Ra Twisty or Clicky as a next purchase?

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everybody,

After pretty much just buying surefires as my primary lights, the ra twisty (and upcoming clicky) have really caught my eye - it just looks like a killer light!

Do you guys think this would be a good choice for a next buy? Other recomendations?

Only looking for constructive and appropriate responses - no need for surefire or HDS bashing.

Thanks!

m16a

Enlightened
I'm personally going with the clicky because I'm not a huge fan of twistys. But it also has to do with a few other things.

One: The clicky has as 140 lumen and 170 lumen burst(100C and 120C lights respectively) This allows you to have a much higher high if the situation calls for it.

Two: Clicky has the option of strobes and SOS in the customization. So although cumbersome occasionally, they are there when needed.

Three: Clicky has four customizable levels instead of three.

Thats the main reason's I'll be buying the clicky instead of the twisty.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
1 Vote for twisty here.

More time in CPF'ers hands proving it'self.
Inherently more reliable, esp. important considering toughness is the light's main selling point.
Simple
There are way brighter lights than either the clicky or the twisty in just as small a package so if it's all about sheer power there are better choices.
I have enough clicky's right now!

Snow

Enlightened
The UPS man should be bringing me a twisty today. :D I chose the twisty because the SF L1 is my go-to push button light and I wanted a super tough twisty to complement it. It's also cheaper and like mentioned above, has more time in CPF hands.

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
Few things to take into consideration.
The Twisty will have 18650 battery capability in just a few days.
The Twisty has a very low red output as well as a great primary beam depending on your needs.
The Twisty is slightly more affordable than the Clicky.
The Twisty has some issues concerning the U-wires that control changing levels.
The Twisty has a very simple UI while still retaining customization capabilities.

The Clicky will have 17670 battery capability in the near future.
The Clicky has four channels of white output only.
The Clicky reaches up to a fairly high cost threshold.
The Clicky will most likely be more dependable.
The Clicky has a more "complex" UI which might scare people away, but also has far more advanced customization abilities.

So either flashlight is great depending your needs. Can't go wrong with either one..

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
No Clickies in our hands makes it hard to directly compare, but we have a huge amount of information on it. I pre-ordered the Twisty and absolutely love it. I also have a Clicky pre-ordered, but I have the feeling it will be replacing my 120P in my truck BOB. The differences are trivial enough that you should just go with whatever switch type your prefer.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Just had to add something:
Remember the pre order wait on the twisty? It was something.
The clicky will probably be just the same wait, or more.
There isn't a wait on the twisty right now.........
So do you want your new light in a week with a free Pelican case or in 4 months?

mightysparrow

Enlightened
I have both the 85TW and the 100TW twisties (lowest level is white, not red, on both lights). I highly recommend them. They are the toughest lights you are going to find, and the build quality and engineering are superb. I have not had any issues with either light. For the price, especially, you will not be disappointed with a Ra product - clicky or twisty.

The clicky will allow one-handed operation, so if that is important to you you might want to wait for the clicky. On the other hand, if it isn't vital to you, the simple UI and switch on the twisty should be very durable. I find the light levels on the Twistys fine for me as they are set at the factory. If you want to re-program them, it is possible (see the Ra website or the appropriate thread in this forum for instructions).

Another reason I recommend lights by Ra/HDS Systems is that Henry truly stands behind his products.

I don't recommend many products to other people, but I heartily recommend the Ra Twisty, based on my experience with that light and knowledge of what else is out there for various prices. I am confident that you can't go wrong with the Ra Clicky, either. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

SnWnMe

Enlightened
Interesting responses in this thread. I am torn between a RA 85TR or RA 100 C.
My personal take (FWIW I don't own any Ras nor twisty style lights)

Pro Twisty:
Not much difference between 85 and 100 lumens. It's not as eye opening as say the jump from a P60L to a M60. This IMO makes the RA85 a great buy.
Great resale value. Used Ra85 sold for only $20 or so less than new in the CPFMP recently. Clicky resale is not known right now.
Twisty is proven.
No need to count clicks.

Pro Clicky:
Clicky is easier to use based on my experience with other clicky style lights.
Customizable with more features.
Brighter as per specs.
Lessons learned from the Twisty will probably result in a better quality product in the Clicky.

I am really leaning towards the "get it now 85" with its dual color capability. I can't see spending more $$$ pursuing a few lumens and "use it once" customizable features. But I might end up snagging a Clicky when that comes out also. This is what makes this hobby fun :D

Snow

Enlightened
I've had my Twisty for about 2 hours now and from what I can see, you will NOT be disappointed. Mine is smooth enough for one handed operation, although it is quicker to use two. Smaller than I thought it would be and very pocketable. I am quite pleased.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats! I own both a 100W and an 85Tr. To my aging eyes, the output seems identical. The beam patterns are quite different, as the 100W is broader while the 85Tr (on high) has more throw. The emitter in the 100W is warmer, yet the tint on the 85Tr is just fine.

I'll pick up a twisty- just trying to decide which one.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys - thanks for all the responses!

Great information and I had no idea there were so many differences between the two lights (other than the twist/click). It looks like the clicky is more to my liking with the advanced customization.

I didn't realize how soon the clicky is to be released - I'm thinking now maybe I should just wait it out to see how the clickys are reviewed compared to the twisties and that will help make up my mind...

Either way, one of them will be mine :party:

Dadof6

Enlightened
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
As it seems, in Europe the answer to this question is another question : Which one can I get?

The official dealer doesn't have any Twistys anymore, but they told me I could make a reservation for a Clicky. I confirmed via mail and now I'm waiting for the Clicky to be released and wonder if I really will get one.

Ordering a Twisty in the US doesn't look like a good option, the official dealers only guarantee the shipment to the border. It's not, that I don't trust the european postal services, but if I spent nearly 200 $ on a flashlight, I want to be sure that it'll come to daddy... :sweat:

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

Ugh I can't stop checking the twisty out on HDSlights.com and i think I will pull the trigger soon - flashaholism is a documented sickness, right? :rolleyes:

However, how does the narrow compare to the wide? Is it like an m60 vs and m60f? Or is it more like an E2DL compared to an m60?

Also - any beamshots and comps out there? Searched and couldn't find any - specifically some of the red low...? Seems like the red low is THE perfect around the house/campsite at night light...

Which model do you guys recommend for all around use and to compliment my SF collection (see sig line)...? Too many choices!!!

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks!

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's some outdoor beamshots, all on high... probably not great, but should give you an idea of the beams in real life vs. white walls:

Ra Twisty 85Tr:

Ra Twisty 100W:

Novatac 120P:

HDS EDC B42 with Seoul P4 emitter:

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the link to the review and pics - they are great!

Looks that the narrow spot still gives off enough spill...