CR2 Ion - first impressions

Gatsby

Enlightened
I finally sourced a CR2 Ion - in this case new in package - and finally got to test drive it today. I knew what i was getting from reading the reviews - and was not expecting a spotlight or laser like beam. My first impressions are that the build quality is quite high - nice machining, even HA and smooth threads. The lens really does just disappear and it is quite small. Not as small as a Jil JCR2, but still pretty darn small and quite light weight. Very easy to operate one handed. The beam is, as noted by many, an interesting one and really is just one big flood of light. But it is a very pleasing, white and useful light.

The only thing that is a bit surprising is how far you have to turn it to get from low to high. Might only be less than a rotation but I'm used to the Liteflux lights which ramp up with less than half a rotation so it seems like a long stretch to get it to high and then off. Did I mention the beam quality is quite high?

We'll see how it wears - kind of hard to evaluate it this moment as it's bright here in Tejas! Certainly the form factor is very appealing and its easier to operate than my Jil, the value of the head fitting inside rather than outside the body is more real estate to hold on to when turning the head.

Overall - first impressions do not disappoint. But it's the long term results that determine what stays in the rotation!

I do think that my initial plan to use this as my small EDC option in a complementary role with my Novatac might be a solid combination.

lightsandknives

Enlightened
Excellent choice of lights! I've had a CR2 Ion in my pocket every day for the last year or so. It's excels and what it was designed to do, which is to produce a beautiful floody beam. I normally have at least 2 lights on me so it really compliments my NiteCores, E1B, or whatever else I have on me that day. But, if I'm trying to illuminate something up close, out comes the CR2 Ion every time.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up a used one. I didn't realize how low low is set for. I really thought the high setting would be brighter. It will compliment my Arc6 nicely.

Anyone know were to get a foam ring for the battery compartment?

Gatsby

Enlightened
I just picked up a used one. I didn't realize how low low is set for. I really thought the high setting would be brighter. It will compliment my Arc6 nicely.

Anyone know were to get a foam ring for the battery compartment?

No question the low is quite low (which I generally like and have my Novatac set to level 2 on the lowest setting as well as my LF2 and Jil) and the high is a fair amount of light but really widely distributed so it does not seem as bright. Of course you do get 1.5 hours on high whereas my Jil, which is a good deal brighter, will get me about 10-15 minutes on max and probably not much more than 35 minutes on my secondary level (level 6 on the 10 point Flupic scale).

It is a complementary light and not a good choice if this is your only light ... but fits a niche quite nicely.

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I didn't realize how low low is set for. I really thought the high setting would be brighter.

My tests show 3 lumens on low, 29 lumens on high. It's a great little light, and mine was EDC'd until it was replaced by the new Aeon. Same size, same weight, but roughly 3x the output, both on low & on high.

how far you have to turn it to get from low to high.
The Ion, Aeon & Nautilus are all set up that way. McGizmo's LunaSol 20 & PD-S seem to require about the same degree of twisting.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had mine for a week now. I really like this light. I was under whelmed at first. I had forgotten how useful 3 lumens is. Perfect for moving around in the dark without annoying anybody. And the high is just right when you need something a little brighter.

I solved my battery rattle dilemma by replacing the foam ring with one designed for an Arc AAA. The material Arc uses seams to be more durable. It also makes the twisting action more tight. It is now in my pocket carry rotation.

FloggedSynapse

Enlightened
tis indeed a well crafted and useful light. on low it makes an outstanding navigation light on dark trails. a very wide and even spray of light. tint is white, not blue like many cheap LED lights. 30+ hour regulated output on low - lasts forever.

ive had mine for close to two years now. since i do a lot of nocturnal hiking the ion gets a lot of use, sometimes hours. haven't had any problems with it.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
My tests show...29 lumens on high...

For 1.5 hours is outstanding!

etc - you are correct sir, they are not cheap. I believe your quote is correct. I got my Ion on BST for alot cheaper than retail. I tend not to buy bleeding edge tech in favour of picking up deals on older stuff.

Gatsby

Enlightened
I agree and tend to not buy the newest, etc..

I had a bit of a scare this weekend - got a bit of the flickering issue on low that has been reported. I've reset the retaining ring and in the process found that the battery was stuck to the foam ring - wonder if that was torquing the mechanism a bit. I've unstuck them and after reseating the retaining ring it seems OK. The ring appears to be partially broken - not sure what it's supposed to look like but this one only goes about 85% of the way around the pill and one end has a flat cutoff but the other has an angled cutoff. This might be the design so that the angled part is what you use to get leverage on the ring to remove it. Anyone know? I might email Enrique and see about a replacement if mine is off since this part seems key to the functioning of the light.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
precisionworks: The Aeon is about 20% heavier than the CR2 Ion - they are not the same weight.

Kelmo: The CR2 Ion is a light from three years ago designed as a flood light; if you wanted something brighter you'd be rather better off with something like and Aeon or a Nautilus.

FloggedSynapse: Runtime is over 40 hours on low.

etc: No. The CR2 Ion, in its day, retailed for $145. It isn't made anymore.

Gatsby: The retaining ring in your light is like the retaining ring in every single other light I've made. I'm not sure why some people seem to think it's broken; there would be no way to install a retaining ring of any kind into the inner diameter of a light without it having a gap to allow it to compress while installing it...

As for the light flickering, in general, that's often due to people not twisting the head sufficiently and the contact between the battery and head being broken. Twist the head a reasonable amount and you usually aren't going to have any problems.

Regards,

Enrique

Last edited:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Endeavour, don't get me wrong I really like my light, it just wasn't love at 1st sight. The Ion is perfect for me, I like small floody lights. I have plenty of bright lights. They just don't fit in my pocket like the Ion!

Illum

Flashaholic
Enrique...what was the current rating you set for low?
a CR2 cell has about 800mah...40 hours would mean...your drivers sipping power at 20ma?

I've wanted an ion but I wasn't that rich then, I bought an ΛӘΘИ not too long ago...the low is very very useful.:huh:

does the ion have the same beam style as the SF L4? or is it true flood without a distinct hotspot?
If its the latter i might actually consider getting one even if its used:whistle:

Gatsby

Enlightened
Gatsby: The retaining ring in your light is like the retaining ring in every single other light I've made. I'm not sure why some people seem to think it's broken; there would be no way to install a retaining ring of any kind into the inner diameter of a light without it having a gap to allow it to compress while installing it...

As for the light flickering, in general, that's often due to people not twisting the head sufficiently and the contact between the battery and head being broken. Twist the head a reasonable amount and you usually aren't going to have any problems.

Regards,

Enrique

Thanks Enrique - I suspected it was the design of the retaining ring for the reasons you mentioned - after thinking about it. It just looks different when you first take a gander at it. And since resetting the retaining ring I've had not problems (and am using an Energizer cell).

As far as output goes - I'm perfectly satisfied with that aspect. I program all my lights with a pretty low low - level 2 on my Novatac, level 2 on my Flupic Jil, maybe 5% or so on my Liteflux. I knew that the light was designed for a full flood beam and IIRC Doug's fire hose analogy is a good one - same amount of output but the beam shape makes a difference. But even conceptually knowing that it is different to see a beam of that shape for the first time when we're so accustomed to defined hotspots even on the "floodiest" of lights like my LF2 (SSC P4) takes some getting used to. It's one reason a lot of people initially don't warm to the Ion but do after using it for awhile.

And Enrique is great to deal with as well - thanks!!!

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I knew that the light was designed for a full flood beam and IIRC Doug's fire hose analogy is a good one - same amount of output but the beam shape makes a difference. But even conceptually knowing that it is different to see a beam of that shape for the first time when we're so accustomed to defined hotspots even on the "floodiest" of lights like my LF2 (SSC P4) takes some getting used to. It's one reason a lot of people initially don't warm to the Ion but do after using it for awhile...

Exactly! Very well put.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish I could afford this thing - is it one of these $200 lites?
They are no longer available. The CR Ion is quite "old" and it got replaced by the superb AEON.

And 200 bucks is really a bargain for such perfect work of art and engineering.