• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS: SSC P7 modded HDS EDC Basic 42 *traded*

dutchguy2

Enlightened
FS: my recently aquired modded HDS basic 42 with SSC P7 emitter.

This light was modded by Darkzero. He did a more than very good job. :thumbsup:
It will come with a Ti bezel fitted, not the PEU SS seen on the pictures.
This light has now a beam with plenty of flood and still a nice throw. Due to the 4 different levels it is still a very good EDC light.

Price: 330 Shipped world wide.

Pictures are from the former owner Toby_Pra; I hope you don´t mind me using them. (if you do mind shoot me a PM)

Bild_0036.jpg

Bild_0072.jpg

Beamshot HDS U60 with P4 on high
Bild_0132.jpg

HDS B42 with P7 on high
Bild_0141.jpg

It still has a very low low
Bild_0113.jpg

Last edited:

conor

Newly Enlightened
Re: FS: HDS Basic 42 with P7 mod

how many lumens on high would you estimate?

also do you know what bin led was in there originally?

omoanya

Newly Enlightened
Re: HELP with SSC P7 modded HDS EDC Basic 42 *traded*

I am hoping to get some help with this light that I received from Dutchguy2 - He is in Afghanistan and unreachable. The light will not stay on or turn on reliably. Darkzero mentioned the person who designed the UI is now banned.
Does anyone have any idea how to use this UI ? a click renders nothing, i have to unscrew and screw it back to get anypower and then it drops to 1% after 15 secs.

any help would be appreciated
thanks ..

chris

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: HELP with SSC P7 modded HDS EDC Basic 42 *traded*

I am hoping to get some help with this light that I received from Dutchguy2 - He is in Afghanistan and unreachable. The light will not stay on or turn on reliably. Darkzero mentioned the person who designed the UI is now banned.
Does anyone have any idea how to use this UI ? a click renders nothing, i have to unscrew and screw it back to get anypower and then it drops to 1% after 15 secs.

any help would be appreciated
thanks ..

chris
Its prolly the circuit protection kicking in... HDS lights were not designed to run this kind of emmiter and the heat/draw may be too much. This has nothing to do with the UI. HDS Systems/RA Lights/Henry wich is the designer of this light is an authorized manufacturer in the CPFMP and he is not banned, so unless Dark completely modified this light with a new converter, wich I doubt, you might want to talk to Henry about this, or ask for your money/trade back.

omoanya

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Cuso -- actually Darkzero said the person he modified it for is now banned .. i didn't ask who because i figured i can't reach them anyway. I will check in with Henry as you suggested, but since Dutchguy2 who traded it to me is no longer reachable :duh2: seems im SOL so ... i'm thinking of finding someone who will upgrade the driver to match the p7 -- im all ready long on this light so i figure i might as well make it into something that i'd really like -- what do you think - any recommendations for who might do the job?

thanks for your guidance ,

Chris

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Cuso -- actually Darkzero said the person he modified it for is now banned .. i didn't ask who because i figured i can't reach them anyway. I will check in with Henry as you suggested, but since Dutchguy2 who traded it to me is no longer reachable :duh2: seems im SOL so ... i'm thinking of finding someone who will upgrade the driver to match the p7 -- im all ready long on this light so i figure i might as well make it into something that i'd really like -- what do you think - any recommendations for who might do the job?

thanks for your guidance ,

Chris
Oh I know what you mean now. Yes the person who's this light was built for is banned. If the actual modder of the light was of no help, I doubt reaching the buyer would be of help either. HDS lights sport a unique design that makes it impossible to mod the converter unless you destroy the factory innards in the process. Im still to see an HDS modded converter/ electronics side. MOst of them , if not all, have emmiter upgrades which is all you can mod in the light without destroying it. Reading the mod thread, I can see your light's mod is reversible, I suggest replacing the emmiter with a Seoul to isolate what the problem is, if the light starts behaving normaly then the P7 is the problem. Anyone with a soldering iron can do this for you... One last question, was the light behaving like this when you received it? or did it started acting up all of the sudden??

dutchguy2

Enlightened
Yes, I'm actually in Afghanistan right know and not able to respond quick.

I never had any problems with the UI and this light particulary. I shipped it in great working order. I'm sure that it is probably the battery or a reset needed.

Try to remove the battery wait 2 minutes put back a AW RCR123 and screw back the back. As soon the light lights up press the clicky for 10 sec or as long it needs to turn the light of and all will be fixed.

Probably I set the light in tactical mode or so with the 250 click thing.

Good luck and let me know what happens.

Cheers,
Jos

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Its prolly the circuit protection kicking in... HDS lights were not designed to run this kind of emmiter and the heat/draw may be too much. This has nothing to do with the UI.

The P7 should no effect on the driver. The driver is stock. The P7 won't make it draw any more power than with a P4 or luxeon. Because the P7 is severley undriven heat is not an issue. The original owner knew the P7 would be underdriven when I made this mod. Sounds like a programming issue?

HDS lights sport a unique design that makes it impossible to mod the converter unless you destroy the factory innards in the process. Im still to see an HDS modded converter/ electronics side.

Not impossible. I still have something in mind. I've been looking for a non-functional HDS to try it.

omoanya

Newly Enlightened
Hi Jos, got your email, thanks - i tried the reset as you said and when i press the clicky for 10 secs it just goes to very very low (like 1%) and stays there. I have no way of turning it off from that state. I tried various fresh RCR's as well as CR's and its the same. It actually makes no difference whether I hold the clicky or not, the same thing happens. When ever I put in a battery, it goes low for .25 secs then hi for 10secs then stays at 1%. If i screw and unscrew 3 times then it ramps up, flashes 6 times and drops to the 1% setting. This is all I can get out of it -

thanks,

Chris

DarkZero -- i'm game to try your idea with this light --as it is, even if i get the UI working, its still way to dim for my tastes -- as i mentioned, my Nova 120T is far brighter (unless of course i haven't seen max brightness out of this Basic 42), I naively and newbishly thought that just because it had a P7 it would be blazing, and i now see the error of my ways. I am willing to riskit on the chance that it could be done.

Starfiretoo - yes i tried fresh rcr's and a new cr123a as well, all with same results.

thanks for the replies all ...
chris