Fenix L0D Cree tint and rings?

faucon

Enlightened
Just got my new L0D and am using it with AW 10440s. Amazingly bright! I do notice that the hot spot is distinctly greenish, and the beam a little ringy. Nothing that would impair its usability---I would just prefer a whiter, smoother beam. Is this par for the course for the LOD?

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened
The beam on mine is very cool and ringy but what annoys me to a much greater extent is the PWM. Otherwise its a great light. :thumbsup: If the tint really annoys you you may be able to exchange it depending on where you got it.

Last edited:

faucon

Enlightened
The beam on mine is very cool and ringy but what annoys me to a much greater extent is the PWM. Otherwise its a great light. :thumbsup: If the tint really annoys you you may be able to exchange it depending on where you got it.
Thanks. I agree it's a great light. I'd rather not have the PWM but somehow I can live with it better than the sickly green tint. I'm not very picky about a moderate amount of tint, but my L0D is so green that it almost looks like it's shining through antifreeze. I got the light from Lighthound, so if I decide to do an exchange, I'm sure he'd be willing. I've always gotten good service from him.

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats weird, I feel like mine is a very nice white, could using the 10440's be changing the tint somehow? I feel like I heard someone say that leds can sometimes change tint when they are run with too much voltage. I've never really noticed the pwm, but my gf can see it. I def wish it was less ringy, but too be fair I mostly notice the ringyness when I am playing with it in my house, when I've actually had to use it out in the world I don't notice it anyone near as much, I think part of it is the rings just show up more on white walls. As far as exchanging, I feel like using 10440's voids the warranty, but I guess you might not have to share that info unless they can tell from inspecting it.

gunga

Flashaholic
The tint is LED lottery, it can happen. THe rings n stuff is pretty common. I've had/tried aty least half a dozen or more L0Ds. It's very normal. I've always wanted a textured reflector, but you do lose a bit of throw with that.

If you want a smooth beam, try for a rebel L0D (rare) or get a modded Luxeon L0D (also a bit rare).

The new L0D's (coming soon) may be better, no details released yet.

All in all, I still EDC the L0D and it's my favorite AAA light.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I have some L0D Rebel 80's on the way and am hoping for a smoother beam, but more than that, warmer tint.

It's hard to imagine not having an L0D and I'm really looking forward to seeing what they come up with in the newest offering.

By the way, does anyone here do L0D mods?

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
where is this rumor of a new lod coming from? I demand more information!

faucon

Enlightened
Thats weird, I feel like mine is a very nice white, could using the 10440's be changing the tint somehow? I feel like I heard someone say that leds can sometimes change tint when they are run with too much voltage. I've never really noticed the pwm, but my gf can see it. I def wish it was less ringy, but too be fair I mostly notice the ringyness when I am playing with it in my house, when I've actually had to use it out in the world I don't notice it anyone near as much, I think part of it is the rings just show up more on white walls. As far as exchanging, I feel like using 10440's voids the warranty, but I guess you might not have to share that info unless they can tell from inspecting it.
Good point about the warranty. Of course, if I could have damaged the light somehow, it wouldn't be fair to exchange it. I hadn't thought of that.

The green tint is still there when I use alkaline AAAs, unfortunately. I guess it's the lottery, as gunga said. I think I can live with the tint and mild ringiness until the new L0Ds come out. It's still a great light---don't know how I got along without it! I tried it outside this evening and the tint and rings aren't as big a problem in typical use outdoors.

DArklite

Enlightened
I love Rebels! I have the L0D RB80 with OP reflector from EliteLED and there isn't a ring to be found in the beam, and the color is on the warm side of white. Here's a thread where alot of CPF'ers went into detail:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/173150

I'm not one of those who uses a 10440 to squeeze every last lumen out of it, I just use a regular Alkaline AAA and follow the KISS principle.

I also just bought an L2D Rebel 80 with OP reflector from Lighthound and it's the same beam color as the L0D, no rings and giant flood! :thumbsup:

ecallahan

Enlightened
I have the LOD Q4 version, and it has a very warm almost yellowish tint. Some artifacts in the beam on a wall, but of course nothing you would notice when really using it. I received it about 2 months ago.