Golden Dragon Vs Cree XRE

Jaslight

Newly Enlightened
Both the Nitecore D10 Golden dragon plus and Cree leds have the same lumens, 130 maximum.

I like the Cree leds, I have the L2D Q5 but I have never seen a beam shot of the Golden dragon. which is better overall?

Ctrain

Enlightened
Really depends what you like... theres a few cool threads explaining the differences on here... Hours of reading for you!
Check out the EX10 GDP / Q5 comparasin review...

fineday

Newly Enlightened
I prefer Cree rather than Golden dragon for Q5 have been under mass production for quite a long time while Golden dragon is a new thing. I think new product may more likely have some potential problems that need some time to be exposed.

As long as the brightness is the same, I will choose Q5 anyway.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both the Nitecore D10 Golden dragon plus and Cree leds have the same lumens, 130 maximum.
I have never seen a beam shot of the Golden dragon. which is better overall?

You should check out the CPF Flashlight Reviews section -

NiteCore D10 Golden Dragon Plus vs. NiteCore D10 (Cree-Q5)
D10gDp_D10q5.jpg
D10gDp_D10q5U2.jpg

NiteCore D10 Golden Dragon Plus Review
with direct side-by-side comparison beamshots.

Also check out:

NiteCore Golden Dragon Plus D10 & EX10 Reviews: BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIMES, etc.
comprehensive review by selfbuilt

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer Cree rather than Golden dragon for Q5 have been under mass production for quite a long time while Golden dragon is a new thing. I think new product may more likely have some potential problems that need some time to be exposed.

Not true. I have had closet lights that use Golden Dragons for months.

litetube

Enlightened
From having both the GDP and Cree D10 PDs, I would say the GDP is a pleasing smooth beam but the Cree just seems to put out more light overall especially in the sidespill and gives more of the wow factor when turned on high
My particular GDP sample of the D10 also ran quite a bit hotter than the Q5 and output would turn an angry blue on high for the 1st 10-15 mins on a new battery.
Its tru there are a cpl "rings" in the Q5 cree beam but overall it is IMHO a better overall choice. It can take being pushed hard and I think on avg. runtimes are slightly better than the GDP
I like how the GDP LED physically looks in the light but that is not really what a light is for (though looks are a hook for me also)

fineday

Newly Enlightened
Not true. I have had closet lights that use Golden Dragons for months.
I don't think months is enough to validate a product is good or not good.

Stability, electric performance, long-term performance, consistency, all of these and even more are important to judge a product. For example Q5 is proved to be a good LED after years of mass production and usage, while in my opinion SSC P4 was not that good since its long-term proformance was not as good as CREE.

And Cree, after years of using, have also exposed some potential problems, for instance, the dome would drop sometimes, the chip is not well-centered, etc.

litetube

Enlightened
It does? I could have sworn the Cree was getting better runtimes in testing done by CPFrs? I could be wrong and usually am:thinking:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
GDP runs longer than Cree Q5 in Nitecore D10...

I'm not sure if it does. Make sure the GDP and Cree Q5 were running with the exact same output. From what I've seen if they are putting out the same amount of lumens, the Cree Q5 will run longer.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I enjoy my D10 with GD+

Maybe because it's my only GD+

Somewhat on the indigo side of the spectrum. Strong hotspot and gradual transition to spill.

Some report the LED gets blue on 14500. Mine doesn't.

I was waiting for 7777 to get Extremes with GD+ in, but there is some delay.

Meanwhile, I've developed the opinion that Cree would be the safer choice. So that's what I'm getting, which also keeps me from waiting :nana:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would consider the GDP to be just as reliable as the Cree. If it weren't reliable and didn't pass abuse testing Henry wouldn't allow them in his Ra lights.
I'm quite interested in seeing some more GDP lights. I think the only thing is finding good tint bins. Crees are easier to find right now. If we can get some better tint bins that come in under 6000K then we're in business. If we can find some under 5000K then I'm in heaven.
Just my thoughts on the matter anyway...

Light-Eater

Newly Enlightened

Nothing against you or the tester, but this testing done by selfbuilt here seems to generally gives the GDP about if sometimes not worse runtime than the cree, and for a lower output too if I may add. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/206986

So there seems to be some variance from one light to the next there and one can't conclusively say whether GDP runs longer than CREE Q5 given the same conditions.

In fact, if anyone here who has both the D10 GDP and D10 CREE Q5 wanna do more runtime tests, maybe we should welcome it.

lumenal

Enlightened
I don't think months is enough to validate a product is good or not good.

Stability, electric performance, long-term performance, consistency, all of these and even more are important to judge a product. For example Q5 is proved to be a good LED after years of mass production and usage, while in my opinion SSC P4 was not that good since its long-term proformance was not as good as CREE.

And Cree, after years of using, have also exposed some potential problems, for instance, the dome would drop sometimes, the chip is not well-centered, etc.

I mostly agree, IMO CREE is the standard for HIGH-POWER LEDs, with SSC coming in a close second.

Golden Dragon seems to be a maybe, not enough data collected yet. I've read of folks receiving GD lights tinted pink, green, purple...just like the Luxeon Lottery of yesteryear...

By the way, what is LumiLEDs up to anyway, after that K2 TTFC debacle?