Recommend me a good gun forum.

shroomy

Newly Enlightened
Recently i've been getting into firearms, but as a novice i know very little about them. So far my greatest source of info has been wikipedia, but to be honest it's a less than ideal reference (no offense meant dear wikipedia, I still love you). But I got to thinking, CPF is an amazing resource for all flashlight related material, and I've learned an awful lot here just by browsing. So, are there any gun forums that are to the firearm world what CPF is to the flashlight world?

Wattnot

Enlightened
+1 for The High Road and Glock Talk.

In my experience, they are very different though . . .

I found The High Road calm and friendly and would recommend that for a beginner. The High Road is also a comprehensive site covering most firearm related subjects. However, Glocktalk really is all, and only, about Glocks. They tolerate little else. There are a few nasty folks there who will jump straight down your throat for almost nothing so choose words carefully if you post!! Don't let a couple of bad apples spoil it for you though . . . it really is a good site and Glocks are a great choice (especially if you're new to handguns or don't know where to start).

Patriot

Flashaholic
+1

for ar15.com and glocktalk.com

There are may more though. I imagine it could even be overwhelming at first.

Congrats in getting interested in firearms and shooting, you'll enjoy so many things about it. It's been my life hobby and interest. Flashlights and knives seemed to spawn off of that.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep in mind that flashlight discussions are mainly technical where science rules. Firearms discussions are about technique, tactics, and laws where there are no absolutes. Anybody can have an opinion.

I lurk on Glocktalk every now and then. The advice and recommendations range from great to horrible. The problem is some of the good advice comes from arrogant or poorly written posts while the bad advice comes from calm, erudite, well meaning people who have no clue what they are talking about. Their posts are often highly praised, with high post counts and long histories at GlockTalk and sometimes contain some good info with the erroneous. It's a real mixed bag.

As a general rule, law enforcement officers on GlockTalk are the best source of information for non-technical firearms topics. Pat Rogers and Massad Ayoob post rarely on GlockTalk, but have the highest credibility--Rogers, especially.

jchoo

Enlightened
What is your particular area of interest? There are several great sites that focus on a specific use or type of gun (hunting, long range rifle, defensive carbines, defensive/concealed carry handguns, bird/skeet/trap shotguns, blackpowder, etc., etc.). Many of them have been mentioned above - ARFCOM, GT, THR - yet there are many other resources available. The two that I frequent the most are Defensive Carry and M4 Carbine.net. These sites are oriented toward both the casual and professional shooters that carry or rely on a gun to protect their lives. Both share a style of moderation that is very similar to what we have here at CPF - very little is verboten, but you must be polite, and speak (type) as if your grandmother was in the room. They are both heavily populated with folks from all walks of life - military, LEO, civilian, retirees, teachers, students - you name it!

Welcome to the firearms community, and I hope that you enjoy yourself safely.

-Joe

PS - NEVER forget eyes and ears!

shroomy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, that's great. It looks like I've got a lot to sift through over the next couple of days.

jchoo- As for a specific area of interest I suppose it'd have to be 1911's right now, but as I said I'm new to firearms so I'm really looking for a forum that covers a broad range and will expose me to more than a niche forum would.

Thanks again everyone, all these sites look great.

ss2nv

Newly Enlightened
Arfcom (AR15.com) is what you seek.
anim_sniper2.gif
anim_sniper.gif
anim_50cal.gif

jchoo

Enlightened
Thanks guys, that's great. It looks like I've got a lot to sift through over the next couple of days.

jchoo- As for a specific area of interest I suppose it'd have to be 1911's right now, but as I said I'm new to firearms so I'm really looking for a forum that covers a broad range and will expose me to more than a niche forum would.

Thanks again everyone, all these sites look great.

M1911.org

_Shawn_

Newly Enlightened
Depending on how new you are to firearms maybe a NRA class or a Hunter Safety class would be good to consider. From what you have said it sounds like a the NRA classes would be of more of a benefit than Hunter Safety (unless you decide to get into hunting).

The NRA website has more info on their approved classes. For the Hunter Safety the DOW site will have more information than I can provide.

Ranges/Shops in you local area will probably be able to recommend a good instructor and sometimes even have good advice.

Be careful when you are given advice. When I first started I found that when it comes to firearms everyone has an opinion and too often bad/unsafe advice is given from those that should know their stuff. A few sales people that I talked with were guilty of unsafe advice, forums are often worse.

Almost forgot... it's always loaded, even if it is not. :grin2:

Last edited:

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
This might be a slight highjack, but I have a quick question that I can not seem to find a good answer.
I am living in Utah right now for school and was thinking of getting an CCW which is pretty easy in UT. But I am originally from CA, Los Angeles county to be specific which is basically impossible to get a permit there from what I have read. Would I be able to get a Utah permit that I could use there, even though I am still a CA resident? My drivers license is CA, but I don't spend much time there. So do I have any options besides changing my license to UT?
Thanks

Last edited: