6PN + KL3 waterproof?

ewick

Enlightened
I searched the archives, and couldn't come up with anything on this, so here goes. I'm under the impression that the 6PN is the only officially recognized waterproof flashlight from Surefire, with the M3 falling under the "unofficially waterproof" category.

My quesiton is, if I take a 6PN, and put a KL3 on it, is it still officially waterproof? If so, are existing and future KLxxx heads waterproof as well?

yclo

Flashaholic*
Well, M3N's and M6N's have been known to exist but rare.

As to the waterproofness of the KL series, I leave to the experts.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
ewick,

It is my understanding that SF is doing all they can to tighten the tolerances and specs on their lights to continue to improve on the water resistant integrity of the lights. The KL series have been designed with this in mind and the circuits even have conformal coatings on them to keep moisture from degrading them over time.

As you likely know, water proof and pressure proof are two different considerations. Aside from SF's "N" certification on some of the millennium lights, where some depth ratings are mentioned, I would not assume any of the lights to be pressure proof. Your 6PN may be rated to 100 feet but you can easily flood it in 10 feet of water if the O-rings are not clean and seated properly. SureFire doesn't offer a "Dive" light currently. I think it would help if you defined what you mean by waterproof and others may post their personal experiences with their lights in similar conditions.

N certification implies that the light has been tested, in house. There is no actual "certificate" that I'm aware of and the light is not marked as "N"; at least my M3 isn't.

BTW, I found that my "clickie" on the M3 would come on at about 25' from pressure on the switch and I needed to de-activate the light using the lock out feature.

- Don

rycen

Enlightened
I have found that the old style round body bezel to be the most watreproof.I tested my KL3 on different old style bodies with no problems.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I would expect the new KL's to be waterproof and pressure proof to some depth. These are new designs and water incursion was an issue addressed in the design. I think I even saw a turtle over in Maui this year with a M3/KL6 but my memory isn't what it used to be; certainly my imagination clouds my memories..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

- Don

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
if water is going to leak into your setup, it will most probably be through the lens seal of the KL3. if it leaks through any of the other O-ring seals a simply cleaning and lubing of the O-rings should fix it.

ewick

Enlightened
Good point about o-ring maintenance. I guess by "waterproof" I mean worthy of the N rating. I don't dive, so pressure ratings don't really apply to me. But for those out there who need a little extra insurance, knowing whether a KLxxx series head negates the N rating would be a good-to-know. Thanks for the help.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought the whole aluminum Surefire line could be special ordered with the N rating for a substantial increase in the price? Is the 6PN the only stock light with N certification due to the fact it's a regularly issued Item?

Sorry if slightly off topic but this has never been substantially cleared up.

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

roguesw

Enlightened
Has anyone taked apart the kl3, the nylon ring on the bezel? does it require heating with a heatgun to weaken the glue like the kl1 setup?
thanks
Des

McGizmo

Flashaholic
roguesw,

I took the optics out of a KL3 and was sucessful in not damaging the ring very much by heating the bezel with a heat gun first. So I guess the answer to your question is yes. Your mileage may vary.....

- Don