Looking for a 1x123 thower (non Jet II)

UpChUcK

Enlightened
Ok, I'm looking to fill the single 123 cell thower light void in my collection. Basically I'd like something along the lines of the Jet II IBS just more efficient. I like the Jet II IBS in terms of throw performance, size and its multi-modes but is there a light that is more efficient with similar attributes and performance? Lightreviews.com rates the Jet II IBS output at 9500 lux. on a 123 so I'd like to be within 10-20% of this. More is of course acceptable :thumbsup:.

Thanks in advance.

litetube

Enlightened
Look at the SF E1B or E2dl

The E1b is amazing in the throw dept. It outthrows anything else I have had/tried I was shocked at how well it can get that light out there . I can only imagine how good the E2DL is but that is 2cell, maybe it can be run on one?

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a One Cell light, Milky's Creemator is hard to beat in the throw department. It is a E1B on steroids; and with the extra levels you have plenty of battery time if you need it.

If you do a search on "Creemator" I'm sure you will find plenty of information on it.

Bill

UpChUcK

Enlightened
Look at the SF E1B or E2dl

The E1b is amazing in the throw dept. It outthrows anything else I have had/tried I was shocked at how well it can get that light out there . I can only imagine how good the E2DL is but that is 2cell, maybe it can be run on one?

D-mini digital from Lumapower may fit the bill for you.

I just check out the D-mini and that just shot up to the top of the list. When I just checked selfbuilt's review of 1x123 lights and it is about 10% short on the throw performance of the Jet II IBS.

The E1B is about 20% short but still in the hunt.

Thanks for the good recommendations so far.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Among my 12 different 1x123 lights including SF E1B the best throwers are 1) Lumapower D-Mini with a smooth reflector and 2) Nitecore Extreme.

UpChUcK

Enlightened
Any lights not on SB's comparison worth a look?

BTW, I apologize for this thread as I see now that there are a couple other threads on this similar topic :eek: .

StarHalo

Flashaholic
There isn't a mass-produced 1x123 thrower that comes anywhere near the Jet II IBS; in Selfbuilt's shootout (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/201117) the Jet scored a 9350 lux, with the next nearest manufacturer coming in at 7940..

That being said, I'd say Milky's Creemator stands a good chance of ousting the Jet, if at least for a moment on a single cell. Just be prepared to pay five times more over the Jet to get there..

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are some lights I've measured. The ones shown as M3 are the LumaPower "Transformer". "Q5" means I've replaced the original Cree LED with a Q5 bin. "Fan" means that a fan was blowing on the light during the test.

c_c

1_X_CR123_Lights.gif

UpChUcK

Enlightened
...Just be prepared to pay five times more over the Jet to get there..

Something I'm not willing to do.

The Creemator looks nice but can't see myself paying that much.

The D-mini comes close enough for me but it really doesn't have that much better efficiency than the Jet II IBS.

I wonder if the Dereelight C2H is more efficient. Anyone know this?

Last edited:

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
One other note -- plots of total lumens for all those lights shows that the Jet II is about the most efficient of the group. It puts out about as much total light as any of them (my estimate is 149 lumens) for 38 minutes from a Li-Ion rechargeable.

c_c

Flic

Enlightened
I just check out the D-mini and that just shot up to the top of the list. When I just checked selfbuilt's review of 1x123 lights and it is about 10% short on the throw performance of the Jet II IBS.

QUOTE]

And I think that was a regular D-Mini Q2. A Digital Q5 should be much better.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast

QUOTE]

And I think that was a regular D-Mini Q2. A Digital Q5 should be much better.

I have a D Mini Digital Q5 and it has impressed me. It should put a bit more out the front than the Q2 version. With the OP reflector, it actually has a very nice, non-ringy beam with an intense hotspot.

I seem to see diffent runtime findings from BatteryJunction, Selfbuilt's review, and Flashlightreveiws.com, but either way, it's a nice little light.

I think one of the new Eagletac l x CR123a lights is supposd to be throwy, but I don't really know anything about them.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
A light could be efficient even if it has a short runtime. To compare efficiency, I'd compare lights that put out the same level of light. Many of the lights will have the same type of LED. The LED will be more efficient at lower power levels than high. The efficacy of the driver, and the heat sink will make a difference. The flashlight's mass, design and materials all can make a difference in how cool the LED stays, and how efficient the light is.

Last edited: