XJC B-8 Super Bright CREE P4 LED Flashlight Silver(1xAA) - Review

gOhAsE

Newly Enlightened
Here is my short review of the
XJC B-8 Super Bright CREE P4 LED Flashlight Silver(1xAA)

I was looking for a flashlight that has the following specs:
- round shape (especially no sharp bezel)
- powered by 1 AA
- GID-tailcap
- glas lens
- OP aluminium reflector

First impression: Great finish, very durable coating, very handy, good machining and manufacturing, great switch (easy + smooth clicking). Not the brightest flashlight around, but sufficient for the most applications. (Typical brightness for a 1xAA flashlight).

I ordered two flashlights. They both have little differences regarding tint + power consumptions(=brightness). The brighter one draws about 1.5 Ampere and has a little bit blueish tint. The other one draws about 1.8 Ampere and has a little bit greenish tint. (Measured using NiMH. Alkalines draw around 0.2 Amps less.)

Here are some pics:

Regarding the sixth picture: If you don't like the (typical CREE) ringy beam , you can use a washer between reflector and LED. Then you will get a smoother beam (see 7th pic - left original - right modded). The brightness difference is because of the use of a depleted NiMh in the right lamp. :whistle:
(This shot was made on a yellow painted wall!!!)

The dimensions of the boards are: LED-board 16mm, driver-board 17mm.

Bottom line: I really like this flashlight. The spelling "Supet" instead of "Super" makes this flashlight even more special. :laughing:

P.S. If you want to get the "premium" version of this light (shiny silver, 5 Modes, Q5 LED), then go to Shiningbeam's shop: http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-59/MF-DA1-Cree-Q5/Detail - he has a black Q5 version, too.

Last edited:

gOhAsE

Newly Enlightened
And here is my comparison with the Romisen / Saik RC-A3 (orange tailcap added by me after purchase):

The flashlight is silver, too, but it has a somehow blueish tint. The XJC B-8 is more silver/grey.

The XJC B-8 feels more solid and fits my hand better. It's material thickness seems to be fatter and the outer diameter is definetely larger.
The Romisen's tailcap gets wobbly after a half turn. The knurling on the XJC is finer / better mashined than the ones on the Romisen.

This pic shows the different diameters of the flashlights. I swapped the tailcaps for this picture. The threads are the same but not for their lenghts.

The power consumption of the Romisen is about 2.2 Ampere. Because of that the Romisen is a little bit brighter. But not much. I used the darker one of my 2 XJCs for the comparison shot. (Unfortunately deleted. But I can do new shots if wanted.)

The beams are comparable. Both have a slightly ringy Beam.

The switch of the XJC feels more comfortable to push. You don't need to use so much force to switch like with the Romisen's one.

Bottom line: Both are not bad lights, but I prefer the XJC over the Romisen in every aspect. So finally I gave the Romisen to a friend of mine.

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both my XJC B8's will run 2+ hours on an eneloop before brightness starts to fade (50% point?), pretty much like KD's runtime curve shows. This seems inconsistent with a 1.5-1.8 amp draw. I wonder if they changed their circuitry lately or if I just got lucky in the draw.

I had some SAIKs as well, and while about as bright, they started to show noticeable fade at 1 hour, consistent with the near 2 amp draw you measured. Hence, the B8, at 2 hours, became one of my favorite lights (and I've got a bunch fancier) and I wish I'd gotten a few more when they were $11.50 each.

Last edited:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both my XJC B8's will run 2+ hours on an eneloop before brightness starts to fade (50% point?), pretty much like KD's runtime curve shows. This seems inconsistent with a 1.5-1.8 amp draw. I wonder if they changed their circuitry lately or if I just got lucky in the draw.

I had some SAIKs as well, and while about as bright, they started to show noticeable fade at 1 hour, consistent with the near 2 amp draw you measured. Hence, the B8, at 2 hours, became one of my favorite lights (and I've got a bunch fancier) and I wish I'd gotten a few more when they were $11.50 each.

I too have both of these, and found exactly the same.

Just wish DX did the XJC B-6