Drop-ins for the mighty 6Z??

jackson5

Newly Enlightened
My two 6Z's would like some more power. Does Malkoff make an option that will work in the 6Z? Other options???

Thanks

TJx

Newly Enlightened
If your 6Z has it's original bezel which has a Lexan window then you need to stick with the M60L or M60LL, which are designed to work in Nitrolon SF's with Lexan windows due to the lower heat generated.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's no problem with using the M60 full power in a light with lexan window. The LED doesn't generate nearly enough heat to damage the lexan lens.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, Malkoff specifically states on the website that the 6Z is one of the flashlights the M60 was designed for.

Yoda is correct about the lexan. LED's do not generate enough heat to cause any problems with it.

However, the head on the 6Z and older 6P's have slightly different dimensions than the current Z2 and 6P lights. So I can't say definitively that the website is correct, though I have no reason to believe it is not.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Any drop-in from this thread should work.

Since the 6Z is a metal bodied light, you shouldn't have to worry about heat. LEDs project no heat(well almost none, there is always a little heat but too little to be of any problem) unlike incans. They heat they create comes out the back of the LED, not with the photons emitted.

The malkoff seems to be the most praised so that should be a good choice.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can confirm that extended runtimes with the M60 (and with the P60L SureFire drop-in) will not melt the lexan window. The Malkoff is excellent, but the P60L ain't bad, either, if you can get it at a good price. I have run both in my 6Z and other similar lights and am very pleased with both.

Kabible

Enlightened
Gene Malkoff is making some M30 modules right now (just talked with him). They are taylored for single Li-on voltage such as 17670 or 18650 for better run time and just as bright. He would probably set one up as an L/LL/F/any way you want it. He made an M30F for me per request. Just call the number on his web-site. Super nice guy!