Surefire L1, L2, L4, L5

bimemrboy318

Enlightened
Can anyone give me the break down on the L1, L2, L4, and L5.

The L1 has the new Cree in it I believe. What about the now discontinued L2? What's the difference between the L4 and L5? They both have the same output but the L5 has double the runtime on 2x123s? I'm assuming one has a more efficient LED. Which LED is it?

I'm looking for a long runtime LED 2x123 light. The 6P version LEDs look better than the LumaMax series in performance and pricing so why would I buy one of the above? What makes them so special to warrant double the cost?

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L2 is still displayed on SureFire's website. I don't think it has been discontinued.

If you're looking for a lught that uses 2 SF123A then the L1 is out of the window. A requirement for long runtime rules out the L4.

That leaves you with either the L2 or L5.

The L2 only has 60 minutes of runtime on high, but you have 18 hours on the low output. The L5 (since being updated to the KL5A) has a runtime of 5 hours and a maximum output of 100 lumens. So it depends whether you want as much runtime on high as possible (L5), or a long-running low output mode (L2).

Regards,
Tempest

cl0123

Enlightened
Not to mention the L5 has a fairly larger bezel than the rest.

The L-series have more dual-output lights while the 6P requires some after-market parts.

Do you plan to run any incandescent bulbs :D? Your decision may also affect your light selection.

The L4 has a reputation of putting out a "wall of light". If you are looking for a light that can illuminate a fairly large area within a short distance, perhaps the L4 is a viable option. I do not have an L4, but an M60F-equipped light is my current favorite, for my uses, anyway.

With Aloha,

Clarence

bimemrboy318

Enlightened
For my needs, I think the L5 is the best choice.

This will primarily be an outdoor light I'll be keeping on a boat. I need enough run time to get back to the ramp. And I need something bright enough so I can navigate an inland lake on a moonless night.

I thought about the M-series incans but 1 hour of runtime may or may not be enough to get me home when going slow. The L5's 5 hour runtime and throw I feel would be enough in a pinch. Lithum 123s are a must as this light will stay on the boat all the time.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a suggestion - you might consider a SureFire 6P (or even 9P, or a G2 or G3) and a Malkoff M60 drop-in. It would cost a lot less than an L5 and performance would be as good or better, I think.

Size15's

Flashaholic
L1 - has been through several significant evolutions to get the to current shortened body, higher output "Cree" version akin to other SureFire's current LED bezels using the same LED and TIR optic.

L2 - Remains unchanged with a LuxeonV in a reflector

L4 - With the same LuxeonV and reflector as the L2, the KL4 bezel has been phased out.

L5 - Significant change from LuxeonV to SSC LED when the bezel changed from the KL5 to the KL5A.

L6 - KL6 bezel on M3 body featuring LuxeonV in a deep reflector. Discontinued.

L7 - KL7 bezel on 8AX body featuring LuxeonV in a similar deep reflector to the KL6.

The L1 and L5A (KL5A) are the most up to date of the L-Series.

The KL5A bezel has a tighter beam compared to the KL5 for a more intense beam.

For boat use I suggest a flashlight you can easily grip and handle, in the cold and wet so the L5 fits that well. I suggest putting a float or extended lanyard on it.

Al

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I'd like to see a pic of the KL5A next to a Z44. (Or any G/P/C bezel)

I need to get a true sense of the size of it.

Last edited: