2 weeks no power. Favorite light.... FF3

Tremendo

Enlightened
With Hurricane Ike, we had 2 full weeks (yes 14 days) of no power. I have a small generator we used a bit, but needless to say, nobody laughed at my flashlight collection. My EDC for months became my #2. The Nitecore Defender Infinity switch would occascionally have issues, and it's a little large and doesn't tail stand. It's also more likely to scratch my iphone 3G, as they occasionally pass in the same pocket.

So... I pull out my Firefly 3, my old EDC. Maybe it's not quite as bright as the Nitecore, but it's very close. My 3 rechargeable batteries still work well, the light stayson low and medium for a very long time anyway. I charges them with the generator occasionally, but was surprised at how much useful light you get on 1 charge (medium/low power).

Either way, it became my favorite light for the 2 weeks with no power. Other favorable mentions that got lots of use are the Nitecore DI, Surefire U2, Rexlight, Fenix P2D P100, Jet C LE, the most used lights were my Chinese fauxtons, that I still have many of.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know from camping long run times are important.Bright is nice ,but when its really dark,long running lights are essential.I have hung those key chain lights from inside the tent to illuminate and read by,also Mini mag with a smjled has run for 3 trips this summer ,same alk batteries!

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the report. These Rubber-Meets-The-Road reports are the most useful.

I've given away a lot of Fauxtons, but keep a supply mostly for fun with the different colors, but I know they have very practical uses as well.

I'm waiting for a short outage to help get organized.

Tremendo

Enlightened
I've given away a lot of Fauxtons, but keep a supply mostly for fun with the different colors, but I know they have very practical uses as well.
I had about 500 fauxtons made maybe 2 1/2 years ago for my business, but still have probably 50. The new ones still work great and we would leave them on around the house. Those things burn for many hours on 2 x 2016 natteries that they have. I always had the FF3 (and extras), but the keychain lights were the most used by all.

I'm not sure now if my issue with my Nitecore DI was so much the switch messing up or that when the battery dies, there's no warning and it just starts messing up the circuit and getting weak (I use Lithium). I would be in the dark, so I started carrying a back up. But the FF3 just loses brightness, but is still functional for a time.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm guessing this is one reason my Firefly III is one of my primary EDC's :)
While it's not always in my pocket it's always close by if not on me. Great lights - just too bad what happened with the maker.