SF E1L question

Mortis Rigor

Newly Enlightened
Hello! For my first post on CPF I'd like to ask a question. I'm about to buy a SF E1L, but am confused about something. Some sellers say the E1L is 30 lumens with a 10-11 hr runtime, and others say it is a dual output with 3/45 lumens with a 40 something/ 8.5 hr runtime. I'm guessing that the dual output E1 is a newer version, but if it is, why didn't they call it something else like the E1LB or E1L2. This sure is confusing for someone just getting into illumination tools! It also seems like the dual output version is about $30 more than the other version. Also, does it really matter which version I get? I have a fenix EO, and am wondering how much brighter the E1L is than the fenix. Is it worth getting the dual output version for the extra 15 lumens or do you think 30 is good for all around use? Sorry for all the questions, but I want to know all I can before I drop $100 or more on a light.

BTW, any user comments from E1L owners are welcome. Thanks!

fireboltr

Enlightened
I think that the levels on the E1L dual output are about perfect....
The low is absolutely great for not destroying your night vision...
The high has great throw and this optic seems to have a decent amount of spill....
Add an F-04 beam diffuser and the low mode around the house and the high mode close up are perfect....

Ohhhhh and your asking about the E1L vs. the E0 well these arent even in the same league.....The E1L will blow it away...

I have had my E1L for around 4 months now and I've only been through 2 batteries. I use the light every day for anything from short bursts to long walks....It just doesnt want to die

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are 3 versions of the E1L:
- 2 level Cree, 3/45 lumens (2008 version)
- 1 level Cree, 30 lumens (2007 version)
- 1 level Luxeon, ~30 lumens (2004-2006 version)

Most regular dealers will have the most recent version only, but I just checked eBay and found all 3 offered for sale. I would stay away from the old Luxeon version unless you really want the flexibility to use the head on a 2-cell body. (Both Cree versions use a dedicated 1-cell head only.)

As for the two different Cree versions, it comes down to your preference. Keep in mind that the 2-level version comes on with the low mode first, which may be wanted or unwanted depending on your purpose.

ruger357

Newly Enlightened
I have used the Luxeon version on my e1e Executive now for three years with no problems. A lot brighter than the mn01 lamp. But you are right the cree versions are alot better. I just can't aford them.

SnWnMe

Enlightened
The dual output is worth it. The low setting is perfect for general looking for things in the dark applications and the 45 lumen setting easily rivals the 6PL's 80 lumen output (in my experience). I used mine in a darkened airfield over an 8 hour period and it was the most amazing thrower (even in low setting) in the bunch of flashlights we had with us that night.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
:welcome: I'd stick with the new 2-level version; I have the older Luxeon version which uses the TIR optics which has a quite a bit of throw but the resulting square beamshape is concentrated in the middle with little sidespill. The result is that it's not particularly bright (compared to the output from more recent emitters) and the focused beamshape is not as useful without using the F04 diffuser. My two cents.

stonehold

Newly Enlightened
The dual output E1E has the KX1 head. It's the most useful light I have and has been my edc since the day I got it.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Stick with the newer 2 level version. The output levels seem great for general use. But if you want a light with a good bit of spill, the light around the hotspot that lets you see right in front of you without having to point the light down, then the E1L, E2L, E2DL, E1B, L1(all use the same optic) might not be the best choice.

:welcome:

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're really going to go 1-cell, buy the 2008 dual output version. I have both earlier versions - good, but dual output is probably better for you. I would encourage you to compare the current E1L to the current E2L, however. I was going to buy a new E1L but went with the E2L because it offers both longer runtime and brighter high output for a very modest increase in weight and size. YMMV...

Mdinana

Enlightened
I've got the E1L with incan head, and I jumped on the LED bandwagon. MUCH better runtimes (ie 1 hour on incan, 5ish on high with the LED). The LED throws great - I was able to illuminate about 10 floors up on a building in downtown Philly. Low is pretty good too, a bit high for late night restroom breaks, but not so bright that you'll blind yourself.

prime77

Enlightened
I would definitely go with the two-stage E1L it's my favorite Surefire. The low is great for small lighting needs and the high is much better than the 30 lumens E1L Cree. Well worth the loss of some runtime IMO. Also my two-stage E1L has a much tighter beam for more throw than my 30 lumen E1L. Get a F04 diffuser and Glow-in-the-Dark O-Ring and you'll have a great EDC light.

024.jpg

30 lumen E1L
Picture2842Small.jpg

Two-stage E1L 45 lumens
003-3.jpg

PseudoFed

Enlightened
I've got the E1L with incan head, and I jumped on the LED bandwagon. MUCH better runtimes (ie 1 hour on incan, 5ish on high with the LED). The LED throws great - I was able to illuminate about 10 floors up on a building in downtown Philly. Low is pretty good too, a bit high for late night restroom breaks, but not so bright that you'll blind yourself.

Late night restroom trips are the primary use for my newer dual output. I disagree with the low being too high IF you attach the F04 diffuser that is. I find this light with the diffuser PERFECT low level flood for late night extremely dark use where your eyes need a minimum of light. Get it!

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Mortis Rigor and :welcome:

Like most people around here I suggest the 2008 dual-output version with an additional F04 beam diffuser.

In order to help you in choosing the right one, here's a picture of the packages of the two CREE types:

e1lvn7.jpg

:thumbsup:

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
I had the old Luxeon E1L. I really like the pocketability and feel in my hand. It didn't fill the bill for EDC though. A little too bright and focused. A great special use light. I have the beamshaper, but that was not something I wanted to keep track of when out and about.

I later upgraded to the 2 stage version. Now I love this light. I spent the summer carrying around both the E1L and my Fenix P2D q5. I was trying to decide which one got the edc spot. I still can't decide which I like better. Yes, one is more of a thrower and the other a flood, but they both get the job done for me. The fenix throws enough and the E1L spills enough to be useful for me. Most of my light use is daytime, so I'm not night adjusted. I'm usually looking inside of a piece of equipment or heading into my dim storeroom for parts/tools and the low beam is plenty good for this.

The only way you can go wrong with the 2 stage E1L is if you really want a wide flood or if you really hate the idea of clicking through LOW each time to get to high beam. I like it that way and would not care for a light that started on high.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only way you can go wrong with the 2 stage E1L is if you really want a wide flood or if you really hate the idea of clicking through LOW each time to get to high beam.

For those who don't like to start with low there's always E1B that on the contrary starts with high. :)

Mortis Rigor

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the info and recommendations everyone. I'll probably go with the 2-stage version as many suggested. I'm not sure I followed all the flashlight lingo, but I plan on learning more about lights in the future so this forum will be a great resource. I'll be sure to do a short review of my light when it gets here!