Problems with Fenix P2D

king2penn

Enlightened
hi i have been using my P2D for several weeks now and use it running on LiFePO4 900mAh 3V batteries of a house brand of some sort. I tested the battery life and found out that it ran only 30mins on turbo (even after giving it a 5 min rest for every 10 min run).
Also, the regulation has gone nutty- i cant access the low mode, so what i have is medium, medium and high:shakehead. I compared it with my L2D. Anyone have any similar problems? Im using the premium Q5 version. This could either be the flashlight problem or battery problem ( although i tested with a couple of rechargable batteries-they're all from the same store)

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
Try checking the battery voltage, it might be well above the 3 volt and force the light into direct drive, i.e. no low levels and the high level is extra high.

The capacity of rechargeable lithium is also less than primary lithium batteries, i.e. less runtime.

king2penn

Enlightened
Try checking the battery voltage, it might be well above the 3 volt and force the light into direct drive, i.e. no low levels and the high level is extra high.

The capacity of rechargeable lithium is also less than primary lithium batteries, i.e. less runtime.

Ok so i would expect less runtime from those rechargeable lithiums? haha but up to half the runtime gone :mecry:will be checking the voltage later however the medium mode is still working

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok so i would expect less runtime from those rechargeable lithiums? haha but up to half the runtime gone :mecry:

Primary CR123 cells have up to 1500mAh capacity and RCR123 LiFePo4 rechargeable cells have up to 500mAh REAL capacity. 900mAh is a lie...

Niconical

Enlightened
Firstly, the LifePO4 you're using is no way 900mah, more like 500 tops.

As for the runtime, 30 mins seems right, that's what I get from my AW LiFePO4 in a P2D on turbo.

About the levels, I do have a visibly different low, medium and high, but the low isn't quite as low.

It seems to me that the root of your problems is the quality of the batteries rather than the P2D, but to be sure you would need to do your runtime/brightness tests with a primary.

Stainz

Enlightened
Mine has worked flawlessly since 2/08 when it arrived here as part of the '4 in 1' kit with the Q5 Premium head. It gets hot on Turbo - and has had a couple S-F of CR123s since it arrived. I determined they were my 'answer' and ordered three dozen (<$70 shipped 2-day from CA to AL). My S-Fs and the P2D are to be 'dependable' - and ready.

I did have trouble with my last cell change - no light - took the cell out and re-installed it to yield no problems. I may need thread lube.

Stainz

PS Now AA/AAA's, do I have rechargeables - and chargers! My 3V Li primaries are fine.

LiteShow

Newly Enlightened
I've been using LiFePo4 in my P1D Cree Q5 for almost a year. This is my EDC light and I use it very often and have no problems.

Your 30 min runtime for Turbo (with rests in between) is about right. Not sure about the P2D, but the P1D sucks 1100mA using turbo. The real capacity of LiFePo4 is about 500mAh (maybe less), so by doing the math, 30 minutes is about right.

LifeP04 open voltage is about 3.3 volts. A LifePo4 under a light load (light load - when using the low mode of about 50 mA) is about 3.2 volts. That's higher than a Primary Lithium. That would explain why your Low mode may not be as low as you expect. Best think to verify is compare the Low mode using both LIFePo4 and Primary Lithium. If there is no low mode using both types of batteries, then you P2D has an issue and you should get an exchange.