Recomendations Needed 2-3D 200 Lumen

dabear95

Newly Enlightened
Just entered the world of "better" flashlights and I am already hooked. I just picked up a Nitecore EX10 and now I want a simple D cell light with plenty of light for emergency use around the home.

I see plenty of options but most use 123 cells, and I would like to use D cells for many reasons for this light. I have looked but not found anything like this on the market:

2-3 D Cells
200+ Lumen
5 Hour life

This would also be acceptable
2-3 D Cells
5 hours+ at 50 Lumens
2 hour 200 lumen

LED of course. Budget of $125

Thanks!
Jason

dabear95

Newly Enlightened
Hey MiniLux, that is perfect and cheaper. I don't have a 3D mag, only 2 2D mags so I would have to buy a 3D mag AND the conversion. I will have to search on this lite for some reviews or opinions.

Jason

Marduke

Flashaholic
Hey MiniLux, that is perfect and cheaper. I don't have a 3D mag, only 2 2D mags so I would have to buy a 3D mag AND the conversion. I will have to search on this lite for some reviews or opinions.

Jason

It's a bit outdated. The Malkoff + Mag is head and shoulders above in quality and durability, and useful for many options for mods later down the road (as you can see in the above link)

LED_astray

Newly Enlightened

Jason

Now you're changing the criteria.

I think the Malkoff should still be considered, but on 2D it won't be as bright and, probably, won't run as long. Peruse the inserts links. There are several TeraLux inserts that get decent reviews, where you might find better tradeoffs cheaper. The Nuwai meets your specs on runtime, but I'm sure it won't run that long at full brightness, and I don't have any experience with it.

Ultimately you need to weigh what you value. For me I'd need to save a lot more than $10 to consider anything other than the Malkoff. The quality and customer support is just too high to give up for so little.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Nuwai is a bit old. The 240 lumen is achieved with 3 LEDs but that can be achieved now with one. The Luxeon IIIs are at most half the efficiency of the current gen LEDs. For the same power, the Luxeon IIIs will have half or less the output of the current gen LEDs.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would get a MicroDriver 500mA, a Litemania heatsink, an SSC, and a 2D mag. 120lm for 16 hours followed by dimming. $50 total.

dabear95

Newly Enlightened
LED_astray,
I'm not changing any rules, I kinda figured I was going to need the voltage. I also agree with not saving the 10 after doing some reading.

Thanks folks!
Jason

LED_astray

Newly Enlightened
LED_astray,
I'm not changing any rules, ....

Well, I think you were, a little. But that's actually a good thing if it gets you something you'll be happier with or can better afford. (If you've got money to burn, buy one of each! Then tell us which you like best & why. Maybe you'll save me some money down the road!)

E.g. if you had ask:

What's the cheapest upgrade I can get for my 2D Mag with reasonable brightness and around 5 hours of run time? I'd like 240 lumens if possible. (3D size is OK, if I have to. $125 is absolute max.)

I'd have answered differently. I'd have left you with the pointer to the drop ins from Marduke, added my own recommendation to reinforce it, or maybe pointed you to the TerraLux pages at Battery Junction for cheaper inserts. (About $25 for 2D Mag.) That's because I would have been thinking value and trying to suggest "good enough". (TerraLux gets mostly good reviews and is obviously cheaper.) For me $25 is very different that $69, (though $59 isn't.)

So, you can see (I hope) how the same numbers phrased a little differently could really change the answers and hopefully give you recommendations which better fit your needs.

Good luck! (And let us know what you get and how you like it.)

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might be a moot point if you already have the 2D host, but another option worth considering is the Lambda ProCharger. Lambda started building/selling them again a few months ago, and now uses U2 bins. Eight hour runtime on 2x 10,000mAh NiMH D cells. The specs for the new model don't list it, but the previous ProCharger P4 SE was built to run on 2D and 3C - the D's for extra runtime, and the C's for extra brightness (1.3A to the emitter). The new specs still list the Pro Series DC/DC converter, so maybe the same flexibility still applies.

MiniLux

Newly Enlightened
Hi Gunner12,

thanks for those clear and brief precisions about that light :twothumbs

MiniLux

The Nuwai is a bit old. The 240 lumen is achieved with 3 LEDs but that can be achieved now with one. The Luxeon IIIs are at most half the efficiency of the current gen LEDs. For the same power, the Luxeon IIIs will have half or less the output of the current gen LEDs.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast