Upgrading the Fenix E20

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking at the head of my fenix e20 and, if you spin the head off completely, you'll see that the rubber ring around the led is quite easy to remove. Has anyone tried upgrading the led to like a q5?
EDIT: Here is a pic of what I am talking about:

Last edited:

wagsbags

Newly Enlightened
Could this be upgraded to an MC-E? Sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm a bit new to modding LEDs.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Could this be upgraded to an MC-E? Sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm a bit new to modding LEDs.

Yes, you'll get a bit more output and a much wider beam. If you want to wide beam and higher output, I'd just get a cheap Q5 or R2 bin and install a diffuser.

Just beacause the MC-E is rated up to 2.8 apms doesn't meand it will only work around those currents. It can be driven pretty low too.

harddrive

Enlightened
Now the XPG is here would the E20 be a good candidate for one? Q2 to R5 is surely worth it but I wonder how the focusing would go with a XPG?

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now the XPG is here would the E20 be a good candidate for one? Q2 to R5 is surely worth it but I wonder how the focusing would go with a XPG?
A year down the line and with more options it might not be such a bad idea to mod it now, not that there is much wrong with it the way it is.

Not sure how an XP-G would look in the E20s reflector (perhaps others know) but I would imagine an XP-E would be fine. You would be likely to lose a bit of throw if you went with the XP-G.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
An XP-G would probably give you a smoother beam and probably give a bit more output, but with a bit less throw. The lack of a metal ring removes the 'cree ring' in the beamshot, and the higher efficiency gives a bit more output, but the larger die size gives a wider hotspot.

lightnin'hopkins

Newly Enlightened
Did anyone actually mod this light yet?

Would it make any sense to put an XRE R2 in it?
Or even an XPG R5?
Are there any practical gains?

I've had my E20 almost a year & it was my first "expensive" LED light.
And it's easily my most used. Great runtime/output balance I think.
And the focusing I find really useful & unique. In short, it's my favourite light.
Though I have the PD20 R2, L1T, E01 & LD20 Q5 they are mostly backups.

I thought it deserves an upgrade, if it makes any sense that is.