Whats the most nauseating strobe ona LED flashlight

jon1996

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a strobe on a bright LED that has a nauseating effect, I have a Fenix L2D but it does not make you feel funny, I have heard that some ultrafires do, anyone got a link to one of them
Thanks,
Jon

Last edited:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't found one that's actually nauseating yet. I've strobed myself in a dark room with both fenix's and novatac's, and they are both just annoying, but no more distracting than jfull blast, and neither are nauseating.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've found Jetbeams have a nice strobe, much faster than Fenix. I hear the Gladius has a decent one but I've yet to confirm it on myslef. :green: Let's see other ones... NDI is average. Wolf Eyes P7 is slow like the Fenix. Honestly not a lot of good ones out there my experience of testing upon myself. I'll tell ya my brother sure likes testing them on me.

Most strobes seem to be designed not to be nauseating/ disorienting but rather just made to overload the eyes for a bit. Even the Fenix does this job deciently. Furthermore due to photoepileptics one needs to be careful with quicker strobes in the 12+ hz range.

jupello

Enlightened
I have been thinking that strobe with some randomity in the flashes would be most effective in that. Ofcourse the right average speed and light intensity would be important too..and added colors would most likely help a lot too :sick2:

But I dont think that these common flashlight manufacturers have really put any effort and research into making their strobes to be as distractive as possible to humans.. they're most likely just added it as another feature that's usefull for signaling and getting other's attention. I think you'll notice it from the light's tech specs if someone has put effort into that..they would advertise "Real tactical strobe"(or something like that) all around if they'd have such thing :D

Stephan_L

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody,

I did some research about strobes and their effects on the human body. After a hint from MattK, I watched out for the Bucha - Effect. There is not much on the internet, but I found some information:

The Bucha - Effect means (in short):

Then a person gets strobed with a certain frequency, their can be a form of physical seizure. What is the most often effect? The eye-nerves are getting overwhelmed by trying to adjust between dark and bright.
Other effects can be: disorientation, feeling dizzy or even (in a maximum), getting an eppileptic attack.
If those effects appear and how strong, depends on how sensitive the individual is. So everyone will get another feeling from the strobe.

Back to Dr. Bucha:
Tests - mainly made by the US Army - showed, that a frequency between 8 and 25 flashes per Second (Hz) can cause those seizures. The most people react on frequencys between 12 and 15 Hz.

I know from my Fenix P3D that it strobes with 8 Hz, wich is the bottonline of the frequencies. The new models (PD30) strobe with 15 Hz, that is much closer to the "effective frequency".

It is said, that the frequency of the Blackhawk Gladius was tested and improved to be as close to the "most effective frequency" as possible. I don't know. The Strobe of the Gladius is not very nice! I tested it on my own person!

Just what I know about this theme! It does not have to be correct! I'm not a doctor! But that's what I found on the internet!

Bye,

Stephan

DArklite

Enlightened
I have the JET-III Pro; the strobe is continuously variable and will ramp from 1Hz-15Hz and you can set it whatever frequency you want. You can even assign it as one of the 3 presets. It's strobe is delivered at full power, and since this light is a thrower for its size, I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end ;)
I did some strobe ramping at my ceiling and set it at a point where my eyes were "bugging out" to look at it.

shomie911

Enlightened
Even though the Gladius doesn't have as high output as today's flashlights, it's strobe is the worst (as in most effective) I've used so far.

They obviously put a lot of research into the storbe and the rest of the light.

Stephan_L

Newly Enlightened
Hi shomie,

yes, you are damn right! The strobe of the Gladius is one of the best (if not THE best) strobes! One reason is, that they planned it to be usefull in military and law enforcement. With this in mind, they for sure spend a lot of time in making the strobe as usefull as it could get!

But the amount of light, coming out of the Gladius (even with the upgrade) is not, what I am expecting from an actual flashlight! One of my partners bought it last year for a good price, while he was in Kosovo. I was amazed about the light, when he came back!

But when I see, how much money I would have to spent on the Gladius and then see, what I can get for much less money: My choice is not the Gladius! (Btw.: Same problem with SureFire).

I am looking forward for the new Fenix PD30. If the strobe is set to 15 Hz, it should be much more annoying, than the "old" 8Hz-Strobe of my P3D!

Bye,

Stephan

shomie911

Enlightened
Hi shomie,

yes, you are damn right! The strobe of the Gladius is one of the best (if not THE best) strobes! One reason is, that they planned it to be usefull in military and law enforcement. With this in mind, they for sure spend a lot of time in making the strobe as usefull as it could get!

But the amount of light, coming out of the Gladius (even with the upgrade) is not, what I am expecting from an actual flashlight! One of my partners bought it last year for a good price, while he was in Kosovo. I was amazed about the light, when he came back!

But when I see, how much money I would have to spent on the Gladius and then see, what I can get for much less money: My choice is not the Gladius! (Btw.: Same problem with SureFire).

I am looking forward for the new Fenix PD30. If the strobe is set to 15 Hz, it should be much more annoying, than the "old" 8Hz-Strobe of my P3D!

Bye,

Stephan

I'm sad that they haven't updated the Gladius. It truly is the premier tactical light.

It's the only light I've owned so far that I would actually bet my life on. I had absolute confidence that it would work everytime.

I'm about to buy a RA Twisty 85-TR and I'm hoping it will inspire the same confidence.

Photon Joe

Newly Enlightened
I had a regular room strobelight from the '70's and it had a warning sticker on the adjustment knob that stated "warning setting the light to flash between 9-14 flashes per second can cause it to synchronise with the alpha rythm of the brain , causing possible nausia, siezures and possible brain damage among certain individuals"
How true this was , I do not know other than it did make some people sick and vomit
in this range when I tried it briefly.
But they were already drunk at the time.

Stephan_L

Newly Enlightened
Hi Photon Joe,

as I stated above:
It depends on how sensitive the individual is for this type of input!
There are people, that get "just" an overwhelmed eye-nerve, while others, who are more sensitive for this, can become sick from those flashes.

If those people were drunk:
Alcohol and some other drugs (like THC) can rise the sensivity for this type of input. So these people may react harder, than they would do, if they were not drunk!

Bye,

Stephan

Wattnot

Enlightened
+1 on the already recommended newer Jetbeam models (with I.B.S.). Not only can you set the strobe frequency but the brightness too. You won't find a more versital setup . . . especially one this bright.

If you need MORE POWER than that check out Wolf Eyes. You can get a strobe on their Storm/Thunder models as well as their new models (like the P7 ones).

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Haven't come across any strobe yet that was anything beyond mildly annoying. Certainly not disorientating, dizzying or nauseating. But it migh just be that I'm strobe-proof from flashing myself in the face too often :grin2: If I had to pick the most annoying strobe from my led collection, I'd go with the Novatac EDC120p

JKL

Enlightened
I am looking for a strobe on a bright LED that has a nauseating effect....
Thanks,
Jon

Newer JETBeam models (with I.B.S.) , strobe frequency = 15 Hz.
icon14.gif

dscf3889qm3.jpg

Last edited:

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, that one has a pretty weird effect too.
But each time i try it out i'm afraid of being trampled by a random, migrating herd of clubbers...