Please HELP a woman newbie to buy a flashlight for her SO :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iheart

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone,

I don't know much about flashlights (most women don't I guess ;)) but I would love to learn... everything, eventually :) My SO is very much into them so it's time I start understanding what he's talking about LOL He has a very nice collection already but I can't post any pictures because he visits this forum from time to time and actually I don't want him to know that it's me (please don't ask me if I'm YOUR GF / SO / fiancee / wife / sister / mother... I'm not telling :whistle:)

I do realize that it will take some time to learn about the "flashlights' world" and I'll do my research and read all the posts here step by step... However a very special occasion is coming up in two weeks and I was wondering if I could ask you for a quick recommendation in the meantime.

I'd like to buy him a flashlight as a gift; he hasn't bought any in a while... What's the newest and coolest one out there? Something up to $250 or so?

Thank you so much in advance for any help!!!

Burgess

Flashaholic
Hello iheart --

Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:

First of all, here's a great place to learn the basics.

It's our "Welcome Mat" for new members.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/172991

Do some reading there.

As much as you can comfortably handle. :p

Also, try to sneak a peak at yer' SO's flashlight collection.

See what he already has.

Especially, the most "prominantly displayed" models.

That could give us a clue or two for what he is missing / lacking.

Oh, and our website's Fearless Leader is a woman.

Sasha (sometimes called Greta) has been keeping things running smoothly on CPF for years.

Hope this is helpful to you, iheart.

_

shomie911

Enlightened
Wow, this is really thoughtful of you. :thumbsup:

As for the coolest, best flashlight, I'm not sure.

We wouldn't want to recommend something that is already in SO's collection.

iheart

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Burgess for the link, looks great and very promising!
Happy to know that I'm not the only 'lady' here :grin2:
And thank you for the warm welcome to both you and shomie911!

I'll look at his collection asap tomorrow and will do my best to list some of the ones that stand out.
As I mentioned he hasn't bought any in the past few months so if something came out recently he probably doesn't have it...

Oh, this is getting very exciting already!!!

shomie911

Enlightened
The RA Clicky is supposed to be coming out soon, so for sure he doesn't have that.

It's going to be the a very popular item around here and I'm sure he would be impressed by it.

Wattnot

Enlightened
Someone on THIS board, huh? You're going to create quite a stir with this!

For the flashaholic who has everything, I would recommend the Wolf Eyes P7 Sniper. Check out www.pts-flashlights.com .

Here's a pic and review so you can check to see if he already has it. Click HERE.

It's too bad the new Surefire Optimus or Invictus isn't out yet . . . either one of those would be PERFECT! How much time do you have?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
all lights recommended are good,
the Fenix L2D is better (because of the better price/package ratio)
... just because someone gives a 250,-- budget, it does not neccesarily have to be lights priced in that region.
We light-crazies tend to forget, that most ppl. havent ever seen a good led light
:rolleyes:

the cpf-er has to recommend member "7777", of course
www.4sevens.com
get the "olive" version, thats really nice (pic does not show color)
+ $-pack "Eneloop" Ni-Mh AA rechargeable cells + a charger for them (if not available already)

other possibility were the smaller Fenix P3D, again in "olive"
P3D olive
... needs CR123a Lithium-Ion rechargeable cells + charger
(cheaper than the AA cells and charger, but "smaller" - the light wont run as long as the L2D light)

... ask Your son, if he does not already have a Fenix.
If, it will be difficult and expensive to surprise him

Alan_P

Newly Enlightened
Since he already has flashlights consider one of the really small ones as a gift. The Muyshondt Aeon and Orb Raw NS are two of the smallest two level lights. Both are very bright and have long low level run times. Also consider the Orb Wee. It is a single level light that is TINY. You have your choice of emitters so you can trade off run time for a brighter light. The light that the 100 lumen version puts out is really impressive.

Alan

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
iheart :welcome:

You will get the best advice here,advice I see already given.
But apart from price also consider lumens out,battery size and what modes" if any" he would like.
A list of possible suspects,
Jetbeam III pro military.
RA clicky.NEW
Novatac 120p NOT SO NEW.
spartanian II. NEW
O-light M20. NEW
DBS V2 Q5 NEWISH.
FENIx PD30.NEW

let us know what you choose in the end :thumbsup:

Tomcat!

Enlightened
Since he already has flashlights consider one of the really small ones as a gift. The Muyshondt Aeon and Orb Raw NS are two of the smallest two level lights. Both are very bright and have long low level run times. Also consider the Orb Wee. It is a single level light that is TINY. You have your choice of emitters so you can trade off run time for a brighter light. The light that the 100 lumen version puts out is really impressive.

Alan

:welcome: iheart.

I'd agree with Alan_P. Your guy probably has all the purely functional lights he wants, but yours is going to be a very personal gift, something to treasure and delight (no pun intended!) rather than getting lost in his collection. These very small lights are the sort to be carried about the person every day, often on a keychain or even a lanyard. Like a watch for example, it's the sort of personal gift that acts as a happy daily reminder of a loved one, plus of course it's directly connected to one of his interests and is genuinely useful in everyday circumstances. Your guy will love something special from you that stands out from the rest of his lights.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF. With your 2 week time frame you could probably get the Jetbeam Pro III Military or the O-Light M20. Both are fine lights.

shomie911

Enlightened
Hey! Wait my birthday is in two weeks!

Hmm, I think you should get *him* a Polarion PH50. It's only $2395.

:laughing:

rockz4532

Enlightened
IMO, get either a really really REALLY bright big(ger) flashlight or a decent, maybe 100-200 lumen single or double cell flashlight.
I dont have any reccommendations for the big ones (but maybe a 3d mag with a drop-in) but for the small ones:

Fenix p1d-ce Q5
surefire U2
Fenix P2d-ce Q5
sf E2D LED Defender®(too lazy to type name)
sf G3™ Nitrolon® with high output dropin
or a combination of some, since 250 dollars is quite a lot

Gunner12

Flashaholic
:welcome:

At under $250 you can buy him a HID light. Usually in the range of 500-3500 lumen at that price range. Most are plastic bodied and all are pretty large compared to the Fenix, RA, Surefires, and similar. But they have tons of output.

I'd also suggest checking what he has already though.

oren1s

Newly Enlightened
Welcome aboard :D

I can't see any occasion is relative to me :) but i think the gift should be comprehensive, which mean, nice light in a case with batt & charger...

On my mind is SF C2 HA with 2 Malkoff dropping M60 & M60LF plus 4 batteries of AW RCR123's, Rapid Charger Ultrafire WF139 and a Pelican case #1200 / 1300. Even if i would have the C2 already i would love to have another one :)

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Wish I had a wife or GF this cool!

Fenix P2D Premium Q5 is one heck of a light. I carry one every work day in a belt holster. Only problem I could possibly see is it is just plain black.

I have an Olive LOD and if you can get an Olive P2D I don't think a nicer more useful light exists in that size!

Status
Not open for further replies.