Ultimate EDC: $150 and under (R/CR123a)

shomie911

Enlightened
Alright I'm on a quest to find my perfect RCR123A (or CR123A) EDC.

I found my perfect AA EDC in the Peak Kino Bay Stainless Steel P4.

But I still want to have the option of a high-output screamer.

I've had my eyes on a Peak Rainier SS P4 for a while now, but after reading a lot of good things about he Surefire E1B and a few other lights I'm not so sure.

Keep in mind that this for for EDC so the light should be easily conciealbe alongside my smart phone. The smart phone is big enough that the Kino Bay is impossible to notice in my pocket, so I'm hoping whatever EDC you guys suggest will follow along the same lines. This was another reason why I was thinking about the Peak Rainier, it's about 3.5 in. long, the body is about .8 in and the head is about an 1 in., so it is very small.

What do you guys think is the ultimate R/CR123A EDC?

shomie911

Enlightened
In my book EDC means versatility, reliability, performance, size. Bitz.

I'm not a fan of multi-mode lights.

Is it possible for high to come on every time?

It seems small enough.

Oh My Apologies, I Didnt See The Price Cap.

It would definitely be the Ra-85-Tr.

(The Aluminum Version Of Course)

:D

The Twisty seems pretty big for an EDC, I'm pretty sure I would get annoyed with the size.

The Novatac 120P was too big for me to EDC.

crocodilo

Enlightened
The way I see it, for EDC it's either multi-mode lights or multiple lights, or both.

My full blown setups involve a floody 1x123 multimode, plus a thrower 2x123 single stage, plus a 1xAAA low brightness/long runtime as backup.

If I really need to come down to one light only, it will be a small floody 1x123 multimode flashlight.

The ability to dim down and prolong runtime, as well as having high brightness available is a must.

The BitZ does have memory function, and can be used to come on in high first every time.

crocodilo

Enlightened
One final thought: if a small single mode light is really required, I reccomend a Fenix P1CE. 90 lumens for a decent amount of time, on a very nice and usable beam. Best compromise possible for a single mode.

shomie911

Enlightened
So far it's:

- Peak Rainier SS P4 $110

- Bitz $135

- Surefire E1B $150

- Amilite Cuty $75

- RA Twisty 85-TR $140

I think I may be swaying towards the Bitz. But the Rainier and Amilite Cuty are still possibilities. The Twisty gets pretty bad runtime with RCR cells and is a little too large for EDC so I'm not to sure about that. The E1B is a little too big also and can't take RCR cells.

Any others I should add to the list? :poke:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing that I find annoying about my Bitz is that for the light to remember the last level used, it has to stay on at that level for about 2 seconds. That may seem short but I tend to do quick bursts of light at times to quickly see or verify something and if I turn on the Bitz for less than 2 seconds, then the light does not remember that setting and the next time I turn it on it comes on at the next level. I like my light coming on at the low setting but I have at times gone to tun it on in the dark and had the high setting come on unexpectedly. This is really my only complaint otherwise it is a great light with a nice beam and excellent fit and finish and I have gotten used to waiting the extra second to maintain the level I want. Just thought I'd mention it.

shomie911

Enlightened
One thing that I find annoying about my Bitz is that for the light to remember the last level used, it has to stay on at that level for about 2 seconds. That may seem short but I tend to do quick bursts of light at times to quickly see or verify something and if I turn on the Bitz for less than 2 seconds, then the light does not remember that setting and the next time I turn it on it comes on at the next level. I like my light coming on at the low setting but I have at times gone to tun it on in the dark and had the high setting come on unexpectedly. This is really my only complaint otherwise it is a great light with a nice beam and excellent fit and finish and I have gotten used to waiting the extra second to maintain the level I want. Just thought I'd mention it.

That would drive me crazy. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure I would like the BitZ.

I regularly turn on my light for a second, just to check things, and if it started changing modes on me, I would just put it back in my pocket and grab my single-mode twisty Kino Bay. I'm like that, if something isn't working like I want it to, I just switch to something else.

Considering how much I love my stainless steel Kino Bay P4, I'm thinking that I should just go with the Rainier. It's direct drive with a RCR for 45 minutes. If you drop in a CR123 it will run regulated (I think) for 12 hours.

I think that's pretty versatile. I'll just keep a spare CR123 with me and if I need the extended runtime, I'll drop it in.

I've also gotten used to the solid feel and heftiness of stainless steel, most of my other lights feel almost cheap in comparison.

I'm also rethinking the RA Twisty 85-TR. It's durability appeals to me. And I've always wanted a low red in my lights and this one has it with a simple twisty interface. I guess I could just have an RCR in it and carry a CR123 as well.

Decisions, decisions.

Anybody else have an RA Twisty 85-TR? Convince me to buy it. :D

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody else have an RA Twisty 85-TR? Convince me to buy it. :D

I have a Ra Twisty 100tw and I really like it. It very comforting to use it outdoors and not worry about its performance under adverse conditions. It is a larger light but it has to be due to it's design. Overall a really great and robust light. Take a look at the Ra Clickie as well. Can't go wrong with Henry's lights IMO if size is not one of your considerations.

shomie911

Enlightened
I have a Ra Twisty 100tw and I really like it. It very comforting to use it outdoors and not worry about its performance under adverse conditions. It is a larger light but it has to be due to it's design. Overall a really great and robust light. Take a look at the Ra Clickie as well. Can't go wrong with Henry's lights IMO if size is not one of your considerations.

Hmm, my gigantic smart phone should help keep the Twisty under the radar in my pocket.

This is a tough decision.

andylondon

Newly Enlightened
I would suggest the Olight T10 2008 edition. It's well regulated in both RCR123 and CR123a. I too like one level lights and use mine on high mode, but its nice to know that there are lower levels should i need them. It's small and i like the knurling for added grip. It has a solid feel and a nice bright bright spill beam.

Rossymeister

Enlightened
Hmm, my gigantic smart phone should help keep the Twisty under the radar in my pocket.

This is a tough decision.

Its A Very Good Light IMHO.

I Am Planning On Purchasing The RA-85-Tr and the RA-100-TW next week when the Tr version is back in stock.

Have You Seen The Newest Review?

shomie911

Enlightened
Its A Very Good Light IMHO.

I Am Planning On Purchasing The RA-85-Tr and the RA-100-TW next week when the Tr version is back in stock.

Have You Seen The Newest Review?

Does the 85-TR have the same battery life as the 100-TW on RCR123A batteries?

In the review they get about 50 minutes before a drop occurs but on www.light-reviews.com they reviewed the 85-TR and it dropped after ~15 minutes with RCR123A cells.

I'm not sure if I can get the 85-TR if it has that bad of performance on RCR cells.