New RayOVac Folding Lantern - Cold Cathode

WayneM

Newly Enlightened
Just got back from the local Wal Mart, and up on the rack, with a tag identifying it as a New Item, was a Ray-O-Vac folding pocket lantern. It has a folded-shape CCFT. Claims 5 hours of light from a set of 4AA cells.

I was in a big hurry, so some of this information may be inaccurate, but it appears to have a removable filter over the CCFT to create a "warmer" light color. I believe it was about $12.00.

Now all I need to do is the impossible. Talk my SO out of the bux for yet another cool light.

kubolaw

Enlightened
Wow, is this a clone of the Osram Dulux Mini (or the Radio Shack Pocket Fluorescent)? I've been looking for something like this for a while since the two that I've listed don't seem to be available anymore. I'll have to steel myself for a trek to Walmart one of these days. Thanks!

John

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, I saw them at my Wallyworld...thin "U" shaped but sqiggle tube. Amber cover. Might be cool.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kubolaw:
Wow, is this a clone of the Osram Dulux Mini (or the Radio Shack Pocket Fluorescent)? I've been looking for something like this for a while since the two that I've listed don't seem to be available anymore. I'll have to steel myself for a trek to Walmart one of these days. Thanks!

John
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Radio Shack light (or the identical "Osram") minis are not CCFL. But they are immediately bright on activation, and bulb life should be least 2-3K hours.

BTW-if you can find one @ R.Shk., they are closing this great little light out at $4.99 U.S.
cool.gif

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr. Glow

Thank you sooooo much. I just called around am on my way to a RS that will have 6 of the OSRAM lights on closeout at $2.99 @. until I clean them out.

Saaby

Flashaholic
You know what other fairly bright light Walmart sells? It's this great little light that is immediatly bright and white when you first turn it on. It has a rediculously high run time too. They call it...

"Energizer Folding LED"

No really! It's an awesome little light!

Empath

Flashaholic
The light described sounds more like the Coleman CCF light. I picked one up at Walmart. It's an impressive little light. The fluorescent tube is installed in a hollow enclosure that swings away from the body. The enclosure is amber on one side and clear on the other.

I didn't find a picture, but Coleman does have a news release.

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
BTW, the coleman version is also available at SportsAuthority. I've seen it in several different stores in my travels over the past month. Looks like a pretty good value. The tubes length, if you can imagine it unbent, seems a lot longer than the ArcWhite by Energizer. But I wonder if longer is brighter in the CCF world. I might have to pick one up soon, for posterity
grin.gif

Regards,

Ed