my L2D Q5 now only has 2 modes

cadjak

Newly Enlightened
This could be operator error so I'm hesitant to say it's broken but, my Fenix L2D Q5 seems to have lost it's ability to do more than one of it's "fully on" modes and strobe. I press the tail cap button and the light comes on, I half press the button and it shifts to strobe. I can only switch between those 2 modes. I turn it off, and repeat, and I get the same results. Any ideas what's up? Any quick fix ideas?

GregU2

Newly Enlightened
I had the same thing happen with an L1D. I couldn't get it out of turbo mode. I cleaned it and re-lubed, but it still stayed in turbo even with the head way loosened. I was just about to call in for a replacement when it just started working properly. Haven't had a problem since. Very strange.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
While this sounds funny, I had a similar problem with mine, but only one mode left, minimum.

It was charged with 2 Infiniums, hardly used. I walked down the path checking all modes, everything worked just fine. Arrived, I wanted to demonstrate it to a friend, and it just glowed on minimum. I took the cells out, warmed them a little bit, put them back in, minimum... :candle:

I let it burn with the diffuser on, a few minutes later I checked once more, what a miracle, it worked just fine! Each mode accessible, even turbo!

I blamed it on the Infimiums, as they tend to behave strange in the GPS too. Sometimes that one works 16 hours with a set, sometimes only 3 hours, but I just can't identify one cell that could be the troublemaker.

Let's see if it'll work fine in future, next time it gets crazy, I'll have a set of fresh cells ready! :broke:

nismotor

Newly Enlightened
This could be operator error so I'm hesitant to say it's broken but, my Fenix L2D Q5 seems to have lost it's ability to do more than one of it's "fully on" modes and strobe. I press the tail cap button and the light comes on, I half press the button and it shifts to strobe. I can only switch between those 2 modes. I turn it off, and repeat, and I get the same results. Any ideas what's up? Any quick fix ideas?

Based on the wording alone, i assume that you have had other modes working before right?

How long you had the Q5 for? If this light is new to you, listen to what Marduke said, loosen the head abit to get to the other modes...

Last edited:

Jackyl

Enlightened
My new P3D-Q5 wouldn't do high or turbo while my CE worked flawlessly. I hope they're not having issues with the new models coming out with apparently the same circuitry.

king2penn

Enlightened
My new P3D-Q5 wouldn't do high or turbo while my CE worked flawlessly. I hope they're not having issues with the new models coming out with apparently the same circuitry.

My P2D 'lost' its low mode and was replaced with a medium mode... i started a thread on that issue

cadjak

Newly Enlightened
:oops: Okay, I forgot to turn the bezel. I've owned it since February and only used it a few times. :ohgeez: I thought about making something up to save face but, Hell I've looked stupid before and probably will again.

Helmut.G

Enlightened
While this sounds funny, I had a similar problem with mine, but only one mode left, minimum.

It was charged with 2 Infiniums, hardly used. I walked down the path checking all modes, everything worked just fine. Arrived, I wanted to demonstrate it to a friend, and it just glowed on minimum. I took the cells out, warmed them a little bit, put them back in, minimum... :candle:

I let it burn with the diffuser on, a few minutes later I checked once more, what a miracle, it worked just fine! Each mode accessible, even turbo!
The same thing happened to me once after I dropped my L2D. Actually the light was much dimmer than low mode, and the problem couldn't be solved with a new set of batteries. After some time it started to work normally again, gee you can't imagine the relief I felt.:awman:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
The same thing happened to me once after I dropped my L2D. Actually the light was much dimmer than low mode, and the problem couldn't be solved with a new set of batteries. After some time it started to work normally again, gee you can't imagine the relief I felt.:awman:

I didn't drop mine yet, but it can be that the mode it was in, was less than minimum. Difficult to say, as the place we were at wasn't completely in the dark.

I guess I understand now why other brands just offer lights with one mode... :thinking:

Sector7

Enlightened
I usually use NiMh for the L2D ce with no issues, I decided to give it away and loaded it up with the Lithium e2...at which point it started to only have turbo and high. In normal mode (head loose), it would just cycle high high high with the lithiums, switched back to the NiMh and the light worked again as it should. Lithiums in again, back to Turbo or High operation, very strange. The person I give it to, was told of the issues and decide to save the lithiums and use alkalines with modes return to normal....:thinking:

Marduke

Flashaholic
I usually use NiMh for the L2D ce with no issues, I decided to give it away and loaded it up with the Lithium e2...at which point it started to only have turbo and high. In normal mode (head loose), it would just cycle high high high with the lithiums, switched back to the NiMh and the light worked again as it should. Lithiums in again, back to Turbo or High operation, very strange. The person I give it to, was told of the issues and decide to save the lithiums and use alkalines with modes return to normal....:thinking:

L91's start off with a slightly higher voltage, 1.7v each, totaling 3.4v, which can be just a touch high for the L2D so it goes into direct drive. After using it a few minutes you get the lower modes back when the voltage is about 3.3v