X10 Home Automation/Security Users

flashlite

Enlightened
It seems X10 can either be wireless or use your existing home electrical wiring to send signals to a control panel for home automation (lights etc.) or security (alarms, phone dialers etc.). This is ideal for me because I can always access my home wiring for installation of motion sensors etc. After some research, I'm having trouble finding a wall-mountable, X10 compatible motion sensor that isn't wireless. All the sensors I found use batteries and send a wireless signal to a X10 receiver. Does anyone know of a wired X10 motion sensor or is there some 110V module that will receive an input from a motion sensor and convert it to an X10 signal over your homes electrical wiring? Any ideas on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

prof

Enlightened
I used to use X10 for a little home automation (controlling outside lights) in a different house.

All of my info is a few years old, so be aware of that.

All of the motion sensors I looked at were wireless. They transmitted to a receiving unit which then sent out a signal on the electrical wiring.

The sensors I used also had solar cells to determine night and day. Unfortunately when a car pulled into the driveway (signaling motion and turning on the lights), the sensors would think it was daytime and shut down other lights...

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose the unit could be wired but the two AAA batteries last a *very* long time. I have one in teh kitchen and one in the bathroom, both set to only trigger when the light is very low. Even with teh big dog I have now who turns on the bathroom light they last well over a year, probably two or more.
I've *never* changed the 4 AA in their cordless remotes.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Try www.smarthome.com. They have an astounding array of X10 equipment. Some wired, some not.

X10 is not great for security since it can be so easily confused, blocked or spoofed. It should not be used for anything that can cause a problem if a signal is missed or generated incorrectly.

There are X10 control programs for every operating system and there are hardware interfaces to do almost anything.

Daniel

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the X-10 wireless Indoor Occupancy Sensor Model RM518. The two AAA alkalines have been in there for 14 months. It looks like they will last for two years.

It amazes me that the batteries last so long. Apparently they detect motion somehow. I guess they emit a beam of something. MIne detects my presence within one second so the beam must be emitted once per second. When it detects me, it sends a radio signal to an X10 receiver in the next room.

The receiver then sends an X-10 signal over the AC wiring that turns on a light. Amazing gadget. It works flawlessly.