1xAA like CMG Infinity/Gerber but brighter?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can I get anything similar to old CMG Infinity -- it was a great lite, but pretty dim bulb.

I want something a bit brighter but with pretty good runtime. Not really 24 hours or 40 hours like the old one got but 6 would be enough. I need it to complement my primary EDC which is very bright but lacks lower modes and great run time.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't mind CR123, the Nitecore EX10 may work. It is small and if you don't use the ramping, works as a single mode light. Just ramp to the brightness you like then turn it off. The light will remember that brightness whenever you turn it on and if you misplace, loan or lose your primary EDC you will still have a light that you can access a decent low (around 3 lumens IIRC) and a decent high (100+ lumens IIRC). Check out the D10 if you want AA battery.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I do mind.. I want specifically 1xAA to have compatibility with the rest of the devices.

I want the build of CMG Infinity, tough and simple and twistie and 1xAA.
1 mode is fine, between 30-60 lumens is fine. I am not sure how many lumens the original had, but it was pretty dim. Which is fine if you are after *really* long run time.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I don't find anything real similar to it, might just have to get the Gerber.
What was the brightest you could get, and can you get Nichia LED in it?

Marduke

Flashaholic
The Gerber Infinity Ultra comes with Nichia CS. The swap to upgrade to a DS or GS (DS recommended) would almost double the brightness. But even with the CS, when ran on L91's it is about the same brightness as a Fenix E01.

That also begs the question, a Fenix E01 is about 3-4x brighter than the CMG, would that suffice?? It's also much smaller, and equally robust.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
In what ways are looking for similarity with the old CMG Infinity?

For 30-60 Lumens youre going to have to look beyond anything with a Nichia-CS/GS. There are plenty of multi-mode Cree/seoul based lights that will do that, but they all use reflectors to create a hot spot in the beam. None that I can think of are floody designs. Zebralight comes to mind but when used as a flashlight its a 90 degree (almost a crimp-neck style) and does not have a twist-cap.

I think your best bet would be a multi-mode AA with an optional diffuser-cap to flood out the beam.

**edit**
Actually, the Eveready 1AA at target will land you in the 30 Lumen ball-park. It only runs for about 4 hours though. Use scotch tape on the front lens to flood out the beam. Its only $18, and local B&M available. Its not water resistant at all though, but it is pretty robust and durable.

I bet if you use scotch tape over the lens of many 1AA lights, they will come close to the flood characteristics of the infinity.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Gerber Infinity Ultra comes with Nichia CS. The swap to upgrade to a DS or GS (DS recommended) would almost double the brightness. But even with the CS, when ran on L91's it is about the same brightness as a Fenix E01.

That also begs the question, a Fenix E01 is about 3-4x brighter than the CMG, would that suffice?? It's also much smaller, and equally robust.

EO1 sounds like what I want.

However, my reservations come from the fact I will have to introduce AAA into the logistics chain (everything I have is AA, whether Alk, NiMH or Lithium, well I do have one CR123A device)

On paper, E01 looks really good. Can I assume that Gerber AA, while not brighter, has greater run time? The last time I checked they went beyond 24 hours. I think the original did something like 40 hours.

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_69_49&products_id=443

Gatsby

Enlightened
Peak LED Solutions Kilimanjaro. You can get a single or 7 LED setup. AA battery, built like a tank, well potted electronics and a reliable design.

Call them or email Robyn and they will guide you to the power setting best meets your needs.

That - or if you're not committed to the 5mm setup - you can get a High Power Peak Pacific with a Lux III and a AA body - a lot brighter, a lot whiter and on a lithium AA it will run for 12 hours or so, and IIRC around 8 on NiMHs. And the LuxIII lights are 50% off right now!

kramer5150

Flashaholic
EO1 sounds like what I want.

However, my reservations come from the fact I will have to introduce AAA into the logistics chain (everything I have is AA, whether Alk, NiMH or Lithium, well I do have one CR123A device)

On paper, E01 looks really good. Can I assume that Gerber AA, while not brighter, has greater run time? The last time I checked they went beyond 24 hours. I think the original did something like 40 hours.

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_69_49&products_id=443

Neiher the Gerber infinity ultra or Fenix E01 will land you in the 30-60 Lumen range. They're ~10 Lumens max.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
My affinity for the CMG UltInf is well known. I'd suggest, for the money, you try a Fenix L1/2T. They've proven to me to be good substantial lights - simple, robust, and using the aa batts.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak LED Solutions Kilimanjaro. You can get a single or 7 LED setup. AA battery, built like a tank, well potted electronics and a reliable design.

Call them or email Robyn and they will guide you to the power setting best meets your needs.

That - or if you're not committed to the 5mm setup - you can get a High Power Peak Pacific with a Lux III and a AA body - a lot brighter, a lot whiter and on a lithium AA it will run for 12 hours or so, and IIRC around 8 on NiMHs. And the LuxIII lights are 50% off right now!
+1 on the Peaks.
The 50% off of the Pacific really makes it a great value. Don't try to get too much info from the website - Call Them 877-881-7325 (toll-free). One of the best things about Peak is that you call them and get a virtually custom light as far as choice of brightness/runtime/tint and body materials [HA, brass, stainless, Ti] at a less than custom price. The build quality is great.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the Peaks.
The 50% off of the Pacific really makes it a great value. Don't try to get too much info from the website - Call Them 877-881-7325 (toll-free). One of the best things about Peak is that you call them and get a virtually custom light as far as choice of brightness/runtime/tint and body materials [HA, brass, stainless, Ti] at a less than custom price. The build quality is great.

What are the details on this magical 50% sale? :D

-Trevor

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
TMedina: Here is the thread they posted in the Peak Forum.

Gunga: the Peak's I've looked at are well potted/hard to mod, but I'm certainly not the expert on this. Lux IIIs are good emitters, and I don't think the improvement you get would be worth it.