Xenon/Red LED Flashlights

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm trying to find a good incandescent that has red LEDs in addition to the main Xenon lamp. What all is available? I'm trying to build a list to choose from here.

Here are the contenders so far:

SureFire A2 Aviator
Cabela's Alaskan Guide
Streamlight Night Com
Pila GL2-Xenon with LED Switch
Pila GL3-Xenon with LED Switch
Pila GL4-Xenon with LED Switch
Wolf Eyes 6T / 6TX Sniper with Red 4-LED Tailcap
Wolf Eyes 9TX Raider with Red 4-LED Tailcap

I'd mainly prefer a traditional flashlight body, buy I'm open to headlamps in this configuration too (and am actually curious if they are out there too).

So what is my list missing? :)

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Pila GL2, GL3 and GL4 all have a main incan head and a red LED tailcap available.

Check 'em out:

http://www.pilatorch.com

There are red, white, green, and IR tailcaps available. You can also get the red incan filter and a red LED tailcap to go all red.:devil: The parts are modular so you can come up with a number of different combinations.;)

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
there is also a headlamp from Energizer, that has 2 white main and some (?) red supplementary led

... of course it does not play in the output league of the other lights mentionned

[edit]Sorry, have missed the "incan" part and just noticed "headlamp"[/edit]

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Pila GL2, GL3 and GL4 all have a main incan head and a red LED tailcap available.

Check 'em out:

http://www.pilatorch.com

There are red, white, green, and IR tailcaps available. You can also get the red incan filter and a red LED tailcap to go all red.:devil: The parts are modular so you can come up with a number of different combinations.;)

Thanks for the tip on the Pila lights--these look interesting. I'll add them to the list in the first post. :thumbsup:

Marduke, I looked at the Twintask lights, but they seem to only come with white LEDs (no red, green, or blue).

Thanks for the input so far everyone, keep 'em coming :)

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast

TJx

Newly Enlightened
Are sure that one of the Alaskan Guide drop-ins would fit a P60 size SF? I was looking at the drop-in at Cabela's over the weekend and the AG drop-in looks like it is smaller in diameter than the P60.

They will you just may have to re-center it as you tighten the bezel.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Wolfeyes Raider 9TX is an excellent choice with the red LED tailcap. The tailcap has four LED´s that produce a nice flood of red. It is also momentary tactical push on on the bright incandescent and if you screw it farther it is permanent on. You can get an additional tailcap with white LED´s and have even more flexibility.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget the Wolf-Eyes 6T Sniper.:huh:

What's nice about the Pila and Wolf-Eyes lights is they can use their proprietary rechargeable Li-ions or CR123's.

Last edited:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well so far, unless that are others out there that haven't been mentions, I'm kind of leaning toward either the SF A2 or the SL Night Com. After reading some A2 reviews on here, it really seems like the best of the bunch, it's just expensive. I like the idea of high/low for the red LED on the SL. I'm just not too sure about the LED tailcap route on the others and I didn't care for the tailcap switch on the Alaskan Guide when I played with it at Cabelas.

Anything else out there?

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Robert

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problem.

The LED tailcaps on the Pilas are not too difficult to operate. For LED light, just twist the TC clockwise until the TC LED's light up. For the Xenon lamp just twist it some more until it lights up. If you want to temporarily use the main Xenon head, just push down on the switch like you would on a SF and it'll light up. With some practice you can also temporarily light the LED's by lightly pressing on the TC.

The great thing is the rechargeable GL3 can be had for $130-$140, versus the non-rechargeable A2 for the same price (depending on where you look). Depending on how often you use it, expect to switch the batteries out in the A2 every month or so. If used frequently expect to switch it out 3-4 times a month, so it really adds up.

The A2 bezel is not very resistant to taking falls. I dropped mine from waist level 5 or 6 times and it had a few good dents on the bezel. Upon submergence it started to take in water, so I had to send it in for warranty work. My GL3 has been dropped at least 20 times (I lost count) from the waist up and it still resists water, no problem. The only drawback with the GL3's impact resistance is its added bulk and weight. That said, the GL3 is in fact built like a tank.

To test its resistance to explosions, Pila placed C4 on top of the light and detonated it. It remained intact.

Don't get me wrong, the A2 is an excellent light. It's very lightweight and compact, not as hefty or big as the GL3, and has quite a bit of throw for a light of its size. It has the lifetime warranty from Surefire, versus Pila's 2 year warranty. It should be noted, however, in the 1.5 years I've owned a GL3, I have never had any QC or warranty issues (and I doubt I ever will). These are huge factors for many flashaholics when deciding on a flashlight.

I'm not sure if you prefer lightweight vs. a few extra ounces, but like most people here on CPF I'm assuming you'll lean more towards lightweight and compact.:cool:

Just my 2 yen.:)

Last edited:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problem.

The LED tailcaps on the Pilas are not too difficult to operate. For LED light, just twist the TC clockwise until the TC LED's light up. For the Xenon lamp just twist it some more until it lights up. If you want to temporarily use the main Xenon head, just push down on the switch like you would on a SF and it'll light up. With some practice you can also temporarily light the LED's by lightly pressing on the TC.

The great thing is the rechargeable GL3 can be had for $130-$140, versus the non-rechargeable A2 for the same price (depending on where you look). Depending on how often you use it, expect to switch the batteries out in the A2 every month or so. If used frequently expect to switch it out 3-4 times a month, so it really adds up.

The A2 bezel is not very resistant to taking falls. I dropped mine from waist level 5 or 6 times and it had a few good dents on the bezel. Upon submergence it started to take in water, so I had to send it in for warranty work. My GL3 has been dropped at least 20 times (I lost count) from the waist up and it still resists water, no problem. The only drawback with the GL3's impact resistance is its added bulk and weight. That said, the GL3 is in fact built like a tank.

To test its resistance to explosions, Pila placed C4 on top of the light and detonated it. It remained intact.

Don't get me wrong, the A2 is an excellent light. It's very lightweight and compact, not as hefty or big as the GL3, and has quite a bit of throw for a light of its size. It has the lifetime warranty from Surefire, versus Pila's 2 year warranty. It should be noted, however, in the 1.5 years I've owned a GL3, I have never had any QC or warranty issues (and I doubt I ever will). These are huge factors for many flashaholics when deciding on a flashlight.

I'm not sure if you prefer lightweight vs. a few extra ounces, but like most people here on CPF I'm assuming you'll lean more towards lightweight and compact.:cool:

Just my 2 yen.:)

Man, you just about had me sold on a Pila GL2 after that post :laughing: But late last night, I found a new-in-box A2 (red) for $105 shipped that I just couldn't pass up :grin2:. I showed my fiancée the Pilas and she seems interested in them too. Hmm, she may just get one for Christmas :D

Thanks again for all your suggestions and great info about these lights! I really appreciate all the input.

Robert

TJx

Newly Enlightened
Man, you just about had me sold on a Pila GL2 after that post :laughing: But late last night, I found a new-in-box A2 (red) for $105 shipped that I just couldn't pass up :grin2:. I showed my fiancée the Pilas and she seems interested in them too. Hmm, she may just get one for Christmas :D

Thanks again for all your suggestions and great info about these lights! I really appreciate all the input.

Robert

You can't go wrong, let us know how you like it!

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm trying to find a good incandescent that has red LEDs in addition to the main Xenon lamp. What all is available? I'm trying to build a list to choose from here.

Here are the contenders so far:

SureFire A2 Aviator
Cabela's Alaskan Guide
Streamlight Night Com
Pila GL2-Xenon with LED Switch
Pila GL3-Xenon with LED Switch
Pila GL4-Xenon with LED Switch
Wolf Eyes 6T / 6TX Sniper with Red 4-LED Tailcap
Wolf Eyes 9TX Raider with Red 4-LED Tailcap

I'd mainly prefer a traditional flashlight body, buy I'm open to headlamps in this configuration too (and am actually curious if they are out there too).

So what is my list missing? :)
The SureFire A2 Aviator trumps them all!!

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast

Robert

Hope you enjoy your new light.:thumbsup: Your wife won't regret having a GL2.;)

Trust me!:naughty:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just as a quick update...

I've had my A2 for a few days now and have gotten to play with it both indoors, outdoors, and on some night Geocaching. It's really a great light and I love having the red LEDs along with the regulated incandescent (can't beat the CRI of an incandescent :D).

Only gripe...I wish the incandescent were brighter. Maybe I'm spoiled by the P90 in my G3 is recently purchased though.

One thing I don't understand...the red LEDs are suppose to be 3 lumens in total, and my E1B is 5 lumens on low, yet the A2 runs for 20 hours on 2xCR123's and the E1B runs for 37 hours on 1xCR123 :confused: What gives???