low: 18 lux @1m
High: 6.6K lux @1m

I really like that low. That is 0.05% on 1x18650, and about 0.27% on 2x16340. With an 18650, you can look directly at the LED without getting a hot spot.

On high the beam is comparable in terms out output with a TK10, however the TK10's heavier OP puts more light into the spill, with the JET-III M having a slight edge in throw (~20%).

Regards,
Eric

Frankiarmz

Enlightened
Mine arrived today. The switch is a tactical forward clickie, with momentary.

Measurements (spot), using OP reflector:

1x18650:
Low: 3.5 lux @1m
High: 6.5K lux @1m

2x16340:
Low: 18 lux @1m
High: 6.6K lux @1m

I really like that low. That is 0.05% on 1x18650, and about 0.27% on 2x16340. With an 18650, you can look directly at the LED without getting a hot spot.

On high the beam is comparable in terms out output with a TK10, however the TK10's heavier OP puts more light into the spill, with the JET-III M having a slight edge in throw (~20%).

Regards,
Eric

Eric, thanks for the information but I have to ask why the 16340's instead of RCR123A's? Isn't the voltage just about the same and MAH's as well? Judt trying to understand the benefits. Thank you.

polarbear84

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I don't think mine is defective....since I read someone else who has experienced the same problem as me.

if i had my time again (i would do it all againeyain - there's a song in there:grin2:) i would buy the olive one as i have been using mine for work and because it has sharp corners on the ring grip and on the end of the tail cap the HAIII is chipping off :sick: also the clip is only painted and that is scratching off a bit to - i do like the black color but the olive/green/sliver color would hide the chips.
this is my only gripe on the light - should have ordered a smo reflector to see how far she throws because even with the op it does throw further than i would have expected (does make the DBS cough a little)
buy the way the M20 is about half the size in real life than it looks in the pictures.

Where did you order your JetBeam from? I did not see momentary on as one of the feature, so I assumed it didn't have it. Now Im seriously considering getting one....I'll wait for some positive reviews first tho, just to justify my purchase =)

liquidsix

Enlightened
I'm a bit biased since I'm a JetBeam guy, but once you get used to their IBS interface, everything else pales in comparison. The ability to have your flashlight's modes be anything you want, and to be able to quickly/easily set it on-the-fly, makes the old multi-mode interface obsolete. With the Olight, you just have the three output levels to select from, and you have to go through the strobe mode to cycle through them; Whereas with the Jet, you have the full range between 2-225 lumens that you can assign to any mode, plus the strobes/locators (there are a whole range to choose from, strobe from 1-15hz, hi/low SOS, ultra low locator, etc) are *only there if you need them*, and not in the middle of your modes to stumble across inadvertently. Plus the Jet is built stronger - a sapphire crystal lens and squared threads, definitely built for the long haul. Highly recommended :thumbsup:

I might be the rare case on this one but I think I prefer the fixed output levels vs. I.B.S's/nitecore's 'set it to whatever you want'. The main reason is that you know what kind of runtime to expect from your light. You can guess at the runtime, but I think it's some kind of a logarithmic function on the ramping time the light goes through taking into account max and min output runtimes. I've found with nightcore, somewhere in between the first and 2nd second of ramping cuts my runtime from the supposed 40 or 50 hours to at most 4 or 5 hours (before the circuit starts squeeling, and max looks like less than %50.)

Of course, all that being said, I like the two stage switching on the JetBeam Military. I'm going to wait to see the efficiency reviews for this light (I think JetBeam hasn't been doing well in that department lately).

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I have to ask why the 16340's instead of RCR123A's? Isn't the voltage just about the same and MAH's as well?
16340 is the same thing as RCR123a, just a different name. Most rechargeable lithium cells are named using a number system where the first two digits are the diameter [in mm, 16 in this case] the next two are the length [34 in this case], and the last digit is the code for the shape [0 in this case is for cylindrical, which is the most common]. Since the cr123a size is so common, the 16340 cell is commonly referred to as an RCR123a [rechargeable CR123a].
The other common lithium rechargeable cell is an 18650. Slightly larger diameter [18], and about twice the length [65].

Citivolus

Enlightened
I should add that I measured the current drain of the Jet-III M from an 18650 battery on high, and it was 770mA at 3.96V vs 1.50A in the Jet-III Pro. On the lowest setting, it was 3.0mA. Anyone who wants to confirm run time numbers on low had better have a month to spare :thumbsup:

Regards,
Eric

Frankiarmz

Enlightened
16340 is the same thing as RCR123a, just a different name. Most rechargeable lithium cells are named using a number system where the first two digits are the diameter [in mm, 16 in this case] the next two are the length [34 in this case], and the last digit is the code for the shape [0 in this case is for cylindrical, which is the most common]. Since the cr123a size is so common, the 16340 cell is commonly referred to as an RCR123a [rechargeable CR123a].
The other common lithium rechargeable cell is an 18650. Slightly larger diameter [18], and about twice the length [65].

That was a great explanation and lesson for me, thank you very much.

cunglee

Newly Enlightened
I should add that I measured the current drain of the Jet-III M from an 18650 battery on high, and it was 770mA at 3.96V vs 1.50A in the Jet-III Pro. On the lowest setting, it was 3.0mA. Anyone who wants to confirm run time numbers on low had better have a month to spare :thumbsup:

Regards,
Eric

Thanks for the first review of jetbeam Military light.
I have some questions.
I'm very curious to how long 18650 bat last on max and how the brightness goes down as times go by.

dp0350

Newly Enlightened
Does the jetbeam come with any kind of sleeve for a123? If it's made for the bigger 1 cells the 123's will rattle around. If the max curve with the single cells is not regulated at all like the m20 then I will most likely run 123's. I was also going to get the m20 but I think this light has it beat in terms of quality an ui. But I will have to see some runtime graphs.