Princeton Tec Amp 5.0

SomeCallMeTim

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a flashlight that I can use for night geocaches.

I have a headlamp but if I'm looking for firetacks in the woods a ways away I need something that can illuminate the firetacks between 200-300 feet away. My headlamp won't throw light that far.

I'd also like something that will:
  • last longer than 4 hours on a set of small batteries
  • will be okay if it is raining.

I stumbled across the Princeton Tec Amp 5.0 and it looks like it might fit the bill...and then I stumbled across this site and figured that as a newbie I might be oblivious to much better options that folks in these forums would know about.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Misterbean

Newly Enlightened
I personally love Princeton Tec as a brand. I do know that it will absolutely survive the rain and will probably last 4hrs plus on the high setting. It probably will light up the firetacks but at a claimed 65 lumens it won't do it overly well. How much are you willing to spend. It sounds like a fenix l2d or p3d might be a good option. more than bright enough on high and will last close to that long. medium is as bright or brighter than 65 lumens and will last a long time.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
For throw nothing beats a large reflector.I would suggest a mag 2c with a terralux dropin. If your looking for something smaller have a look at the lumapower d-mini.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
The primary beam on the Amp 5.0 comes from a single Luxeon Rebel emitter, and it probably isn't one of the premium bins nor driven at a particularly high rate. So, it may not throw the 200-300 feet that you're looking for. Since you already have a headlamp, the flood beam of the Amp 5.0 is redundant, and you're probably better off with a dedicated thrower, instead of dual beam light in which each beam is probably a compromise. This is nothing against the Amp, I'm actually pretty intrigued with it, and have been keeping an eye open for real-world evaluations.

A dedicated thrower that will run for four hours on small batteries and can handle a wet environment? Most throwers are geared towards maximum output, so the runtime is going to be the problem, though you could always carry extra batteries. For a single set of cells, the first light that comes to mind is the Heliotek HTE-1a. It also has the advantage of being light as a feather. You'll find a review of the previous version of the light here - the only significant change in the latest version is an updated (brighter) emitter. The only downside to it is the recommended Energizer Lithium AA's, which run $1.50-$2 a pop.

The Streamlight ProPoly 4AA Luxeon is ancient by todays standards, but probably throws far enough, should get you around 4 hours on 2000mAh Eneloop NiMH rechargeable AA cells (even longer on high capacity NiMH cells), and is readily availabe for under $30.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
lighting up anything that far away as 200-300ft, and lighting it up well is quite a challange.

i would Tiablo A9. the best bang for buck thrower at the moment.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13508

seriously, for spotting stuff in the distance, there is nothing that will do a better job for that price. Its unlikely that it will last you 4 hours, but you dont really need to keep it on all the time, and you'd be surprised how long 1 -2 "continuous" hours translates to "real use" (intermittent) hours.

Crenshaw

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah for spotting something in the distance there's a lot out there that will perform far better than the Amp 5.0 imho.
The amp has the inelegant solution of 5mm leds for low, and a rather pitiful "high", on top of that it doesn't have the one thing that really sells the PT brand... bing dive rated.
The aforementioned Tiablo A9 is a great deal!
The nice thing about most LED flashlights that you'll find around "here" is that they are generally multimode. So they can fire up bright when you need them to and then drop back down for better runtime when you're not looking 300' away.
A 2xCR123 light, a 2xAA light, or a light running on a rechargible 18650 lithium ion battery should be able to meet your needs very well. Take a look around and ask more questions! :D

:welcome:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
For throw nothing beats a large reflector.I would suggest a mag 2c with a terralux dropin. If your looking for something smaller have a look at the lumapower d-mini.

To provide the distance your asking for the Mag with an LED drop in is a good choice.Since you are just trying to light up firetacks a smaller reflectored light might work.The Fenix TK20 comes to mind though I don't have one yet.A personal favourite is the INOVA T2.The T2 has a runtime around 3 hrs.and is similar in size to a Mini-Mag but it is substantially brighter(125 lumens).The downside of the T2 and many other powerful lights is that they use CR123s which must be bought in quantity online to get them for a reasonable price,the CR123 batteries have a long shelf life though.The Fenix TK20 uses AAs and is larger than the INOVA T2.The PT Amp is probably a decent light but I doubt it will have the throw you are looking for.

Last edited:

Misterbean

Newly Enlightened
With the use of firetacks(reflecting markers) he doesn't need incredible light or throw. my 5 mm leds can light up a reflector at 50-75. you can't spot anything at that distance but it will light up a reflector.

anyway back to the original poster, all the other options mentioned will work fine but some are large. i still think something from fenix like the p3d or l2d or anything similier from olight or other manufacters. one of those on max will certainly light up a firetack at 300 feet.

SomeCallMeTim

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions.

The Princeton Tec Amp 5.0 specs claim that it can throw 85 meters and do so for 150 hours (which sounds great) but from the replies it sounds like folks doubt those claims or feel that there are better options.

I'll take a look at the suggestions.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a Fenix TK11. It'll throw light 200 meters on high at 225 lumens, but the setting you'd probably use is the 60 lumen low. Low will run 12 hours and should be as bright or brighter than the Amp 5.0. It has a Cree XR-E Q5 l.e.d., a large head, and a smooth reflector for great throw. It does use a rechargeable li-ion 18650 cell or 2 123A lithium batteries, so the cost in batteries will be a larger initial investment than one that takes AA or AAA batteries. The light is also $75, but other than cost, it meets your needs perfectly.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Princeton Tec Amp 5.0 specs claim that it can throw 85 meters and do so for 150 hours (which sounds great) but from the replies it sounds like folks doubt those claims or feel that there are better options.
The primary beam might throw 85 meters initially, and the secondary/flood beam might run for 150 hours - though most of that will be really low level light.

Lets say to get that primary beam to throw 85 meters will require about 350maA @ 3.5v. I wouldn't trust my math, but by my approximation, that much power for 150 hours would require about 15 high capacity NiMH D cells.

SomeCallMeTim

Newly Enlightened
Hmm...looks like I'm going to have to learn a bit about batteries. :) In looking at the descriptions I see people mentioning rechargable batteries, 16340, 18650 or 123A batteries. "protected" vs ""

Looking at the Fenix it looks like two 18650 batteries and a fast 18650 charger cost almost as much as the flashlight.

Is there a FAQ in the forums that discusses pros and cons of the types, pros and cons of rechargeable and a rough idea of the costs?

Thanks!

Misterbean

Newly Enlightened
If you take a trip to the electronics - batteries included forum you should find a ton of information in the threads of interest at the top.

You absolutely need to learn as much as possible about lithium-ion batteries before using them. Also you should always go with protected lithium-ion first(if not forever) until you learn more about lithium technology.

Quick info
18650 - 18mm wide 65mm long 0 is for cylindrical cell this applies to all of the batteries you named.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
As a (former) geocacher, I can assure you that something like a Fenix L2D will definitely light up your firetacks.

I have used mine to illuminate frog, lizard, and spider eyes in the field and I can spot them from a very long distance. The firetacks are a LOT LOT LOT more reflective than a spider's eye.

The L2D is a great choice for a geocachers as it performs very well on rechargeable AA batteries which are probably the same you use in your GPS.

I've found that I can see the reflection of small critter eyes best if I hold my flashlight up to the side of my head to get the maximum reflection back to my eyes. Distant glowing eyes that can't be seen with the flashlight held at waist level glow brightly if I do this.

SomeCallMeTim

Newly Enlightened
I think I'll give the Fenix L2D a try given that is uses AA batteries and as my first foray into the world of LED flashlights I think I'll stick with batteries and chargers that I already know about. If it turns out I need more power I can try the lithium batteries.

Thanks!

As a (former) geocacher, I can assure you that something like a Fenix L2D will definitely light up your firetacks.

I have used mine to illuminate frog, lizard, and spider eyes in the field and I can spot them from a very long distance. The firetacks are a LOT LOT LOT more reflective than a spider's eye.

The L2D is a great choice for a geocachers as it performs very well on rechargeable AA batteries which are probably the same you use in your GPS.

I've found that I can see the reflection of small critter eyes best if I hold my flashlight up to the side of my head to get the maximum reflection back to my eyes. Distant glowing eyes that can't be seen with the flashlight held at waist level glow brightly if I do this.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the use of firetacks(reflecting markers) he doesn't need incredible light or throw. my 5 mm leds can light up a reflector at 50-75. you can't spot anything at that distance but it will light up a reflector.

I have to second this, it's incredible how far away I can see stop signs or other signs with just my E01. I'll also add you will most likely want something that has decent sidespill. I know nothing of the PT Amps, but honestly I am very interested in them especially the 3.0.

SomeCallMeTim

Newly Enlightened
I ended up getting a Fenix L2D-CE Q5. I haven't used it yet for night geocaching but while out trick-or-treating with my son I got some queries from folks wondering what I had for a flashlight when they saw how bright it was. I think I'll be fine and I like the fact that it runs on the 2 AAs. I bought some eneloops and I'll be trying those as well.

Thanks for your help and suggestions!