Surefire finish imperfections?

tweeker

Newly Enlightened
I am not sure if this is the right spot for this, so sorry if it isnt. I recently purchased a surefire 6p brand new from la police gear. Just got it today, and I was a little dissapointed when I found some imperfections on the finish. It is strange, almost seems like glue but it wont scrape off with my fingernail. Here are some pics, my camera was having a hard time focusing close up, so they arent that good.

Little bit near the tail cap
0ebcf127.jpg

The spot just above the triangle isnt the same as the others

3fd455a0.jpg

The worst of it is under the bezel

6d98c298.jpg

f9e50b1d.jpg

There are a few other spots dotted around the flashlight, but most of them are under the bezel in the crevaces just below it. When I unscrew the bezel there is a scraping sound, I dont know if that is normal or it is scraping on the... whatever that is. Its not just in the finish, and it can be felt. The flashlight works just fine, but I can be a bit of a perfectionist, and I want to know what others think. Do you think I have a ligitimate reason to exchange it?

Last edited:

USM0083

Enlightened
Do you think I have a ligitimate reason to exchange it?

Absolutely. See if LAPG will send a call tag for it and send you a replacement, or you could call SF directly and they will make it right. I bought a new 6P last year from Batteryjunction and it was perfect.

Till

Newly Enlightened
Don't think it's "stuff" but rather where the Type II has worn off somehow or wasn't applied properly somehow.

I'd contact LAPG and/or SF.

tweeker

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies everyone, I contacted LA police gear and sent it back. They said once it is declaired defective by their return dept it will be exchanged. I hope I get it back by the time the malkoff m60 gets here.

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, tweeker. I think you were right to send it back - that didn't look right at all.

Could you note when posting photos that the maximum size allowed is 800 x 800 pixels. Please would you resize them - photobucket has a facility to do that, or you can use any image-editing software.

And on a technical note, it would help the clarity of your photos if you use the macro setting for close-ups, so the image is in focus.

I hope you receive your replacement light soon.

litetube

Enlightened
:devil:I'm actually surprised not one post saying

"Flashlights (Surefires) are tools to be used by men, I dont care what the finish looks like it doesnt affect performance ,stop whining and just use it like a man!!":nana::huh:

Just joking around here:whistle:

DM51

Flashaholic
LOL litetube, fair point! But I think most people would agree that it's up to the user to beat up his light if he wants to do that. He shouldn't have to settle for something that's already been beaten up by a careless manufacturer or retailer.

tweeker

Newly Enlightened
Hey now, if I drop it and scratch it then I can handle that, but when I buy something brand new I expect it to be in prestine condition. If I wanted a flashlight with flaws I would have bought it used. I just got my malkoff m60 today too, and it will be another week at least until I get another 6p :(.

Also sorry about the photo sizes, I resized them.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL litetube, fair point! But I think most people would agree that it's up to the user to beat up his light if he wants to do that. He shouldn't have to settle for something that's already been beaten up by a careless manufacturer or retailer.

Calling Surefire a careless manufacturer ruffles a lot of feathers around here.