Looking for compact thrower

Spekkio

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to a co-worker at my new job my eyes have just been opened to the world of high end flashlights (I used to think Maglight was the best there was).

I recently purchased a NovaTac 85P and I am loving it. However I am looking for a compact flashlight (1, 2, or 3 CR123A batteries) that is a decent thrower. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks!

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to a co-worker at my new job my eyes have just been opened to the world of high end flashlights (I used to think Maglight was the best there was).

I recently purchased a NovaTac 85P and I am loving it. However I am looking for a compact flashlight (1, 2, or 3 CR123A batteries) that is a decent thrower. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks!
1-Cell:

- SureFire L1
- SureFire E1B
- EafleTac P10-C
- EagleTac T10-C
- Jetbeam Jet-II I.B.S
- Nitecore Extreme
- Dereelight C2H

2-Cell:

- SureFire E2DL
- EagleTac P10-C2
- EagleTac T10-C2
- Jeatbeam Jet-III Military
- Jeatbeam Jet-III Pro Ultra

3-CELL = NOT COMPACT.

But if you don't care, then go all the way to the Dereelight DBS - The Supreme King of Throw among LEDs, bar none.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
If you're on a tight budget ($25) the Shiningbeam RC-N3 is a good value thrower... with service-able flood too.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thrower? Dereelight DBS. Definitely the king of throw for compact lights without going to exotic M@gmods. Dereelights can be purchased from the manufacturer in the CPF Marketplace.

:welcome:

EDP

Newly Enlightened
This one doesn't fit the definition of high end, but it probably outthrows anything of its size. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14228

It performs all right with a 3v CR123A, but it's twice as bright on a 3.6v RCR123. With that battery, it will throw with some of the best big lights.

As far as bigger lights go, I don't think that anything is close to a Mag with the KD Aspherical kit: http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=1777.
You can build this light for under $60 and it will throw a laser-like beam for 400 yards. The wow-factor of this light impresses my friends more than anything else I have, including Mag85, ROP, and certainly any of the LED lights.

Last edited:

Spekkio

Newly Enlightened
Spekkio: I know this is the LED forum, but does the light have to be an LED light? You might be happier with an incandescent for throw.

I was thinking of an LED to keep the size down... however, if there are good, compact incandescent out there I would definitely like to hear about them.

Thanks.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have to add the http://www.dereelight.com/c2h.htm to the single cell list.

I just received this light today and with the SM reflector, it slighly out throws the EB1.

Plus I really like the UI.:thumbsup:

I'd really like to see the new Dereelight C2H compared against the EagleTac P10-C... They seem to be direct competitors.

Last edited:

Frank A.

Newly Enlightened
Tiablo A9 is an excellent thrower. Not really compact, but not really larger either. Kind of mid-size :) It runs on (2) 123s. I have been happy with mine.

Regards,
Frank A.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Spartanian II can be ordered with a smooth reflector. It is a 1 cell light with a new UI. It is only for rechargeable RCR123 though. From what the reviews say it is a great little thrower!

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
One light: E1b. I have had this for two weeks now and it out throws every other light of similar size. The Arc6, while it has twice the output, cannot touch it in the throw department. While the beam is very narrow, there is still some useful sidespill from the E1b.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
One light: E1b. I have had this for two weeks now and it out throws every other light of similar size. The Arc6, while it has twice the output, cannot touch it in the throw department. While the beam is very narrow, there is still some useful sidespill from the E1b.

There are smaller lights that will out throw the E1B. My C2H out throws my E1B and it's much smaller and has a lot brighter spill as well:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
How do you define smaller? For most of us, 3 CR123 lights are not small.

The Dereelight DBS has a Maglite sized head but it is a great thrower.

How much would you like the light to throw?
Runtime?
Multimode?

If you have a Maglite, check this thread.

:welcome:

Spekkio

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, thanks for all the replies so far, I am trying to digest all of the information. In terms of the features I am looking for I am mainly interested in throw distance with some spill, plus the compact thing I mentioned earlier. Also, battery life never hurts. :)

Spekkio

Newly Enlightened
Also, I was looking into the EagleTacs and they were advertising throw distances of 200-250 meters. I am having a tough time finding data on some of the other lights.

I know this is rather subjective... but is 200m-250m a "good" throw distance, it seems long enough for my purposes (camping, wanting to see across riverbeds/open fields/etc... outdoors).

Thanks again.