LED Failure

okbohn

Newly Enlightened
I am new to LEDs. I am totally sold on them--LOVE them.

so here is my question--they seem so solidly built. What kind of unique issues do you have with LED lights? What really stupid thing can you do to mess them up?

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reverse battery polarity.

EDIT: I should clarify, reverse polarity doesn't typically damage the LED itself (which, still functioning as a diode, blocks current with reverse polarity), but most driver boards release the dreaded magic smoke when power is applied to them backwards.

Last edited:

Rossymeister

Enlightened
-Reverse Polarity
-Overdriving With Too High Of A Current
-Chip Weevils
-Overheating
-Accidentally Touching The Dome Of The LED

Thats all that i can think of at the moment

okbohn

Newly Enlightened
On the reverse polarity thing...don't some of the lights have protection for that? Does it work?

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the reverse polarity thing...don't some of the lights have protection for that? Does it work?

Mechanical reverse polarity protection involves a nub on either side of the positive contact on the bottom of the board to prevent the cell's flat bottom from making contact. Beautifully simple. Other boards have diodes on them, but this can be wasteful of battery capacity.

okbohn

Newly Enlightened
Reverse battery polarity.

EDIT: I should clarify, reverse polarity doesn't typically damage the LED itself (which, still functioning as a diode, blocks current with reverse polarity), but most driver boards release the dreaded magic smoke when power is applied to them backwards.

Smoke would be bad. :)

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am new to LEDs. I am totally sold on them--LOVE them.

so here is my question--What kind of unique issues do you have with LED lights?

LEDs are very solid along with the respective Printed Circuit Boards they're attached to. And most of us would agree, "we're sold on them and we Love them too." The only down fall at present ( beyond the physical limitations mentioned above) is their varying degrees of tint, even among the same bin. Also the strong degree of Blue wavelengths of light and the weak wavelenghts of Reds. In many situations LED's will not provide the color accuracy or depth of field a equal lumen bulb will, and in outdoor situations some still prefer the bulb.

Welcome to CPF. As you read the posts you will learn the differences between the different LED's, HID's, Bulbs, etc.... ENJOY

Bill

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
In some VERY cheap multi LED lights often some of the LEDs will go out because they are directly driven pretty hard.

Other than that I had one DX LED drop in for the P60 capable lights fail. Don't know if driver or LED itself. But again this was a cheap thing.

Buy quality stuff like Garrity 9LED 3AAA in cheapish, or Inova or Fenix in better stuff and you'll be fine!

Rossymeister

Enlightened
No, only a light that uses a driver without reverse polarity protection will be damaged. Reverse polarity won't do anything to a direct drive light.

It Was My Understanding That:

The reverse breakdown voltage of a LED is very low, And since the supply impedance to LEDs is inevitably very low, a heavy enough current can damage the LED.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
What can happen if the dome is touched?

We have touched the dome of a P7 quite a few times and it seems to work fine still.:eek: We took the Bezel or head out because we want 180 degree of spill at that time.

Damaging the dome is the problem, but you still don't want oils from your fingers interfering with the light output. That's fairly small potatoes though.

brightarc

Newly Enlightened
Chip weevils?! you must be joking, right?
Please tell me that you're joking! :eek:

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh OK. Will avoid touching it again.

It felt almost like silicon when touch.

That's because it is :) Older luxeon I/III/V leds had solid epoxy domes, generally not easy to damage by touching or cleaning off with a cloth. The new ones use optical grade high temp silicone. This is better for the LED electronics because it puts less thermal stress on the connections, but it's much easier to damage or knock the dome off by physical contact. Shock shouldn't be a problem though.