Surefire "chunky" tailcap...neat!

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire \"chunky\" tailcap...neat!

Hi, Folks!

I just received my order from Triple Aught Design (www.tadgear.com and no, I don't have any affilitation with them except as a happy customer)...among my goodies was the Surefire "chunky" tailcap, intended for use with their weapon lights.

It's very cool...after seeing this tailcap on other websites, I've wanted one for several years now, but it wasn't really marketed by Surefire as an option for their M2. It looks/works GREAT on my M2!!!

Anyway, if you want one you might want to check out tadgear...you can see what the thing looks like at http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gear/flashlights%20main/surefire_tailcap.htm

It's the SW02 (click-type switch) and you can probably get it directly from Surefire, if you prefer. I had problems with getting them to answer any of my latest e-mails though, so I didn't bother wasting any time asking them about this switch.

Cheers!

JM-99

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire \"chunky\" tailcap...neat!

It looks real nice with a KL3 too as Size15s was kind enough to show everyone here:
fd4525ec.jpg

Sort of the "extra chunky" version. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pat

Spectre

Newly Enlightened

I recently bought an SW02 for my M3 too, but it looks different from the one above.
Mine looks like this:

my_SW02.jpg

What is the difference between mine and the one above?

Bjorn

GeoffChan

Enlightened

the only difference between yours and Al's is just the rubber shroud has just been removed from Al's SW02.

Geoff

Spectre

Newly Enlightened

Is Al's a new version of the SW02? Or some kind of mod?

SUREFARC

Enlightened
Re: Surefire

No Spectre, the same thing. I got 2, one for my M2 and the other for my M3. Very cool indeed!

Spectre

Newly Enlightened

If it is the same, can I remove the rubber shroud on mine to make it look like Al's then?

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened

I'm sure there's a good reason, but why does it have to be so bulky? It's just a click-on switch, or am I missing something here?

Spectre

Newly Enlightened

If you think it is too bulky then you can buy the Z48/Z49 instead (same functionality):

z48_full01.jpg

(Z48 is HA, Z49 is black)
Why it is like that? I dont know, I just think the SW02 looks cooler ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened

Thanks Spectre, but that doesn't answer my question, does it?

In fact, I'm even more puzzled now... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

SUREFARC

Enlightened

kimchikungfu, since the SW02(charlie) is intended for weapon lights and originally made at the request of the Navy Seal, I believe this chunky design allow those guys who wear always tactical gloves to twist it easier. Only my guess though.

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened

Thanks SUREFARC, that sounds reasonable. Is Jumpmaster a navy seal? Or was it just a cool gadget? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

It's definitely cool, particluarly with the KL3. But probably very expensive. How much was it?

Size15's

Flashaholic

When SureFire were asked to make a Clickie TailCap for the MU Series they made the most robust, reliable click switch design with "chunkie" styling like the SW01 so that it can be used with gloves or in the cold & wet.
"People" demanded Clickies for their flashlights so the same switch was used with a more flashlight-friendly styling (Z48/Z49) so that's why they are so big.

Of course all the while SureFire have been experimenting with a more compact design - the Z57 for the E Series which "people" have been demanding.
The Z58/Z59 are for standard bodies using this new click switch for a more compact TailCap.

Al

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
"People" demanded Clickies for their flashlights so the same switch was used with a more flashlight-friendly styling (Z48/Z49) so that's why they are so big.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey no need for the sarcasm, flashaholics are people too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SUREFARC

Enlightened

kimchikungfu, the price is around $55 and the best price I saw was at sableco.

Here's SW01(twisty) Al mentioned:
sfsw01.jpg

BTW kimchikungfu, that's a charming lady! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

eelnoraa

Newly Enlightened

Hi Al

What is the body of the flashlights on the right? I have never seen them before. They looks very cool.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't own a clickie for either of my combat lights and my question would be. In a self defense or low light tactical situation where it would be to ones advantage to illuminate a target momentarily, shoot and move, would the clickie present a dangerous possibility of accidentally activating and making the shooter more vulnerable to return fire? It would seem apparent that even weapon recoil could cause one to inadvertantly click the light into constant mode. Just thought I would pose the question, anyone not interested in tactical use can disregard the question.

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hokiefritz

Newly Enlightened

For momentary use I'd think the clickie has a disadvantage to a standard tape switch, if you're talking about a mounted weapon light. In a panic situation I think it would be harder manipulate and you're more likely have it stay on. For handheld use, again the clickie seems like it would be a disadvantage compared to the standard button activation in panic use. My guess is that I would probably be pressing and manipulating all of my gear with full force and not even realize it.

Being well trained in the use of a weapon light is probably the only way to determine what works best for an individual.