elementary question....why switch from D's to AA's?

emmagee

Newly Enlightened
For my first post I will show my complete and utter ignorance, so please bear with me. I've noticed many conversions to convert D-cell maglites to battery packs using AA batteries. Why? Is it just to be able to recharge the batteries or do they give longer run times? Other reasons? I've tried searching, but must not be using the right terms because nothing has come up.

I have a Malkoff conversion for a # D-cell maglite and am wondering if converting to to use a battery pack is a worthwhile addiation to my light.

Thanks for any info!

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using more cells will give you more voltage. That can have various effects on a bulb, LED, or electronic driver, depending on model and quantity.

:welcome:

BTW, you might want to look here. Might help.

emmagee

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the quick responses and the link, looks like a great place to start!

Since the batterly pack mod is primarily to increase voltage, would I see any benefit by using one with the Malkoff LED conversion in my Maglite?

Thanks again!

Marduke

Flashaholic
There are generally two common reasons to use AA cells in a D cell light. The first and most common is as mentioned, higher voltage for various Mag mods. The second possible reason is pure economy. Using AA's in place of D's may mean less runtime, but you have the ability of using the MUCH cheaper rechargable NiMH cells to basically have what's called "guilt free lumens", meaning they are essentially free since you don't have to keep buying more expensive D cells.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
everything to number of cells has been typed:
higher voltage to use brutally stronger bulbs - for dramatically less runtime

while I dont know what Malkoff You think of, generally those inserts are built for specific Voltage (number of batts).
When its set for D-cells and You double/triple the number by using AAs, the device will be killed. You would have to use another one.
So in short: read what the description says and use these cells.

paulr

Flashaholic
In my opinion, Malkoff-like devices make the most sense in smaller lights than D-powered M*gs (unless Malkoff has a big multi-led one, which he might have by now, I haven't checked lately). Mag conversions are still mostly incandescent. While incandescents are now a lot less efficient than LED's, they're still a lot brighter due to more brute power. Some of them are even in the 100 watt range, while the most powerful single led packages (that actually have 4 leds inside), like the SSC P7, are maybe 10 watts or so.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are generally two common reasons to use AA cells in a D cell light. The first and most common is as mentioned, higher voltage for various Mag mods. The second possible reason is pure economy. Using AA's in place of D's may mean less runtime, but you have the ability of using the MUCH cheaper rechargable NiMH cells to basically have what's called "guilt free lumens", meaning they are essentially free since you don't have to keep buying more expensive D cells.
On the other hand, if you splurge for LSD NiMH D cells, you get both guilt-free lumens and a lot more capacity...

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Since the batterly pack mod is primarily to increase voltage, would I see any benefit by using one with the Malkoff LED conversion in my Maglite?

Generally speaking, whenever you have a module/drop-in that accepts a broad range of voltage, and you're looking for maximum output, you should try to get as close as possible to/exactly the maximum rated voltage number.

I like a big bang from a little light, so I'd put the Malkoff 4-5-6 D Cell drop-in into a 2D Mag, then power it with 6 lithium AAs so it'd run at exactly the 9 volt threshold.

In my opinion, Malkoff-like devices make the most sense in smaller lights than D-powered M*gs

That's why I use the TerraLux TLE-300 drop-in in my 2D Mag with the aforementioned 6AA config. 600 lumens in a 10" package :thumbsup:

Last edited:

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The strategy for these mods can be different. You can get higher output and better regulation on the existing alkaline batteries, which is what the LED mods typically do. Or you can go for maximum output at all costs, which is what the hotwire mods do. The latter require stacks of NiMH or Li-ion cells to supply the needed voltage and current.