A prediction: Lenses to replace reflectors

JRTJRT

Newly Enlightened
I predict one of the next trends in flashlights, especially high end flashlights, will be to get rid of the reflector and open airspace inside the flashlight, replacing it with a single lens/lenses. Like how the Zebralight works, plus lenses that could focus a tight beam. Maybe even a light with 2 selectable twisty-lenses, a flood and a spot. Thick lenses seem more compact and durable than airspace and relatively fragile flat glass.

I've seen a few lights poping up lately with lenses, and although I am not a fan of the spotlights, I think better lenses will be made.

I dunno how heat dissipation would differ between a reflector and a compact lens.

What do you think? :sssh:

Marduke

Flashaholic
TIR lenses are becoming somewhat popular with LED's. The downside is you either have to use optical glass ($$$), or a plastic TIR in addition to a glass lens so the TIR isn't scratched, which brings down the efficiency to no better than a high quality reflector system.

Only recently have TIR optics been designed which are less spot (like they typically are) light like and more traditional with some flood, so we may start seeing more lights using them.

Heat sinking is no different either way as LED's don't emit heat out the front, but rather out the back where it's glued down into the body of the light.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only recently have TIR optics been designed which are less spot (like they typically are) light like and more traditional with some flood, so we may start seeing more lights using them.
The optics have been available, but few have used them. To this day, my favorite beam is that of the Elektro Lumens DeCree - big, intense hot spot like the Surefire Cree/TIR models, but much better spill tapering from the hot spot, with no discernible beam edge. Considering the rate of development in flashlights we've seen recently, the DeCree is practically an antique.

Heat sinking is no different either way as LED's don't emit heat out the front, but rather out the back where it's glued down into the body of the light.
But a number of recent lights are based on a pill that's screwed directly into a threaded refector. It's probably just a side effect of P60 and M@g drop-in development, but still something that would need to be considered if eliminating the metal reflector.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Other than P60 dropins, pills are usually separated from the reflector, and they don't touch. A good thermal path from the LED to a heatsink in the body, and out to the surface of the light takes care of all your heatsink needs.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i dont somehow think so, i have yet to find a better beam then the one i have in my Tiablo A9. Its got alot of spill, and yet has a really really bright hotspot. i just wish it was E series competible

Crenshaw

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
possibly with cheap lights, where the original reflectors arent good either
for mods: NO
just put a Sandwich Shoppe 19 mm reflector over a Cree and this one kicks everything.
No chance for any optic

... extreme focus is lens already

PS: dont forget led lights have started with lenses/optics and were made for years with them, but have QUICKLY been replaced as soon, as the 1st modder used a reflector (and that worked much better)

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think lenses will only replace reflectors if they prove to be more cost effective to the manufacturer.Since a good quality beam will probably require a high quality lens I'm guessing most lights will still use a reflector.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I for one am hoping the OP to be on the money with his prediction and the thinking in most of the opposing posts would have hampered most every new endeavor taken on by man from the beginning of time.

It hasn't been done effectively yet is not a good reason for progress not being a possibility and I will put my money on light makers getting on the boat once some leaders show the way.

Just a couple years back there was no such thing as an led light that could do much more than light a darkened path.

Man's capability to achieve what naysayers say can't be done will continue, even with flashlights.

(steps down off soapbox...)

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
PS: dont forget led lights have started with lenses/optics and were made for years with them, but have QUICKLY been replaced as soon, as the 1st modder used a reflector (and that worked much better)

I completely agree with this statement.

JRTJRT

Newly Enlightened
I'm guessing that a lens would be more efficient with an LED that only has a 180 degree throw, as opposed to an incandescent with a 360 degree throw where a reflector could grab more of the light coming off the back of the bulb...

Last edited:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other than P60 dropins, pills are usually separated from the reflector, and they don't touch. A good thermal path from the LED to a heatsink in the body, and out to the surface of the light takes care of all your heatsink needs.

In novatac the pill is quite loose inside the body tube, and it appears to me that heat sinking is achieved by press pill tightly against the metal reflector, which conduct heat to body tube.

knightrider

Enlightened
Not a fan of optics. Reflectors have always impressed me a lot more when it came to beam quality. Not even just the white-wall stuff, just beam quality in general. The new P60L has a very nice beam with a mix of spot and flood. Optics always seem like they are only made to throw a tiny spot really far. I usually have no use for such a beam (the E2L is a great example of this).

I hope there is a mix of optics and reflectors in the future, just like the market is now. Having choice is good.

Seems that Surefire is going the route of optics for the smaller lights like the e series. But my L4 is still one of the greatest beams I've seen out of a light (I have a really nice one too).

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even with only 180 degrees of light projection, that only means you need reflector forward of the level of the led. Hence why the led sits so low in the reflector, the only reason for not having razor sharp beams is because the primary optics, gummy domes, create a less pin point light source.