don't change batteries of your EX10....broken housing

ichoderso

Enlightened
I think, pictures say more than words....pleas click on the pictures for better resolution:

This EX10 is from Fenixstore and I used it only some times. I changed the batteries on this light aproximately 5 times and the last it makes "klick" and I had the results from the fotos. The housing is very thinly on this part...on picture 5 you can see inside the threats vom outside
I hobe you can understand me a little bit, my english is bad, I know....
greetings from germany, Jens

jupello

Enlightened
ouch.. that sucks.. haven't seen that one before.. Seems like they have made it so thin from the threads that even the "military grade aluminum" cant last there :(
Have you contacted fenix-store/4sevens for replacement?

Gator762

Enlightened
Doh! That sucks. In a way at least it was new, replacement shouldn't be a problem. Someone else had a D10 that died in the clothes dryer recently.

ichoderso

Enlightened
Have you contacted fenix-store/4sevens for replacement?

yes, I have send a mail to 4sevens with a link to this thread an I hope, he can send me a replacement.
The question is: there are all housings so extrem thin on this part, or I had no luck and is mine especcialy thin...???

jupello

Enlightened
Yeah, it could be a design issue.. but since there haven't been more cases like this reported it could be just a bad individual light..

superflytnt

Enlightened
I've read several posts about the D10/EX10 denting easily when dropped but this is a new one to me. They supposedly use a tougher grade of aluminium (7075?) but they sure did make it thin. Makes it nice and compact/light but maybe not so strong..............

litetube

Enlightened
I'm still trying to figure out what happened here. The threads actually snapped off in a neat little ring? How could that happen? The forces applied to unscrew the head from the body shouldnt be that severe. It has to be a bad unit with some kind of prestressed fracture in the metal?
Never seen anything like that. I am starting to wonder about the Grade of Alum. being used in the PDs though.

FRANKVZ

Enlightened
I'm still trying to figure out what happened here. The threads actually snapped off in a neat little ring? How could that happen? The forces applied to unscrew the head from the body shouldnt be that severe. It has to be a bad unit with some kind of prestressed fracture in the metal?
Never seen anything like that. I am starting to wonder about the Grade of Alum. being used in the PDs though.

It appears from the second photo that there was only a couple of thousandths of aluminum left after machining the head.

ichoderso

Enlightened

on the second photo you can see the broken side from the housing, please see at the lower part of the photo, you can see any silver parts at the inside of the ring, only this is broken aluminium, the most you can see, is the thread from the side, about 95% are black (anodyzed) so I think, the material is to thin ore/and the thread is to deep and cut the material (sorry, is heavy for me, to find the right words....and I hate online translators...)

greetings, Jens

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, I have send a mail to 4sevens with a link to this thread an I hope, he can send me a replacement.
The question is: there are all housings so extrem thin on this part, or I had no luck and is mine especcialy thin...???
Sorry to hear about this happening. We will exchange that light for you.
I've just responded to your email.

The earlier runs had thinner walls. The ex10 and d10 have since been
improved - as well as other improvements - such as a slightly thicker SS bezel
in the ex10.
The material is indeed 7075 alloy imported from outside of asia. Due to the quality of the material, that is why they pushed the limits of the material and
machining capacity. Again, if anyone has an issue. We'll take care of it.

Last edited:

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
So far, I haven't had a problem with my D10.

Is there a way to determine if I have an 'earlier' version? The number on my card with the package is in the mid-five hundreds, but obviously the card is not necessarily a good indicator of the version.

I'm easy on my stuff, so I'm hopeful I won't have a failure if I have an early one.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far, I haven't had a problem with my D10.

Is there a way to determine if I have an 'earlier' version? The number on my card with the package is in the mid-five hundreds, but obviously the card is not necessarily a good indicator of the version.

I'm easy on my stuff, so I'm hopeful I won't have a failure if I have an early one.
I wouldn't worry about it. Just use it just like any other rugged tool. If an
issue comes up, just contact us and we'll take care of you.

ichoderso

Enlightened

in the ex10.
The material is indeed 7075 alloy imported from outside of asia. Due to the quality of the material, that is why they pushed the limits of the material and

4sevens, that sounds good:) I have many lights, any fenix, Novatac, Nitecores, Regalight, lightflux etc.... but I like this one especcialy because it is simple to use, small and bright....thank you, for your fast answer and great service!

mr.snakeman

Enlightened

in the ex10.
I´ve got serial nr #0032 (EX10) and serial nr #00005 (D 10). They are my EDC´s. Do I have potential problems? Please advise.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I´ve got serial nr #0032 (EX10) and serial nr #00005 (D 10). They are my EDC´s. Do I have potential problems? Please advise.
I don't have the exact serial number info, but given your low serial number,
I'd say you're in the first batch. But as I told PhotonBoy, don't worry - just
use it normally. If something comes up we'll be here to take care of you.

Our policy is not too different from the Craftsman (Sears) brand. Use it like
it should be used, if anything comes up we'll repair or replace for the life
of the product.

I do my own work on my car and the only tools that I buy are Craftsman.
Granted they are not the highest grade professional tools like snap-on and
others, they are still built very well. Last time I was removing a wheel hub
with huge socket size and I broke the socket. Well a 5 minute trip to my
nearby Sears fixed that problem. They swapped the socket out immediately
no questions asked and I was able to continue working on my car the same
day.

Last edited:

brandx

Newly Enlightened
This seems to be the first instance of this to arise so it's not like a pandemic suddenly errupted. Maybe the cutter was changed just prior to machining said unit and the bit dug in, who knows. My EX10 has been EDC'd since it's arrival with no issues as has many other's here. No doubt that IF a problem comes up, 7777 will handle it just fine, so I have no concern here. Still don't care for the UI, but I am in the minority on that issue on what I otherwise consider an outstanding light. Running AW cell so battery gets changed every weekend JIC. Ain't broke yet.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Our policy is not too different from the Craftsman (Sears) brand. Use it like
it should be used, if anything comes up we'll repair or replace for the life
of the product.

He stands behind what he says.:twothumbs

I have an early unit that has gone through 15+ cells, several disassembly/reassembly routines and it is fine.
I know if something were to happen 47's would take care of it (within reason.....empty your pockets and do your own laundry :nana:), so use them, use them often.:grin2:

Latest posts