Pic Request - N30 in the hand

CootShooter

Newly Enlightened
Can someone take a picture of the N30 being held?

I want to get a good judgment in the actual size. It seems like it is too big for what I am looking for, but with the write-ups and the possibility that it may be small enough, I'd like to see what I am dealing with.

Thanks.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a camera sitting next to me right now... :)

hs95du.jpg

Maybe this one is a bit better. Both are right next to a Wii-mote for another size comparison.

30iji4h.jpg

king2penn

Enlightened
since we're on the issue of size, is there anyone with a pic on the size of the mega illuminator for comparison? :laughing:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
since we're on the issue of size, is there anyone with a pic on the size of the mega illuminator for comparison? :laughing:

Yes, THIS thread has a size comparison photo of the N30 (left) 3152 Illuminator/POB (middle) and the Costco HID on the right which has the exact same body of the Mega Illuminator but is just an older version. The size difference is HUGE.:laughing:

BTW, if you do decide to get an N30 it will in fact be a great cloud bouncer.:thumbsup: I am very impressed with the throw and pencil beam of the N30.

king2penn

Enlightened
Yes, THIS thread has a size comparison photo of the N30 (left) 3152 Illuminator/POB (middle) and the Costco HID on the right which has the exact same body of the Mega Illuminator but is just an older version. The size difference is HUGE.:laughing:

BTW, if you do decide to get an N30 it will in fact be a great cloud bouncer.:thumbsup: I am very impressed with the throw and pencil beam of the N30.

I heard on some thread that the N30 at max, will only reach low lying clouds. Is the difference in throw between the N30 and the mega illuminator that huge?

BVH

Flashaholic
very significant I'd say. Mega has 5 more watts of power and a much, much larger reflector. But it's 13 lbs IIRC and huge.

Look at the Shootout 4 pics and you can see for yourself the difference. The N30 is a MUCH, MUCH more usable light.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I heard on some thread that the N30 at max, will only reach low lying clouds. Is the difference in throw between the N30 and the mega illuminator that huge?

I don't own Mega Illuminator, but the POB reaches higher clouds and puts a much brighter and more noticeable spot on clouds than the N30. The N30 still does well though lighting up low lying clouds.:thumbsup:

The Mega Illuminator will throw MUCH farther than the N30 and somewhat farther than the POB, so would be the best cloud bounce light, closely followed by the POB.

I have heard the POB does well against the Costco/Mega Illuminator despite its smaller 6'" reflector. The POB does very well for just 6", as the Mega Illuminator has a 9" reflector.

My giant $60 15 million candlepower "Motor Trend" branded THOR spotlight from Pep Boys has a 9" reflector and out throws the POB, thus making it a more powerful cloud bouncer than the POB, so IMHO it would be the best choice if you want the most throw at a minimal price.

Overall, I still recommend the N30 as its small size is very liberating compared to larger lights and it is so well constructed. The LED's in the handle give a very useful flood beam, and hardly use any battery power.

Patriot

Flashaholic

"the N30 will only reach low lying clouds." Um, I can't think of any light I that I owned which could even accomplish that feat until I got into HID.

The other thing to consider is that "low flying clouds is a very general phase and one of the reasons that I don't like it (and I realize you were just quoting). If we're going to talk about performance differences let's establish at least some measurable relativity and make reference to distance in yards, meters or feet. With respect to the N30 it already blasts bright light well past 400 yards while the corona and spill of the N30 are far superior to the Ti Mega. I don't really believe that the average person really has a good handle on how far 400 or 500 yards actually is and how rarely even us light guru's get a chance to use or experiment with HID's at those distances. Many of us CPFers came from the LED arena and might be thinking "geez, even my DBS or Tiablo will shine 300 yards." Yes, they will but they're limited to around 260 lumens and the beam angle is so small that they're almost rendered useless for any task under 50 yards and not really all that bright over 150 yards. HID is a whole different game! The amount of light is spectacular and on the order of 1500% brighter than the most kick butt Q5 or R2 that you've ever seen.

Not to make the N30 into more than it really is or to bring the Polarion to a lesser level, but in many ways the N30 has a beam model much the same as the PH40/PH50. Obviously there is a difference in lumens but the beam shape and "usability" as BVH mentioned, is outstanding. In my humble opinion, the Costo/Harbor Freight (now the updated Ti Mega) is barely usable at all for most general lighting needs. I really consider the light a cheap alternative for someone with lots of acreage to sit on there back porch and light up their property boundary or spotlight wildlife. At 12.57 lbs, (heavier for the Ti Mega with larger battery) I certainly wouldn't walk anywhere with the darn thing, not that I couldn't, I just wouldn't want to since I have the N30 and other great lights. There is probably a real life difference of about 25% - 30% in throw between the N30 and the Ti Mega. As you may have guessed, that's not going to be the difference between lighting up "low" clouds or "high" clouds. Actually, you'll be fortunate to ever experience lighting up a cloud since it's not often that they get less that a couple thousand feet (700 yards) above ground level, at least out here in AZ.

One other thing to think about is that the 35W ballasts, like the one in the Ti Mega, are often a few watts short of an actual 35W. So in that respect the both lights are actually very close in overall lumen output, between 3000 and 3200 bulb lumens. That small difference doesn't add substantially to throw and thus the Ti Mega gets almost all of its throw advantage from the large reflector. The N30's small reflector distributes light very nicely and illuminates objects better within the eye's field of view.

Last edited:

king2penn

Enlightened
"the N30 will only reach low lying clouds." Um, I can't think of any light I that I owned which could even accomplish that feat until I got into HID.

The other thing to consider is that "low flying clouds is a very general phase and one of the reasons that I don't like it (and I realize you were just quoting). If we're going to talk about performance differences let's establish at least some measurable relativity and make reference to distance in yards, meters or feet. With respect to the N30 it already blasts bright light well past 400 yards while the corona and spill of the N30 are far superior to the Ti Mega. I don't really believe that the average person really has a good handle on how far 400 or 500 yards actually is and how rarely even us light guru's get a chance to use or experiment with HID's at those distances. Many of us CPFers came from the LED arena and might be thinking "geez, even my DBS or Tiablo will shine 300 yards." Yes, they will but they're limited to around 260 lumens and the beam angle is so small that they're almost rendered useless for any task under 50 yards and not really all that bright over 150 yards. HID is a whole different game! The amount of light is spectacular and on the order of 1500% brighter than the most kick butt Q5 or R2 that you've ever seen.

Not to make the N30 into more than it really is or to bring the Polarion to a lesser level, but in many ways the N30 has a beam model much the same as the PH40/PH50. Obviously there is a difference in lumens but the beam shape and "usability" as BVH mentioned, is outstanding. In my humble opinion, the Costo/Harbor Freight (now the updated Ti Mega) is barely usable at all for most general lighting needs. I really consider the light a cheap alternative for someone with lots of acreage to sit on there back porch and light up their property boundary or spotlight wildlife. At 12.57 lbs, (heavier for the Ti Mega with larger battery) I certainly wouldn't walk anywhere with the darn thing, not that I couldn't, I just wouldn't want to since I have the N30 and other great lights. There is probably a real life difference of about 25% - 30% in throw between the N30 and the Ti Mega. As you may have guessed, that's not going to be the difference between lighting up "low" clouds or "high" clouds. Actually, you'll be fortunate to ever experience lighting up a cloud since it's not often that they get less that a couple thousand feet (700 yards) above ground level, at least out here in AZ.

One other thing to think about is that the 35W ballasts, like the one in the Ti Mega, are often a few watts short of an actual 35W. So in that respect the both lights are actually very close in overall lumen output, between 3000 and 3200 bulb lumens. That small difference doesn't add substantially to throw and thus the Ti Mega gets almost all of its throw advantage from the large reflector. The N30's small reflector distributes light very nicely and illuminates objects better within the eye's field of view.

thanks patriot for ur lengthy review :twothumbs. I guess the N30 would thus be more suitable for a HID newbie like me :cool: