RIP Paul Newman

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Damn!

I hate news like that first thing in the morning.

If you have never seen a Paul Newman movie, I can recommend just about all of them.

I think the movie "Abesnce of Malice" is an under appreciated masterpiece.

The Sting is another one that I remember fondly. It taught me that a perfect con is one where the mark never knows he was conned. A good life lesson. :)

Here's to Mr Newman! Thanks!

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: RIP Paul Neuman

Sad to see such a good example of a human being leave us.

shakeylegs

Enlightened

Very sad news for those of us who grew up watching him. Apparently he often joked about the spagetti sauce bringing in more revenue than the films. How many people today have the kind of integrity and reputation that would allow a diverse product line (his daughters project) to thrive. They are good products but it was his good name that made them a hit.

I agree with Gadget. His film roles were memorable and varied:
Somebody Up There Likes Me
The Long, Hot Summer
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
The Hustler
Hud
Cool Hand Luke
The Sting
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

He was also a fine director. The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds (1972) and Sometimes a Great Notion (1971) were both fine efforts.

We've lost a good and kind man in a time when we more of them
Rest Peacefully

Darkpower

Newly Enlightened

I absolutely loved him in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. I remember being a kid at a summer camp and they played that for us on the weekend movie theater which was an open air theater on the camp grounds in North Carolina.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

Paul NeWman - that might get more people to see the thread.

I've fixed it. Thanks for catching that, Luke.

I noticed today that Cool Hand Luke is out on Blu-Ray. Good to see his works being resurrected in High Def.

Last edited:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast

I remember watching The Sting. We actually thought he was killed at the end. Great actor, they don't make em like that anymore.

phosphor

Enlightened
............a remarkable man who led a remarkable life. When you stop and think about all the "life" that he packed into 83 years it's nothing short of inspiring......major film actor and entertainer , world class race driver, husband and father, and perhaps most impressive......humanitairan and philanthropist. Surely the world is a better place because of him !

- regards

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
What we have here is a failure to communicate. Strother Martin- Cool Hand Luke

LEDMaster2003_V2

Newly Enlightened
Sad. But now who's going to do Hudson if Pixar does another Cars movie? and yes his other movies were excellent.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whenever someone famous dies I first learn about it here in the cafe. Maybe we should have a sub category just for obituaries.