CR2 pocket/key chain sized lights

mrme

Enlightened
Last time I was up on flashlight technology, Luxeon III was still king of the hill. I remember there being a pretty decent offering the CR2 battery size. I recently found a bunch on clearance and now I need something to put them in. My little coin cell light recently gave out, so I figured it's time to upgrade.

However, there don't seem to be many lights that use CR2's anymore. What happened? Any recommendations?

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
However, there don't seem to be many lights that use CR2's anymore. What happened? Any recommendations?

Lummi Raw is pretty darn nice.. Especially with the neutral white emitter. Also you might try to find a Muyshondt Aeon, which get rave reviews from what I've seen...

That's all I've ever cared to pay attention to, though I'm reasonably sure there are plenty of other options that more informed people can direct you towards.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Things have changed quite a bit since the Lux III. The current gen LEDs are at least twice as efficient as the Luxeon I and IIIs. That means twice or more output for the same power input or more then double the runtime for the same output. The more common ones are the Cree XR-E, Seoul P4(good replacement for a Luxeon), Seoul P7(4 Seoul P4s in one package), Cree MC-E(4 Cree XR-Es in one package), Luxeon Rebel(has some problems) and Luxeon TFFC K2. Time to upgrade!

As for CR2 lights, there doesn't seem to be much in that area. There is the Lummi lights, the Muyshondt Aeon, the Liteflux LF4, IIRC the Ion has a Cree version, there are some lower priced CR2 powered lights like this one. There have also been mods.

Welcome Back!

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 Lummi

Get yourself at least one in your lifetime :)

3rd Degree

Newly Enlightened
Coleman has a 2xCr2 light with a cree XR-E. It's rated at 115 lumens if I remember right. While its to big for keychain, it may make a good pocket light. Not as good a light as the others recommended so far but for about $25 at wally world... not to bad

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Take a good look at the PEAK PACIFIC in its CR2 body/P4 LED variants.

You can order it in 4 power levels, depending upon the run-time vs. brightness levels you desire. Not sure if they have any left in classy brass, but the stainless steel and HA alum. are fine. Very pocket-able, excellent build quality.

As an aside, I note that "key-chain" and "pocket sized" are pretty subjective terms -- highly dependent on one's lifestyle, clothing/trouser quality and fit (loose vs. nut-hugger), and attitude.

Good luck in your search.

shomie911

Enlightened
Take a good look at the PEAK PACIFIC in its CR2 body/P4 LED variants.

You can order it in 4 power levels, depending upon the run-time vs. brightness levels you desire. Not sure if they have any left in classy brass, but the stainless steel and HA alum. are fine. Very pocket-able, excellent build quality.

As an aside, I note that "key-chain" and "pocket sized" are pretty subjective terms -- highly dependent on one's lifestyle, clothing/trouser quality and fit (loose vs. nut-hugger), and attitude.

Good luck in your search.

I strongly recommend Peak flashlights, their quality and customer service is unmatched.

chorlton

Newly Enlightened
P9240122.jpg

Orb Raw NS 200/100 Lumens Cree R2 (Orb Wee on left) Beautiful Lights :twothumbs

http://web.mac.com/Lummii/Lummi2/Lummi_Home.html

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Surefire Titan and a LiteFlux LF4 and they both work well with a 3.0V 15270 UltraFire protected cell. The LiteFlux is very compact and powerful for its size and the Titan is the Titan... :cool:

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Raw Al, Ti, and NS use a 14250. A CR2 is a little too big to fit in them. Rob said he is is planning on releasing a new Raw CR2 version before the end of the year in this post.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of these UltraFire lites. It's basically a cheap lite but poor threads but the really neat thing is that it's both 2AA lite which taken a part becomes 1xCR2.

Here it is fully assembled:

ultrafire2001.jpg

Here is just the CR2 part:

ultrafire1.jpg

IMO, CR2 is not practical, difficult to hold. I only got it because I have lots of cells for another device that uses CR2.

Neat backup lite,, you can do cool things with it like

Mouth-hold easily versus 2AA

fits in the watch pocket of the jeans

There are definitely better lites than this one but they all seem to be custom made and ungodly expensive, or else not that bright.

Last edited:

litetube

Enlightened
Your forgetting the Amilite Cuty. Cr2. It is very well made, a twisty though and a pretty good price at LIGHTHOUND