180 Lumen Fenix L1D Q5

Gator762

Enlightened
With LiFePO4 cells. Nice little combo. I only get about 25-30 minutes of run time on turbo, but for my EDC needs it easily lasts a week. I've just thrown the battery on the charger after a week of use. Even with only 1 cell that is only 52 cycles in a year. The downside is no low voltage detection since I got cheap unprotected cells. But in heavy use it's easy to see the output drop from turbo, at that point you know the battery needs charging. So far I haven't had a problem with the cells taking a charge afterward. Other thing is the low isn't as low. I noticed Chevrofreak's run time graphs, the L2D's low is also a bit high on two Lithium AA's. That would be 3.4 volts starting, these measure 3.3.

A nice, flexible setup, especially if you also have the L2D body. What drove me to do it is I wanted more output from an EDC light, but I wanted AA compatibility. This seems to be a good compromise.

I picked up 6 LiFePO4 cells and a WF-138 charger for only $24. I took 2 AA battery holders and soldered the leads to tacks on dowels for adapters. Seems to be a very worthwhile upgrade for the L1D. :D

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
While I dig what you are saying, and appreciate the higher output...

I find myself quite pleased with a P2D Q5 on a primary. Or alternately as a L1D with a NimH.

I like to use rechargeables in stuff like my GPS or Hotwire lights. With primary 123 (which I have lots of) all I have to do is carry a new one in the door pocket of my truck.

More power to you!

streetmaster

Enlightened
I enjoy the 180 lumens from my P2D. And it's smaller. Wouldn't it have been easier to snag a P2D body and tailcap from Fenix-Store for like 23 bucks and get some very affordable RCR123's and a charger? I have all 3 bodies(L1D, L2D, P2D) for my L2D Q5 head. That's what I call versatility. Well worth every penny. I do like your charger customization. :)

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
200 views and nobody likes? Tough crowd. :ironic:

It'd be cooler if the Fenix were set up to accept the cells - any of the JetBeam I series lights will blast out to 225 lumens on a 14500, plus it retains all mode/output variability, so not only does low output remain low, but it actually outlasts a primary AA.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice setup - L2D performance in an easy to carry L1D size. Even thinner than a P2D. That's a nice charger adaptor.

Where did you get your AA sized LiFePO4 cells?

Last edited:

Gator762

Enlightened
Nice setup - L2D performance in an easy to carry L1D size. Even thinner than a P2D. That's a nice charger adaptor.

Where did you get your AA sized LiFePO4 cells?

I got the charger and cells from Kai Domain. Took a while to ship but worth the wait. The charger adapters I picked up from Radio Shack, they were only $1 each. The dowel and tacks I had. :)

Gator762

Enlightened
I enjoy the 180 lumens from my P2D. And it's smaller. Wouldn't it have been easier to snag a P2D body and tailcap from Fenix-Store for like 23 bucks and get some very affordable RCR123's and a charger? I have all 3 bodies(L1D, L2D, P2D) for my L2D Q5 head. That's what I call versatility. Well worth every penny. I do like your charger customization. :)

I'm a preparedness freak I guess, my thought is that I'm still carrying a light that can accept standard AA cells, not a body tube I have stashed somewhere that might not be available.

Plus the $23 for the body and tailcap is just $1 short of the charger and cells. Thanks on my charger customization too. :)

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a preparedness freak I guess, my thought is that I'm still carrying a light that can accept standard AA cells, not a body tube I have stashed somewhere that might not be available.
Yeah, a light like this that can take AAs gives you great options. LiFePO4 for P2D performance, NiMH Hybrids for longer runtime and always-ready reliability, high capacity NiMH [2500mAh or so] for longest runtime, or alkaline with their easy availability, really the best of all worlds.

You mentioned the lack of low voltage cutoff / battery protection. AFAIK, this is less important with LiFePO4 cells.

Gator762

Enlightened
Yeah, a light like this that can take AAs gives you great options. LiFePO4 for P2D performance, NiMH Hybrids for longer runtime and always-ready reliability, high capacity NiMH [2500mAh or so] for longest runtime, or alkaline with their easy availability, really the best of all worlds.

Yeah, that's what drove me to pick up the cells and charger. I have the L2D body. It gives me lots of options with 1 light. :)

You mentioned the lack of low voltage cutoff / battery protection. AFAIK, this is less important with LiFePO4 cells.
I think I read that too. I did over discharge one cell. I was testing it and noticed it was at the lowest output. The cell read under 2 V. At first the AW-138 wouldn't charge it, after some time and around 3 attempts it finally took a charge.