quick p7 mag question (about to buy a p7)

spc

Enlightened
Hi,

My 2d mag is off to be cut to a 1d right now. I have a good p7 heatsink. Im going to use the stock reflector and direct drive from a d li-ion or an 18650.

does this- Seoul Semiconductor's P7 Emitters (W724C0-DSW0J)
from here look like a good choice for my setup?

Thanks in advance
Steve

Mettee

Enlightened
I have a DxxxJ and it is not as bright as the other CxxxI lights I built. I think C bin may be the way to go for your setup.

shakeylegs

Enlightened
Big +++1 for PhotonFanatic. Superfast service and all original equipment. If you opt for Kai's emitter, you might as well get one of his P7 reflectors and his multi-mode direct drive board. They're not expensive and they are quite useful.

Mettee

Enlightened
I ran my light last night with 3 batteries(DxxxJ emmiter) then changed to 4 batteries and it brightened up visably to a higher level than the CxxxI that I have used. They need more voltage it seems. I did notice the difference

geek4christ

Enlightened
You might find this post interesting: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/208822

Northern Lights is speculating that vf bins of I are better suited to traditional Lithium cobalt ions and vf bins of J are better suited to the LiMN high-current type of cells.

What I glean from that is the I bins should be much preferred in single lithium cobalt and 3xNiMH applications (similar voltage characteristics under load, even though the chemistries are different). This lines up with what Mettee said regarding his DxxxJ being dimmer than his CxxxI on 3 cells (presumably NiMH? Is that right mettee?).

spc

Enlightened
I think I kinda get it.....
So then maybe a C bin would be better for a 1 cell setup... But If I was to machine out some room for like 4aas or somethin like that then the d bin would be better

DocD

Enlightened
I would say it's the j or i part that make the use of battery and not C or D bins, big power battery will not sag to much, were as some li-ion when pushed near there limit of voltage and discharge rate do, i use a J bin as DD and a I bin using Der Wichtel driver, i have it turned down to 3.25v at 2.3amps takes about 0.79 amps across the tail to battery well with in most batterys discharge limit, but with DD i can see 3 amps across the tail which can some times over tax the discharge rate, this only last for a very short time due to the loss of forward volts say 4.15 drops quickley down to 3.6 ish, hope i,ve got this right good luck DocD

DocD

Enlightened
so a 18650 will only last about 18 mins and the amps=discharge rate you will not get full brightness but i think a li-ion D cell would or try a AW li-ion C cell but still this full bightness may only last a short time as DD or use a driver this will give you a good run time full brightness at the best forward volts and amps

sorry for the way i post it's type as i think it, and some times your might need to read it twice to get what i'm try to put across

DocD

Enlightened
can you tell me what you want the torch to do :
1 run time?
2 birghtness?
3 a easy build for you ( and cheapest)?
4 or non of the above?

spc

Enlightened
well,
runtime isnt too important. Im pretty much going to use it for deer/critter spotting around the yard... It wont be on alot just short bursts.
Yea kinda budget (im married) if this gets too expensive, my wifes radar catches on and then (im not gunna get into it)....

Mettee

Enlightened
I would go C bin then with 3 tenergy D size nimh batteries. Direct drive on a britelumens heatsink, he has a package deal for emitter and heatsink with free shipping. If you need wire send me your addy and I will send you the 5 or 6 inches you might need.

You stated that you were having the light cut down. If you have not cut that then dont, save the money there and get the batts. Lion D are about the same as nimh but then you have to get a special way to charge the lion and maybe a driver unless you are using just one lion which I am assuming you are since you are cutting down.

If you only have a 2D then you will have to go with the lion C or D to get the most from it. Its gets complicated until you chose your poison :) same reason I have not dont a lot of it yet myself. I cant decide.

sounds like if you can spend the $$$....get the derwichtel driver, and two D lions, and a DxxxJ. If you are trying to save money, the first option I thought of might be best.