battery or light

sweetlight

Newly Enlightened
Hey all, I have a Coast LED lenser AA light. After some use, sometimes it will turn on and sometimes it won't. It seems to work ok if I change the battery. Is turning on sometimes the proper way for this light to warn of a weak battery?

Sampolainen

Newly Enlightened
Can't really be certain since you don't mention the model but I don't think any LLenser light has electronics like that. More likely the switch has failed on you. Mine did and it turns on only when it wants to

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey all, I have a Coast LED lenser AA light. After some use, sometimes it will turn on and sometimes it won't. It seems to work ok if I change the battery. Is turning on sometimes the proper way for this light to warn of a weak battery?

This applies to quite a few torches, they will run continuously quite happily once on with depleted battery, but require higher voltage / current to turn on the electronics.

If the battery is allowed to rest, it sometimes regains enough oomph to work again in any given torch.

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
I too have a 1AA coast light, it has 3 LEDs on the front of it, and it only works well on freshly charged or new alkaline cells. Once the cell has low initial voltage, it refuses to turn on.

For the price of the little thing, I'm disappointed in pretty much every aspect of it, output, runtime, battery picky-ness, etc etc, bought it a few years ago and wish I hadn't bothered.

sweetlight

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input. I figured it was related to the weak batt but just wanted to hear it in print.

I probably have the same three LED light as you Md.

Aside from the battery issue to me the light performs fairly well. Pretty bright, I'd say about 25 lumens and about a three hour output on one AA.