18650 light with full regulation

fineday

Newly Enlightened
Jetbeam JET III Pro I.B.S. is fully regulated, too.

However, fully regulated always leads to low efficiency. So that's the problem.

ichoderso

Enlightened
Jetbeam JET III Pro I.B.S. is fully regulated, too.

However, fully regulated always leads to low efficiency. So that's the problem.

that's the question, what's high efficiency?, very long runtime with lower output after some minutes or shorter runtimes with full output to the last minute...???

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
If HDS ever releases the vaporware 18650 tube for the Ra Twisty... you could add it to your list.
I'm not sure if a Malkoff M30 has completely flat regulation as well.

Fineday, I'm not sure what you mean by a fully regulated light means "low efficiency"... :confused: Care to elaborate?

artec540

Enlightened
that's the question, what's high efficiency?, very long runtime with lower output after some minutes or shorter runtimes with full output to the last minute...???

I think the difference between "high efficiency" and "high effectiveness" may be being missed here. It seems to me that high efficiency is synonymous with lowest possible loss, while high effectiveness may accept some loss to achieve a given purpose......... no?

fineday

Newly Enlightened

Sorry that I'm not good at English and may make some misunderstanding:ohgeez:

Well...my "high efficiency" does mean that how much energy the circuit got from the battery will finally be delivered to the LED. For example, if the circuit gets 5 Watt from the battery but only delivers 3 Watt to the LED, the circuit may be "low efficiency".

By the way, if so, how should I express that phenomenon?:(

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry that I'm not good at English and may make some misunderstanding:ohgeez:

Well...my "high efficiency" does mean that how much energy the circuit got from the battery will finally be delivered to the LED. For example, if the circuit gets 5 Watt from the battery but only delivers 3 Watt to the LED, the circuit may be "low efficiency".

By the way, if so, how should I express that phenomenon?:(

There's no reason a fully regulated light should be any more or less efficient than an semi-regulated light. The semi-regulated light will have more runtime, but that's because it's brightness drops off quickly, so draws less power.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's no reason a fully regulated light should be any more or less efficient than an semi-regulated light. The semi-regulated light will have more runtime, but that's because it's brightness drops off quickly, so draws less power.
+1

Very well said.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fineday, your description of efficiency is correct. Less wasted energy equals greater efficiency.

Depending upon one's needs, a smaller 80% efficient light may be more desirable than a larger light with more cells and a buck circuit and 95% efficiency. The reverse may also be true; it all depends.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
What sort of driver is the AMC? Semiregulated?

Edit: we are talking about the 5-mode one, yes?

Last edited:

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
What sort of driver is the AMC? Semiregulated?

Edit: we are talking about the 5-mode one, yes?

I think that both are AMC7135 based.

AMC7135 is a linear regulator. Voltage higher than LED Vf is dropped and dissipated as heat.

To stay at regulation it needs battery voltage higher than LED Vf+0.12V.

Cree XR-E at 1A has LED Vf=3.7V
So you need at least 3.82V. But if you consider some contact resistance and battery voltage sag it will stay in regulation only for a short time with one li-ion.

Personally I like them, they have very high efficiency with one li-ion.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not a flashlight, but the R2 Wolf-Eyes Drop-in I have is fully regulated on Li-ion batteries. It isn't on primaries though.

mdocod

Flashaholic
DereeLight has the CL1H, and a nice selection of D26 modules for it (and many other possible hosts) that are fully regulated on an 18650. Also the DBS is available with pills that are optimized with 18650s in mind.

A lumapower D-mini with a D65 extention tube should also be nicely regulated on an 18650. IMO it would make a nice conservative setup where absolute maximum output isn't the main goal, but rather, something that delivers a plenty useful amount of light, with constant output, for hours.

The tiablo A8 had very flat regulation on an 18650, but I don't know what happened to the A8- seems to have disappeared from most dealer pages.

The Jetbeam 18650 lights are all dedicated 18650 designs that will maintain good regulation.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my Pila GL2. Is WAY underated. It takes 18650 and comes with its own Cree module. They have a new 250 lumes or around that. I have been always a fan of 18650 as opposed to the small R123 rechargeables. These days pretty much all Cree modules are bright enough. With the batteries AW 18650 and with the Pila charger has been working great for me. I really think the Pila is as good as Surefire, Streamlight, etc. is just they are not as popular. The newest Pila GL2 is a great host for the 18650 and P60 type dropin. I think the newest Gene modules may work even better with the 18650 as they need less voltage.

I have tried the Deerlight but did not do much for me. Sold it.

I have not tried the Fenix or the Jetbeam 18650 products. I may in the future.

Chris