Problems with my D10

jag808808

Enlightened
Aloha Everyone!

First off, my D10 is a solid little light. I like the tactile feel of the knurling and simplicity of the UI. Small enough to be palmed and discreet. More than bright enough at night for most situations.

I read on the web that the D10 has a small power drain when the head is tightened down. That is alleviated by loosening the head for momentary use. I thought, "Great, my backup light will be dead when I need it".

While getting ready this morning, I turn the head for momentary use. I get up at 0400 and get dressed in the dark. Don't want to disturb my honey. I keep it in the closet on the lowest setting. I loosen the head for momentary use. It is already on low. As I turn on the D10 on for a few seconds, it suddenly jumps to max! Lights up the entire closet and spills into the room CRAP! The closet is right beside the bed. I immediately tighten the head while keeping it covered. It is on high so I give it a quick double tap to instant low. Ok. Put it back to momentary use. Same thing, while holding it on momentary low, it jumps to max.

I am a little confounded now. While in momentary low, if held for about 2 seconds, it jumps to max. Is something wrong with it? Has anyone else experienced this same problem? I am typically a clicky person so using the D10 on momentary was rare. If you have a momentary switch and hold it for several seconds, it might as well be a clicky IMO. Let me know!

Aloha,

jag

Marduke

Flashaholic
It's a function of the UI. If you half press in momentary, it will remain in the memory mode. If you press all the way, it will go to high.

BTW, the current draw is VERY small. IIRC, a cell would last for about a year on standby.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The solution is very simple: for momentary use you loosen the head a couple of turns so that even when the button is fully pressed the piston has not yet reached the end of its run. In this way you can keep the momentary on for as long as you like without changing the level. :)

brucec

Enlightened
As Marduke said, if you want to keep it on the user setting, you only half-press in momentary. It should feel kind of like a camera button when you half-press for focus and full-press for shutter release.

Fooboy

Enlightened
thanks - I just got a D10 and thought it had issues.

Didn't know about momentary 1/2 press.